[Deprecated] Lutron Caseta Connect V1.5

Edit: Issue resolved.

Glad you got it working. What was the issue? Are you using the other version or the newer node version. Just curious. Thanks!

Was scrolling through the comments and found the solution last night. The device number was different so I had to factory reset the pro hub in order to resolve. Post #127.

Working great now!

1 Like

Interesting. It’s a weird glitch that I don’t really understand. Why the two servers end up with different numbers for the same device I cannot say, but sadly it’s not uncommon. My newer version will avoid this problem. I haven’t officially released it but it works a bit differently so this doesn’t happen. Glad it’s working for you though.

1 Like

For anyone looking for a button controller app for the Lutron Picos, I created a heavily modified verson of Button Controller+ app that simplifies configuring remotes, especially picos. It has support for incremental brightness adjustments that are operational in the soon to be released nodeJs version of this smartApp. It also allows you to convert your light picos into audio picos.
Hopefully some of you find it useful.

1 Like

Hey njschwartz, I just purchased a Lutron Smart Bridge Pro 2 and have a Raspberry Pi running HomeBridge in order to get some extra functionality, I was wondering if there was a way to use your expertise and somehow get Pico Remotes to work on HomeKit through Homebridge.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey @HK12 so sorry for the slow response. I have been away for a bit. I have to be honest, I am not super familiar with homebridge, so I cannot say for sure just yet about the picos. Let me look at it and see how it works and maybe we can find a way to get something working.

Not sure if anyone has poked around on the SSH LEAP interface, but I found a few useful commands.

Check if the LIP server is enabled:

{"CommuniqueType":"ReadRequest","Header":{"Url":"/server"}}

Enable the LIP Server (equivalent to a user doing it in the app):

{"CommuniqueType":"UpdateRequest","Header":{"MessageBodyType":"OneServerDefinition","Url":"/server/2"},"Body":{"Server":{"EnableState":"Enabled"}}}

Integration report for the Smart Bridge Pro users:

{"CommuniqueType":"ReadRequest","Header":{"Url":"/server/2/id"}}

If you do a ReadRequest on a button, e.g. /virtualbutton/1, you’ll see a /preset/1 and if you grab that, you’ll see another href, eg. /presetassignment/13
Once you figure out the preset assignment you can change the Delay and Fade Time for that button (pico or virtual scene button).

For example, set the fade time for scene 1 (/presetassignment/13 in my case) to 120 seconds and fade off to level 0:

{"CommuniqueType":"UpdateRequest","Header":{"MessageBodyType":"OnePresetAssignmentDefinition","Url":"/presetassignment/13"},"Body":{"PresetAssignment": { "Level": 0, "Fade": 120 }}}

It sort of makes fade times available at least for the pico and scene buttons on the non-pro smart bridge.

There are also CommandTypes PressAndHold and Release if you ever wanted to simulate pressing a raise or lower button on a pico. Not sure how it would help, but you never know what people might come up with. Enjoy!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find it in this thread. Does this integration support multiple SmartBridges (i.e., more than 50 Caseta devices)? I’ve been happy with the official integration so far, but as I continue replacing switches in our new house with Caseta switches, I am close to hitting the 50 device limit and am wondering whether switching to the unofficial integration will let me exceed it. Thanks.

Hey sorry for the insanely slow response. I’ve used most of those and in fact my integration uses several of them. The press and hold and release commands are the most interesting to me actually. I think there might be some stuff I could do with that. I’ll have to think more about it. I haven’t had time the last few months to do any work on this but should have some soon and want to get it working even better. Thanks!!

@Clang so this isn’t something I had ever thought about and thus I have not built in that sort of functionality at least to this point. That being said you can use it along with the official integration where one handles each hub… That should work.

It’s certainly something that may be possible. I can think about it and see what would need to change to make that work.

1 Like

@njschwartz, thanks for the reply. I’d thought about what you suggested, using the official integration for one hub and unofficial for the other. I expect that would work, though I was hoping to use one or the other for both hubs, as obviously having two different integrations to keep updated, etc., is more work and more room for incompatibility. But that’s probably what I’ll try first if it comes down to it.

I’m not at the 50 device limit yet, so only have the one hub. But I see it coming up in the near future if I continue to replace switches with Caseta devices. If I do get a second hub, I will let you know and could help you with the changes/testing.

Yea do let me know. I’ve been thinking about it a bit and certainly think it’s doable although there some things I would have to figure out. I’ll hopefully have time to play around a bit soon and maybe I can throw something together. :slight_smile:

@njschwartz

You may recall, you helped me setup the ‘new’ version of your SmartApp (the NodeJs version) on a Raspberry Pi to allow me to use Lutron Picos to control my Hue Lights. It is working flawlessly. In fact, once again I need you to know you are my hero. Because of you, I now have 9 separate Picos around the house that run through your invention. 6 of them run Hue lights and 3 of them trigger routines or other commands in ST. To say that I am “all in” is an understatement. My electrician has now re-wired those junction boxes (for the Hue lights) to make the bulb sockets “always on” and in place of the old switch I now have a Pico to turn the lights on and off. This allows for complete automation and local control. This was a critical step for me because the Pico is the ONLY solution I know about that allows a local device to fit within the Decora style form factor within the junction box to maintain a clean look.

But that is only the beginning. Because now that it works, I started adding Lutron ELV dimmers to the regular light loads to “fill out” the remaining 2 and 3 gang box spots. And I didn’t stop there either because I finished the entire level of the house with Lutron Caseta switches. And it all works flawlessly.

So… all that said, I am maxed out at 49 devices (the Lutron hub counts as a device - so the max is really 49 - not 50 - and it doesn’t help that 3-way and 4-way switch circuits require Picos for the second and/or third switch - and these count as devices so the device limit comes up fast). This latest topic by @Clang is exactly where I am at with this project. I still have a basement level to complete. I need another Lutron Pro Hub.

