[Deprecated] Lutron Caseta Connect V1.5

I assume you are saying that the staples hub had an immediate response controlling LUTRON devices. That hub has clearconnect built in so it directly controlled the lights. If you are trying to control lutron lights then this smartapp is unnecessary and you should use any of 3 options.

1. Have the picos directly paired with the lutron switch.
  2. Connect the pico to the lutron hub and pair it to the switch you need there.
  3. Use option 2 above, and also use the official integration with smartthings to allow automation of these lights.

All 3 options allow a very fast response for pico to lutron switch control. The only real benefit of this smartapp is that you can use the pico to control any other device connected to smartthings including speakers, locks, non lutron lights, etc. Unfortunately, there is a small delay in this function. It MAY be something njschwartz can look into when he can refocus on this app.

No. With the StaplesConnect, I have Pico remotes controlling GE Link bulbs. The response is so immediate that you would believe they were wired. I have had this setup for years and only more recently got into the SmartThings hub for more functionality since development of the Staples hub has died off. I’ve heard everyone cheer for Wink and SmartThings local support but Staples had this sorted for a long time. Unfortunately, this has made me jaded.

The question is…how attached are you to your picos? There are other button controllers available that can provide quick functionality. Before this smartapp, I used aeon mimimote to control my lights and they offer more functionality (button held options). Might ne something to consider as they regularly go on sale.

Too attached, unfortunately. I have them wall-mounted as switches and I don’t really want to give that up…especially since they are working flawlessly with the Staples hub. It looks like some Lutron plug-in dimmers may address to of my rooms and I can just run them directly off the Lutron hub. The other room has the Picos operating bulbs in a ceiling fan so my options are limited. It looks like the Lutron Connected Bulb Remote may work but, ideally I would like to use the buttons as 2 sets of on/off buttons for 2 different sets of lights in a room instead of the on/dim up/dim down/off for one set of lights they seem to offer.

1 Like

I got everything updated. I haven’t tried out the pico’s yet but, dimmers and scenes are working. The icon for the manager is a nice touch!

To update, I simply copied the new code over the old for all the existing files, and added the new DH. I did not lose any of the CoRE/smartapp integrations!

I’ll play with the ramp rate sooner or later.

Nice work!

Anyone know a way (for dummies) to run the lutronpi.py as a service for a win7 machine? :grin: That will be tomorrows mission

Hey all, I know this question gets asked a lot, but the recent update for android 2.3.0 has me wondering. With the update it says "New Autodiscovery LAN Devices:+Add a Thing now includes LAN devices such as Hue Lights, Sonos, and Bose speakers. Do you still need a Lutron bridge for Lutron Serena Shades? I just want to use smartthing app to control them.

thank you for your help.

I just discovered the Official lutron integration by mistake in the Blinds and Shades. I added a light and did some testing.

The official lutron connect is considerably faster then the Pi when reacting to a command. If I had to guess speed, i would guess the Lutron connect respondes in about 300ms and the lutron Pi responds in about 700ms. I’m not splitting hairs or anything :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as feedback, the Lutron Pi is MUCH faster to update. I’m not sure if this really matters to me yet. I tested by controlling directly at the wall dimmer and watching my phone. The Pi would update in about 3 seconds and lutron connect in about 9 seconds. Again, not sure if this matters to me.

I read the official lutron integration will be cloud-to-cloud but, with speed like what I’m seeing, it has to be local control! Is it?

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve found the Pi Connect to be the same speed. That said, since I don’t have a Pro I’m probably going to switch over to the official integration … at least until I find a great deal on a pro. I got sniped on eBay on my last attempt…

For the last 10 minutes I’ve been turning the lights on and off. My neighbor probably thinks I need help if hes watching. Lol I wonder if its slower do to with running the python script on windows? A couple tenths of a second isn’t noticeable unless you look for it.

Im waiting for the wifey to finish streaming a movie so I can unplug the modem and test if the lights still work

I read the official lutron integration will be cloud-to-cloud but, with speed like what I’m seeing, it has to be local control! Is it?

