Does this have to be a stand alone repeater, or another z wave device near by. Don’t zwave devices act as repeaters?
Only AC powered Z-wave devices function as repeaters. This would include Z-wave switches, outlets, and plug-in receptacles. There are dedicated z-wave repeaters, but they are essentially a compact plug-in receptacle without an outlet. My preferred setup is to install a z-wave switch near the door that operates either the interior or exterior light.
Anything that operates solely on battery power (e.g. a PIR motion sensor, lock, or window/door sensor) would have a dramatically shortened battery life if it also functioned as a Z-wave repeater that was constantly listening in a high power state.
Will the app still work on my Kwikset 914 if I set a master code?
A little off topic here, but wondered if anyone had a thought on this problem.
I have a Kwikset 912. It is tied into ST using Rboy’s app. Recently when I unlock either from the keypad or from ST the motor in the lock seems to cycle on/off about 5 or 6 times. It didn’t use to do that. Locking it only cycles once as it should.
Any ideas as to what might cause that?
@RBoy I’ve installed GE brand in-wall Z-Wave switches, plug-in Z-Wave smart plugs, and still neither the “Relock immediately” nor the “Unlock door if locked while open” functions work on my Schlage Connect (BE469NX). I’m using the Universal Enhanced Z-Wave Lock DTH and this Lock User Management v07.06.04 smartapp. All other functions and automations, including "Relock after (minutes) work. So, I used webCoRE to create the “Relock immediately” and “Unlock door if locked while open” functions, and they worked fine through webCoRE. For some reason those functions aren’t working through this SmartApp.
I removed the smart locks, re-added them, re-created the SmartApp, unplugged the hub for 20 minutes, repaired Z-Wave network, etc… Nothing makes these two functions work in this SmartApp.
Update: I just tried installing the “User Door Unlock/Lock Notifications and Actions v04.03.00” rboy smartapp (the one that doesn’t configure user codes). The two functions didn’t work with that app either. However, when I enable the functions in BOTH smartapps simultaneously, they work.
It’s a timing issue with the Z-Wave mesh. The Schlage BE469 is very sensitive to z-wave mesh. If the commands come too soon it ignores them or it isn’t ready to accept receive it drops them. Best solution is to add a z-wave repeater within 20ft of the lock. That creates a buffer and holds the command until the lock is ready to receive it. If you have enough repeaters in the mesh these timing issues go away. When you installed both apps they sent the commands a little apart, probably right timing so that the lock is ready to “accept” it.
Thank you to all our testers/users for your feedback on this incremental update
Lock User Management - Version 07.07.00
- Added support for arming/disarming ST ADT panel as lock/unlock actions (including syncing when with external keypads)
Some examples of how folks are using this app:
- I give my landlord an access code for the lock but I want it disabled when I’m at home (presence based users)
- When my children are at home and the parents aren’t home, then allow the babysitter’s code to work (presence based users)
- When we’re away, allow my neighbor’s code to work (mode based users)
- I can schedule a code for my nanny with multiple schedules per day (morning and evening)
- I can program ahead for my vacation rental properties with a start and end date/time for my guests
- When I lock my door from outside I want my house to lock up behind me (close garage doors, lock all other doors, turn off switches, arm the security system etc)
- When I unlocked my outer door I want the inner door to also unlock and the lights to turn on but only at night
- I want my employees to have access only during business hours or on specifics days/modes
Lock Code User Management is the most reliable and comprehensive commercial grade User Code Management SmartApp with many (unique) features:
- Works with the built in SmartThings device handler (Z-Wave and ZigBee)
- Sure-Programming engine: verifies that programming was successful
- Unlimited users and locks
- Easy and intuitive setup
- Colored icons show user state (grey -> inactive, blue -> active, yellow -> pending, red -> error)
- Different types of users such as:
- one time
- expiration (start/end date/time)
- scheduled (daily/weekly etc) with multiple schedules per user
- presence based
- mode based and many more
- Support for different types of locks (keypad, bluetooth, RFID, etc)
Define custom individual Unlock and Lock actions for users such as:
- Exit delay actions (wait for X minutes before running actions)
- Separate actions for Keypad and Manual locking/unlocking and per door actions
- Turning on lights if it’s dark outside
- Unlocking/locking secondary locks
- Opening/closing garage doors
- Notifications on type of lock/unlock (manual, code, keypad, bluetooth, rfid etc)
- Running routines
- Changing modes
- Arming/Disarming SHM/ADT
- Turning on/off switches
- Custom notifications settings (who and how many)
- Multiple/international SMS’s
- Define rules when to run and not run actions
Define Door Open/Close actions such as
- Automatically relocking the door when it’s closed
- Automatically unlocking the deadbolt if it’s extended, while door is open
- Ringing chimes when door is opened
- Notifications if door is left open
- Define actions for each door separately
- Lots of built in safety mechanisms to ensure users have a reliable experience
- Compatibility with SmartLocks
- and lots more…
I’ve been trying to use the “notify if the door is left open” function but I can’t seem to get it to work. I have z wave sensors on each door that I point to but I never get a notification.
