[OBSOLETE] Lock User Management (LUM)

Very impressed! I got this to manage a Yale lock on an AirBNB property and it works so well. Saves me so much hassle. In fact, I think I’m going to upgrade to the Rental Lock Automator because if it works as seamlessly as this one it’s well worth the money.

2 Likes

I’m not able to get my lock to work this way, the door always unlocks even if I don’t set Unlock as a custom action. Other custom actions seem to trigger correctly.
Is there anything I could be missing? This functionality is the main reason I got these apps :neutral_face: Lock is a Yale YRD226

Hi, I’m wondering if there’s a way to associate an rfid with a user?

Hi there. If you have a lock which uses RFID fobs and it relays that information over Z-Wave you may want to see the LUM sister app, Lock/Unlock actions. It’s has the same features as LUM but without code programming and is designed for locks which only report user information. You may need to use the Enhanced Z-Wave Lock device handler for your lock.

@maddie Just purchased/installed LUM. Love the flexibility and options it will offer, but cannot get it set up. It shows in New ST app under SmartApps. I set up the locks, and tried to set up Users. In the past 11 hours I’ve received over 450 notifications of:

• Requesting door to add user xxxx
  • Confirmed user was added
  • Confirmed user was deleted
  • Door failed to add user

I assume my ‘buffering device’ is not sufficient(?)… I have ZWave switches (a few) within 20 feet of the locks. Before I pull the locks off the doors and try in other locations around the house, is there something else I can try? And if I go through the hoops of uninstalling physical locks, moving them somewhere else, setting them up, reinstalling into doors… will the SmartApp function properly in the future, or do I need to find new devices to act as buffering devices and keep them permanently near the locks? Thx

Hi there. It looks like you have more than one app programming the same lock causing a conflict. One is adding while the other is deleting causing it go into a loop of adding and deleting the users. You may want to reset your lock, remove all connected apps and only install one instance if LUM. You can find more details on the LUM FAQ page.

1 Like

@maddie, thanks again! Making progress - I uninstalled Lock Manager from ST, logged out of ST Classic app and only used the New ST app, I factory reset both locks, removed & reinstalled RBoy LUM and set up new user codes. LUM now shows all users in GREEN. All good to this point, but now seeing some wonky behavior:

1. I have Global notifications set (haven’t played with individual custom notifications) but I’m not receiving any notifications. I do have the ‘Notify On Use’ sliders ON.
  2. One user who should not be unable to use ‘Front Door’ lock IS able. Same user should only be able to use (shed door) lock when house in VACANT mode, but this code works while in HOME mode, on both doors.
  3. Another user is setup same as #2 above, but this code will NOT work while house is in HOME mode (so this one is working properly).
  4. 3 users are supposed to be able to control ‘Shed Door’ freely, but none of these 3 codes are working (although showing GREEN in the app)
  5. ‘Shed Door’: One of the codes that is supposed to work but doesn’t, will give a beep when I try… however another code that is supposed to work but doesn’t will NOT beep when I try.

Can you help me with these? Thanks so much for assistance!

Is there a log of activity by user (locking, unlocking, etc.)?

Hi there. I’ve responded to your email, it looks like you were using an incompatible device handler with your lock. If you have any questions feel free to email us.

@uber2k the activity logs can seem in the SmartThings app notifications/messages page.
If you’re using Rental Lock Automater (RLA) it has dedicated page to review the user activity. You can more details on this page.

A quick note folks who’re switching from other lock management apps. Please check that you uninstall all third party custom device handlers from the IDE/lock before installing LUM or RLA.
LUM and RLA work with the stock SmartThings lock device handlers “Z-Wave Lock”, “ZigBee Lock” and our “Enhanced Universal Z-Wave Lock” device handler.
NOTE that “Z-Wave Lock with Codes” is not a compatible device handler.

If ever in doubt, just delete all custom device handlers, exclude and re-pair your lock and SmartThings will automatically pick the correct device handler for your lock.

