[RELEASE] Mode Based Thermostat - Control Multiple Thermostats Temperature / Remote Temperature Sensors when Changing Modes

You can try to see if this app I’ve written supports your needs.

Ultimate Mode Change Thermostat Temperature
Version 2.1.0
Fixed a bug when using individual modes for individual thermostats not setting the correct temperature.

###Ultimate Mode Change Thermostat Temperature - Version 2.2.0

• Fixed a bug when selecting only one mode and not enabling configure individual temperatures for each mode
  • Fixed UI and made it simpler

###Ultimate Mode Change Thermostat Temperature - Version 2.3.0

• Added support to automatically check for SmartApp and Device updates and notify user

After updating the code, open the SmartApp and click Next and then Done for the changes to take effect

I’d love it if you could add some remote sensor functionality into this app, and maybe the ultimate? When Away, I just want to have a single low temp but have input from remote sensors.

1 Like

i second this. Remote temp sensors would be awesome. I had a look at the code and its it WAYYYYYY beyond my skill set

So here is something to think about. When doing remote temp sensor the
temperature on the thermostat will be set to extremes (like 90 and 40) and
it will be turned on and off to manage the temperature based on the remote
sensor. This disturbs some people out and we get mails like that’s not what
I set. Are you comfortable with seeing 90 and 40 on the screen?

i’m fine with that. Using the CT100 i rarely look at the the thermostat. and i’d be using the remote sensors for stuff like Night time.

@RBoy

Since the word ‘Change’ is in the name of this app, I guess I maybe should know the answer, but just to be sure…

Does this app monitor and maintain the temps as long as the system is in the configured Mode, or does it only set them when Modes change, and has no knowledge of what happens between Mode changes?

I’m assuming it’s the latter.

Correct it’s the latter. It’s more like a hold mode option in a thermostat. The thermostat sets the programmed temp. If the user changes it manually it won’t change it back and thus implemented a temporary hold. At the next schedule / mode it will update the temperature.

However when using a remote temp sensor (TBD) it will not hold the temp if changed by the user but will revert back to the desired temperature as set in the program.

OK, thanks.
Now, I understand everything else, but what is this?..

[quote=“RBoy, post:30, topic:6652, full:true”]
…remote temp sensor (TBD)…[/quote]

The next version of the app will allow the SmartApp to use a Remote Temperature sensor to manage the thermostats (instead of using the local built in temperature sensor), this is on request from users (see above). The other Rboy thermostat apps already have this feature built into them.

1 Like

###Ultimate Mode Change Thermostat Temperature - Version 02.04.00

• Added support for multiple remote temperature sensors per thermostat
  • Added support for temporary hold mode (i.e. SmartApp wont’ change temperature if manually changed by user until the next mode change)

After updating the code, open the SmartApp and click Next and then Done for the changes to take effect

1 Like

###Ultimate Mode Change Thermostat Temperature - Version 02.04.01

• Bugfix for temporary hold mode when using remote temperature sensors
1 Like

@RBoy

I’d like to have the ability to enable/disable this app.

I have several other apps that have this sort of thing built in. It’s basically an option that can be linked to a switch, and I usually use a virtual (Simulated) switch for this purpose.

Any chance you’d be willing to add something like that to this SmartApp?

So you’re looking at not having this app change the thermostat temperatures when the mode changes if a switch is on? Am trying to understand the use case. We love feedback but in all honest the priority is to keep it simple and intuitive.

The use case is the fact that, as the manager of my own home automation infrastructure, as well as that of multiple other localities, I like having a way of quickly stopping all (or as much as is possible and practical) SmartApp processing (whether for scheduled maintenance, testing, upgrades, troubleshooting, or whatever).

The only other way of doing this (unless I’m missing something) would be to uninstall the SmartApp.
Seems to make more sense to have some sort of disable function/mechanism/capability in the app.

The part about the virtual switch and all that is just an example.
i.e. Though I don’t know how to do it myself, you (a coder) could also just bake the disabling functionality right into the app itself (I’ve seen this in a number of apps).

The reason I prefer the virtual switch method is for simplicity on the management side.
i.e. With the ‘baked-in’ method, whenever it’s time to disable SmartApps, I’d need to go around to every SmartApp in my system, and click all of their disable options or whatever.

However, with the switch method, if every SmartApp in my system had this capability built in, I would only have to click a single switch, and they’d all be disabled.

I created a mode where nothing executes.

1 Like

Me too.
However, without a built-in Mode-Restriction feature, how will that help with what I’m requesting here for this particular SmartApp?
If there is no built-in capability to enable us to limit or prevent this SmartApp from processing, it doesn’t matter what ‘Mode’ anything else is in.

Most SmartApps can be limited by modes (with the use case of what you want in mind).