[RELEASE] Monoprice/Linear/GoControl WAPIRZ-1 Motion Sensor with Temperature and Battery Device Type (Updated)

Just a quick note. We’ve been in touch with the Ecolink Product development VP and his team.
They are releasing a new sensor next quarter that uses the new 500 series z-wave plus hardware.
Also working with them to integrate a temperature sensor and configurable options in the next design revision.
Once it’s out we’ll update the device handler to support the new Ecolink hardware also.

2 Likes

I need some basic assistance. I have the monoprice zwave (it is model zp3102us) and I just can’t get ST to find the device.I have tried excluding the device, doing a reset on the hub,but it never shows up in devices. I have pulled the battery for 15 minutes; I have another unit I paired with no issue

I had this issue but my hub has been acting up for a few days. Turns out they showed up as “thing” under devices not yet configured and the app doesn’t inform you when this happens. This happened to me on 3 sensors. I had to edit them in the devices page to force them into the proper handler. Not sure why, but that did it.

First thanks for the response; my problem is that there’s nothing showing up in devices. It was there earlier but I deleted in error and now nothing shows up.

If you deleted the device without excluding it won’t pair up until you exclude it. To exclude the monoprice sensor, set the hub into exclude mode (log into the IDE -> My Hub -> View Utilities -> Z-Wave Exclude.
Place the sensor within 1 meter of the hub and push a pin into the little hole behind the sensor to initiate exclusion.

thanks; I did yesterday and I did again today and same result.

If it showed up earlier and not now it’s definitely an exclusion and an inclusion issue. It’s not excluding properly, it can take a few tries. Push a button with the cover open, with the cover closed etc - try a couple of things. These devices are a little finicky.

Try the EcoLink solution, take the battery out of 5 seconds atleast while the hub is in exclude and mode and then reinsert it.

not sure what finally did itwhether it was pulling the battery while doing a reset but it finally showed up - thanks.

I have a different question i ordered 2 motion sensors and the first one displayed as Aeon device and this displayed as a Monoprice -can I use the same code you have published

I almost forgot; thank you so much

1 Like

If they are both Monoprice yes definitely. I think the monoprice shows up as a Aeon sensor but go ahead and change it this handler for both.

Thanks again; the newer model works with the same code but just it initially now shows up as a monoprice and not Aeon

Just switched over to this from the My Monoprice V2 device type and I’m finally getting battery to report!
Thank you.
Now I can get these on my SmartTiles dashboard without it looking stupid.

Also liking the ability to adjust reset time. I have 2 of these, but only one is used for motion. The other is used as a cheap temp sensor, so I don’t need it resetting motion.

1 Like

I find the Monoprice sensors are not good for critical areas to detect motion.I have one set in a hallway and the lag causes it to miss people walking by it. It seems to detect motion every 4-5 seconds. I have a ST motion sensor and it detects motion almost immediately. I will not be buying Monoprice sensors anymore. I guess that’s why they are inexpensive.

Every time I say this, people spit and boo. Turns out the ST Motion sensors are really quite good, if not a tad over-sensitive at time.

1 Like

If your main goal is motion detection I find the ST ones are very good, and the best value for my money (that still looks unobtrusive).

I have tried using them for their temperature feature, but the inaccuracy and long reporting interval makes them not very good for that.

Cheers,

Matthew

1 Like

I think the Iris ones might be the best bang for your buck without looking unobtrusive (smaller form factor than even the ST ones). I use one of the ST in a high traffic area and also an Iris one in another. Both work well, but the Iris one is a little cheaper ($10 cheaper at full price, plus plenty of Lowes discounts available one way or another).

For the 20-22 that the monoprice ones cost, they are great for low traffic areas and also as add-on temp sensors.

I agree Monoprice isn’t the most sophisticated or sensitive sensor out there but for the $20 price it’s biggest bang for it’s buck. It’s great for areas where you don’t mind a 4-5 second delayin the notification or you don’t mind not being able to configure sensitivity (like the Pet feature). You’ generally okay with capturing motion in the room just not if a mice is moving round. The temp sensor is really why I started out with this. E.g I use this in my kids room to sense motion in the room and then use one of my apps to turn on/off the HVAC to maintain a temperature while he’s in the room.
For the general areas (e…g living room) where I have pets or want to capture the movement of a mice, I use the EcoLink sensor, the darn best quality sensor out there, the pet mode is a super accurate and in no pet mode it’ll catch a mouse and I’ve never had a false positive with it either. However it’s $32 bucks and no temp sensor. (actually we’re in discussion with their product VP for the next gen sensor to include a temp sensor and make some parameters like inactivity timeout configurable, will keep the forum posted).

1 Like

I thought the EcoLink was exactly the same hardware as the Monoprice/GoControl/etc… And I thought it had temperature too?

I thought do too until I bought and compared them. The similarities stop at the visual aspects. They are poles apart in features and performance like I mentioned above. But then again it depends on what you want. Eco link product team will include the temp sensor on the next release in probably 2017. 2016 model will have zwave plus 500 series chipset . Until then monopole is great for basic temp and sensor combo. I would not use it if I want pet detection but for everything else it’s a good option.

1 Like

@rboy Does the Ecolink report motion immediately like the ST sensor?