Hi Maddie,
I’m up and running with correct DH now (thank you for clarification of which I needed). Truly awesome app! Still having issues though with some features…

1. Notifications seem to be sporadic… sometimes I will get notification when user uses keypad, sometimes I won’t.

2. Tried custom actions, turning on a light. It’s not working.

3. it’s not respecting home’s modes… for example if I want a user’s code to work ONLY when I’m Vacant mode.

Can u give me ideas to address these?

Thanks!

Oh… I absolutely LOVE ability to allow user codes to work based on presence. I set that for MY code. I have to be home for my code to work… This way, my code will not work for someone who learns my code, when I’m not home. Very cool!!

1 Like

Hi, those symptoms point to a mesh issue with intermittent packet loss. The lock should be connecting to a beaming (buffering) repeater. The mesh devices may need to be excluded and re-paired again or moved around. Also rebooting the hub and doing a zwave repair helps sometimes.

When you say “mesh”, do you mean a mesh wireless network? I have a small house, and I use the strongest Orbi mesh network available, so this shouldn’t be something to do with my mesh network. I also have zwave light switches near both locks.

@maddie is talking about the Z-wave and/or Zigbee systems which both operate in a mesh configuration (as do your Orbi routers) .

Thanks, but I’m confused… so what can be causing my issues, if my mesh network is strong and my locks are in close proximity to zwave light switches?
I already tried doing zwave repair.

Can’t help you much there. I had similar issues with my Schlage z-wave lock and open/close sensor. They kept dropping off even though they were 15’ from the hub. But it turned out in my case the z-wave signal could not compete with 2 concrete cinder block walls. I installed a z-wave light bulb in a direct line of sight between the lock and the hub and I have been stable ever since (maybe the occasional glitch).

As maddie suggested I did delete my lock from the network, added the new light, then re-added my lock and finally repaired my network just to be on the safe side. Sadly no easy way to actually see what is connected to what in the z-wave world.

I am also using the standard z-wave default lock manager DTH. It does everything I want except code expiration so I am thinking about it but they only have an all or nothing price so I have not made the purchase yet. I don’t need any of their other stuff that comes in the “package”.

another happy customer!

i was super unhappy with the shortcomings of my door-lock and management of it via the smartthings apps (repeated server errors for all other solutions). got this and now i can remote program codes for my schlage connect dumb z lock and life is good. don’t balk at spending a bit on this; it is completely worth it and much cheaper than a new lock system!

4 Likes

@visonpilot, Have you tried the more advanced functions and are they working? Notifications are only sporadic for me, no defined custom actions are working, and the locks are not respecting restrictions based on mode of the house (Home, Away, etc), as they should be based on programming of the SmartApp.

I haven’t tried any conditional functions yet… waiting for the family to get used to the new codes (personalized codes and remote programming were my main goal here) however I can say the notifications are working. hub v3, Schlage connect, FYI, not sense or any advanced model, running smart things app (new and old) on android 9 phone.

Chalk me up to another happy customer. Working great for me here, notifications and actions. I use “presence” users since I love that I can limit the cleaners code to be used only when my spouse is at home. It works perfectly and also the actions associated with them.

I did a quick test here for the “modes” based users (using home and away modes). The users activated and deactivated when I changed modes, also got a notification and actions were executed (turning on lights).

If you’re seeing sporadic notifications it sounds like a zwave mesh issues. Maddie gave me some great tips to get my mesh sorted out similar to what michael_edmonds said above and I’ve never had an issue since (key thing for me was to move the hub away from the lock into a different room and rebuild the mesh). Or maybe you may just have a bad schlage lock like these folks figured out.

1 Like

I am using your lock use manager. 07.09.05

It works great with one exception

I am now using the new st app and the new st shm.

I have your lock app setup that when the door is unlocked via the keypad it is supposed to disarm the shm.

I have your app set to

Disarm Smart Home Monitor

Set mode to home
Send me a notification

But it does not.

Every time the people enter via the keypad the alarm goes off.

Also I tried setting a code to be enabled only on a particular day instead of permanent, and that did not work either.

Do I need a different DH?
Would a zwave repeater help?
I have a schlage lock that works very well with st except for the above.

Can u help.