Had the same question myself but as per Tyler himself…it’s cloud to cloud.
There is a difference in speed but you have to really be looking for it…and I mean really looking. It’s imperceptible to most people. I pick up on very subtle speed differences (why I can’t use Sonos soundbar for tv) so I noticed it myself but it really doesn’t matter for this function.

1 Like

Well, I tried to come up with the answer but I’m coming up short. Sorry if this is taking the thread off topic.

My tests results are that, without internet, neither the official or the Pi will work for me. I tried with smartapps (I thought) run locally but, I am still learning so I am not really sure where it is breaking.
-tested with CoRE (simple door contact/motion)
-tested with Smart Lighting (again, just simple contact/motion)
-tested with Smart Home Monitor (I thought for sure this ran local)

I guess I just need to accept that without an internet connection, ST is useless. :sob: How do I explain to the wife that the lights won’t work if the internet goes down hahahaha?! (I live in the mountains/woods and it goes down a dozen times per year). She got spoiled quickly by all the motion lighting.:grin:

Only a few ST device handlers and smartapps work locally. If there are any non compatible devices in an automation, then the entire automation is run through the cloud. No custom device handlers or custom apps can run locally at this point.

So…if your internet goes down your going to have to use them old fashioned switches on the wall my friend :slight_smile:
Or a pico remote that you connected directly to the switch of course.

See this list:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/faq-confirmed-local-processing-working-device-handlers/?source_topic_id=78965

1 Like

The only SmartThings-controlled stuff that runs locally at the present time is devices using device handlers that are eligible to run locally (see the link @stephack just posted) accessed through the official SmartLighting feature or a few bits of the official Smart Home Monitor feature. And…that’s it.

No LAN integrations run locally at the present time even if they don’t have to touch the cloud. In fact, your official SmartThings mobile app can’t talk to your ST hub if the ST cloud is not available, even if the phone is connected to your WiFi.

And just to keep things exciting, there’s no way to arm/disarm Smart Home Monitor if the ST cloud is not available. So you can have it set up so that a locally operating sensor will trigger your locally operating siren–but you won’t have anyway to disarm the system locally. :cold_sweat:

So no local operation for any custom code (including the stuff in this thread) or any lutron devices at this time.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/209979766-Local-processing

To avoid hijacking this thread, further discussion of SmartThings local processing should be taken to the following topic:

Thank you (and to Stephen, also) for taking the time to clarify that for me… I was under the wrong impression about local control. I thought cloud-to-cloud obviously wouldn’t work but, njschwartz’s would because the “middle man” is local.

I learned two things:
1.) I completely understand how and why local control is mostly non existent for any super user.
2.) How patient you are with the same question being asked a billion times :joy:

3 Likes

Anyone else having an issue with the Pico remotes? I got this set up last night and it seems to work, but there is no response when pressing buttons on the pico. I can see the button press in the log on the ST dev portal and I see the remote as a device in ST. I can even “press” buttons on the smartthings app and it works with my automations, but no response from physically pressing the pico. I do have a pro bridge.

A few things to check.

1. make sure you didnt fat finger any of the ip addresses in the lutron.py file. Did this once and had weird things like u r describing happen. If your hubs and raspberry pi are on dhcp, verify that none have changed ip’s and create reservations if possible.
  2. Verify that you have telnet enabled on your pro hub.
  3. Ensure u r using the latest device handlers and latest pi script.

If none of these apply, please post logs after pico button press.

Thank you Nate, and the community for supporting this. After having to change subnets, all my automation broke and instead of backtracking and reentering hardcoded IPs, I’ve used the official Lutron Caseta SmartApp instead which works out of the box. I don’t use Picos (don’t have Pro) so seems to work fine for me.

If anyone has a link to where I can buy Nate a coffee, let me know. I asked and didn’t get a response in a PM about it. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks! IPs are static and correct, Telnet is enabled, and I’m using the latest script. Strange, the signal is getting to the smartthings hub, I can see the button press in the logs, but it doesn’t do anything!

Has anyone tried using the Pico Remotes to control LIFX bulbs? Assuming this works since I see a comment above for GE Link bulbs

Once configured the picos can control any device you have integrated with smartthings. You will just need a button device smartapp (button controller ++, etc) to make the connection.