[Deprecated] Lutron Caseta Connect V1.5

Sent you a message with instructions… Let me know how it goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s working for me now! Not sure what counts as “lots of devices” but I have 24 devices connected to my lutron hub.

Yea I’m not sure what the magic number was for that but I fixed it anyway so it shouldn’t be an issue either way. Glad it works. Please let me know if there is anything you see that is a broke or feature requests. :slight_smile:

Hey all…for those of you that have had a chance to install/test the new node setup I was just wondering if anyone has encountered any issues. I think it is much easier and seems to just work, but I want to be sure before moving ahead too much and releasing it.

I added some customization to how things work as well. You can now do both a quick press, or a held button to get different events essentially giving you double the buttons to work with. You can customize how long you have to hold a button before it triggers the held event as well.

Along with that, I have made it so you can decide how the “hold” works. For most things it is best to be a single event i.e. I hold and a single event is sent to trigger something and this is what it defaults to. However, I have a setup to use one of my Picos to operate a sonos speaker and, in particular, adjust volume. So I made it so you can opt for a held button to send the same event over and over again. This gives a kind of ramping feature. It could be good for lights too. It is pretty easy to specify which devices and which buttons specifically you want to act in this manor.

Anyway, if no one has uncovered anything major I will probably do a write up later to let everyone give it a shot. And of course if anyone has any suggestions/idea for improvement please do let me know.

Nate

Oh my gosh, I was going to post back to see why I would go back to this instead of the “official” Lutron offering, but this cinches the deal. With 6 Sonos speakers throughout the house, this is fantastic without having to buy the pricy “Sonos” Pico remotes!

I didn’t realize the hold button would work that way.

I’ve been struggling to use the enhanced button controller to naturally dim the lights, I have it set to just do certain levels of dimming. if anyone has any ideas, love to hear your suggestions.

I don’t believe it works that way on most button devices and most button controller smartApps don’t allow you to increment or decrement light levels …so you have to use something like Core/webCore to accomplish progressive light dimming.
@njschwartz any suggestions?

Yea~I think @stephack is right. Most button controller apps will not work correctly because they weren’t designed with this in mind. You have two options really, alter the button controller to do what you want, or in my opinion the simplest option…use webCoRE. That is what I setup for SONOS and lights and it works great. See the piston below to get the idea.

Also, I cannot remember which version I gave you to test originally, but I made some updates that let you pick how you want the buttons to act. Update the lutronpro node app “node install lutronpro” and make sure the DTH and Smartapp are the latest versions. Then take a peak at the runServer.js file on the github again: https://github.com/njschwartz/lutronpro/blob/master/runServer.js Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Just to be clear, the new stuff I am working on is designed to not overlap with the “official” offering. As of right now it lets you add Picos only and use them however you see fit. No switch control or scenes.

Nate - thanks for the example, this was a lifesaver!

I now have two groups of LIFX Br30 bulbs working exactly like I want. Button 1 sets the collor temperature to 3200K at 100%, Button 2 off, Button 4 dim up in either hold or press/Button 5 dim down and 3 sets a random color with the dimming buttons working. The timing was great it looks like Webcore just added LIFX recently.

Just curious if anyone here has this node.js setup running in a docker image? I have unraid in particular and would love to have this running in a docker rather than my current Ubuntu VM setup (seems to have a significant delay between button press and action). If so, I’d be grateful for any tips on getting it set up.

Cant get this rolling on my ubuntu machine for the life of me. I’ve got node.js and npm installed, and i’ve run ‘sudo npm install lutronpro’ but when trying to execute ‘node runServer.js’ i’m getting an error:

Error: cannot find module ‘./nodetest.js’

Any thoughts as to where I’m going wrong?

Crap that is my bad…I uploaded a new version of the runServer but left in some testing stuff. I just fixed it. Basically just change that very first line to var lutronpro = require(‘lutronpro’); Sorry about that.

Nate

1 Like

that did it. Thank you!

Good good…sorry about that.

Just checking in, been using this for a few weeks on my ubuntu VM with no issues. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Great to hear! Thanks for the update.

Good morning. I am starting out of the gate here on this project. I have never owned a Raspberry Pi but I am fairly good at following directions. I purchased a Canakit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit 32 GB edition, along with a Lutron Smartbridge Pro, SmartThings Hub, and Pico remote, so I can play around and see if I can get this to work. My question is, given the past few posts, am I better off going direct to this NodeJs (instead of following the instructions in the first post) if I am starting from scratch? If so, is this link http://thisdavej.com/beginners-guide-to-installing-node-js-on-a-raspberry-pi/ a good instruction set to get the Pi ready and then all I do is add the new script from the github? Figured I should ask before I start opening the amazon box. Thanks.

Hey Adam. Yea that guide is pretty good. You can skip all that stuff at the start and just go to the node install section depending on what you want to do. Mine is just connected to my network and I SSH into it and do everything from the command line. If you want the GUI then follow the whole guide of course.

And yea you are correct, the newer thing I built is the way to go. It is simpler and just generally better I think. I need to make a new post and add instructions etc., but I have been pretty busy and haven’t gotten around to it. That being said if you want to try it I can message you a little guide. Good luck!

Thanks Nate. I’d love it if you would PM me a little guide. Only if you have time. I don’t want to impose.