As you know, your NodeJs only searches for Picos. If you actually do get back into the project, will you be pursuing the NodeJs app moving forward? Because if you do, and it allows discovery of Lutron Picos and actual Lutron dimmers and switches as well, in theory we could use two hubs from Lutron - either both through your app or one through your app and the other the official Lutron offering.

This device limit is a big issue with Lutron. I am encouraged others are in need as well because necessity is the mother of invention. Of course I understand this is a hobby but I wanted you to know the NodeJs version is working fantastic and I will of course be following this thread into the future if you do pursue the project further.

@Clang

We are in the same boat. If you do move forward with the app in this thread, consider the NodeJs version. I still have the setup instructions Nate gave me that I can forward to you. Also, if this solution does not happen, can you share with me how you intend to overcome this issue and I will help you too if I figure it out? Thanks for posting your question!

1 Like

Hey I am so happy to hear that it has worked out well for you so far. Honestly that is what makes working on and sharing these projects rewarding. Thanks for the kind words!! I am glad to hear the node version is working well. It is also interesting to hear some peoples use cases for this project. I would love to hear if you use any of the ramping capabilities that the node version has as well and what you use for a button controller.

My original thought when I started the node version was that everyone would prefer the built in system and thus I chose not to add that functionality to it. It seems that may have been an oversight on my part.

I fully intend to continue work on this project and I anticipate over the coming weeks I will have time to work on it again. Adding the ability to add the actual switches won’t be difficult at all. Supporting two hubs is the part I am not 100% certain about. I THINK it is doable. but I am not sure exactly how yet. I will keep you and everyone up to date on this as I start to work on it again and hopefully will have something that lets you add switches AND multiple hubs very soon. Thanks again!

Nate

1 Like

For now I am using Advanced Button Controller and the Samsung Smart Lighting Apps for button control. I also use the Simple Control app for my iPads on each level of the house to run the AV systems (Simple Control is the front end to trigger about 7 different global cache devices that blast IR or serial control of AV equipment that lack direct IP control). I have the Simple Control Hub as well to interface ST to Simple Control. So one thing I did that is kind of neat is create a virtual switch in ST to turn on and off my TV and receiver by linking the virtual switch to the Simple Control Hub, and I have the ‘favorite’ button on the bedroom Pico set to toggle the virtual switch through the Advanced Button Controller app. This way, I can walk into my room and press the Pico button to turn on the AV system. It’s pretty slick.

Finding time to tweak things is tough! But next up I need to get into your app and program Pico buttons 4 and 5 to ramp up and ramp down the Hue brightness. I’m not a programmer but I think I get how to do it as I see the comments in your script. I need to play with it. Also I need to tweak the ms for the long press v. short press of a button so that I really need to hold button for 1.5 seconds for a long press. Right now I need to be pretty quick to press and release or it thinks it’s a long press (so I am cheating for the moment making dual parallel commands for long or short). But this looks easy… I just need to do it.

1 Like

@AdamHLG @Clang Hey guys I just wanted to throw an update out to you letting you know I have begun working on the multiple lutron bridges project and am making some decent progress with it. I think it will be very doable, but may take me a little while to complete. Just out of curiosity do you guys both have multiple hubs already? If so are they both Pro versions? I think I can make it so that you can use either or (I have one regular and one pro to test with). I will let you guys know how it goes and hope to have a decent product out there for you soon!

Nate

1 Like

This is awesome news! I do not have a second Lutron hub yet but when I get the second hub it will be a Pro version just in case. Once you get to a point that you are confident this will work and you are ready to test things let me know and I will purchase the second hub. No rush! I am still paying for the Lutron gear and the wife is slowly giving me less grief about how much money I have been spending on this stuff!

I think a lot of people will be happy about this post.

Edit: In case you didn’t see this, I found this thread while poking around the internet. Not sure if there is potentially useful information here. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/lutron-caseta-interface/6229/93

I also don’t have a second hub yet. I’m getting close to filling up the first hub, though, so depending on how much progress I make, I might need a second hub within a few weeks.

Things are more complicated while setting up LutronPi on my Raspberry Pi 3b (Raspbian Jessie).

First, the ‘twisted’ and ‘paramiko’ in Raspbian repo are old. I can make python running, but with warnings. So I decide to use pip packages.

Here is the full steps I’ve used.

# Install build tools and headers
sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev

# Replace pip
sudo apt-get purge python-pip
wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
sudo python get-pip.py

# Install packages
sudo pip install twisted==16.0.0
sudo pip install cryptography
sudo pip install paramiko
sudo pip install service_identity

I found Twisted 17 will give ‘OP_NO_TLSv1_1’ error.

If you have installed ‘twisted’ and ‘paramiko’ from Raspbian repo (using ‘apt-get’), it is better to remove them BEFORE doing the setup above.

sudo apt-get purge python-twisted
sudo apt-get purge python-paramiko
sudo apt-get purge python-cryptography
sudo apt-get purge python-libffi
sudo apt-get autoremove

Now, I can run LutronPi.py with no error and no warnings.

But I cannot find my Raspberry Pi server in the ST SmartApp.

Edit: It seems the LutronPi.py is not listening on Port 1900 for SSDP. I’m not familiar with either Python and Twisted, not sure how to debug this.

EDIT 2017/08/29:
Got it running on my CentOS 7. Still cannot find through SSDP.
But it can get events from Lutron Bridge on both RPI and CentOS.
I modified the LutronPi.py and let it print all search requests. Nothing reported, even if I’m using some generic UPnP search tool. It seems Twisted SSDP is not running properly.