I set up a rule in SHM custom and it works great.
The SHM notify works great for when it changes mode but I wanted one to check if the door was left open for 3 minutes. It seems this was supposed to do that.
You can create a new monitoring rule in SHM. I have one setup to notify me if our garage doors are open for longer than 10 minutes. I am pretty sure this is what you are asking for right? I am assuming that you have an open/close sensor on your door, but technically you could also monitor the lock state (locked or unlocked) although that doesn’t tell you if it is open. See my screenshot below:
Edit - for clarity, monitoring rules can run independent of mode, so they will stay monitoring regardless of what mode ST is in.
Just verified and it’s working fine here. I setup a test to notify if the door is open for 3 minutes and I’m getting notifications every 3 minutes until the door is closed. Things to check:
- You’ve selected the correct door open/close sensor in the app
- Check the (hub) notifications modes, they should be empty (all modes) or selected to match your current hub mode
- Check that your door sensor is reporting the open/close event properly when the door is opened/closed
Using monoprice door sensors with the rboy device handler. Set the doors to the proper sensor, they show open on the sensor and I’ve left it open but still no notification. Also tried selecting all the modes as well as no modes with no difference. I’ve currently disabled it through rboy and created custom SHM profiles like Erik stated for the doors as I couldn’t get it to work properly.
I’m trying to figure out how to get user specific notifications for the door unlocking. I have the Lock user management app installed and have each of the users programmed in. When i get a notification I get a generic message. I’m looking for one that says (NAME OF USER) unlocked ____ Door. I bought access to RBoy’s apps and device handlers specifically for these options but need a bit of help getting them set up. I found where I can make it send a text message to my phone vs the ST app notification (I’d rather use the ST notifications) but no way to create specific user messages.
Each user has their a custom
Notify on use option (enabled by default) on their configuration page.
Also check that you haven’t configured any restrictions on your user notification options (like presence, modes etc). If your lock is passing the user information to the SmartApp and the options above are configured you’ll get the name the user, the lock name and the mode of unlocking (keypad, manually, rfid etc) in the notification message. Other common things to check, if you’ve installed both the Classic and New app, the notifications are enabled for the ST Classic app.
Thanks for the quick reply! I have the notify on use selected but still get a generic message. I’m using a Schlage lock. No restrictions are configured, as I’m just getting it set up. I"m not sure if I’m in the ST Classic or the new app. It doesn’t look any different that the old app.
I wanted to be able to set the auto-relock to something like 30 minutes, but it appears to require a relatively short (IMHO) time, not sure what the upper limit its, but why is it so short exactly?
If you’re setting it in the smart app then there’s no upper limit (in minutes). Things to note for best experience, your lock is within 20ft of a repeater (strong buffered mesh so it doesn’t lose commands), when you reopen the door, the timer is reset.
If you’re setting on your lock through the DTH then it depends on lock firmware and is typically from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on your lock model.
Oh yea, I couldn’t find in the app, so I set in the door. Found it, s’all good man.
Hmmm… OK, so I thought I would test this. I set it to 2 minutes, and I had to select a door open sensor (I selected the door). I unlocked the door, even opened it. but it isn’t relocking…
It is a Yale Assure YRD446ZW2619. I’m guessing that the app needs to know when the door opens/closes and perhaps this lock isn’t broadcasting anything?
I have a could of z-wave devices VERY close to the lock. z-wave network is excellent.