just to follow up on this, i had already initialized the device handler, though i tried again and still have the same issue. one thing to note is as i’m using a Yale Conexis L1 i need to use the smartapp that imports existing users rather than the one that lets you register them in smartapps. I tried the full version and that actually works without error but obviously isn’t usable with my lock. I noticed that although there is a new version of the full smartapp that was released yesterday with the bug fix you mentioned, the other smartapp is still dated from a few days ago.
Grateful for any assistance.