[OBSOLETE] Lock Manager

#Version 1.2

• Added back user presence checks for hello home actions.
  • Various bug fixes.

For anything more complex than this, please use the CoRE app.

2 Likes

Kwikset 916 Z-Wave SmartCode Touchscreen Electronic Deadbolt

just did a test to try to see if usage code changes with each unlocking. when i’m on the lock manager screen, and i click on the user after unlocking with that user’s code, it says Z-wave lock Entries: 0. so i guess its not changing

The number won’t change while you’re looking at it, as of this time there’s no way to push live updates to a user’s page
 You’d have to leave that screen and go back to it.

That probably isn’t related, I just thought I’d let you know that the pages are static once they have rendered.

Your first step to see what’s going on is to open the IDE and click on ‘Live Loging’ it may be good to turn on IDE logging in the app by going to the main page and opening the advanced section and turn on ‘IDE Debugger’ toggle.

With live logging open, use a code on your lock and then go back to your computer. There should have been a message from your lock that has something like:

['name':'lock', 'value':'unlocked', 'descriptionText':Front Door Lock was unlocked with code 7, 'data':['usedCode':7], 'isStateChange':true, 'displayed':true, 'linkText':'Front Door Lock']
  1. If you do not see that message, then there’s something wrong with the communication between the hub and your lock. You can try to remove the lock from your hub and re-pair it with the hub
 or add a POWERED zwave device between your lock and your hub.

2. if you DO get the message, but the slot doesn’t match the slot that you selected for the user
 like if it says usedCode: 5 but your user slot is 4, then it doesn’t match up and this is why it doesn’t work. Change your user to use slot 5 or fiddle with the settings to get things right. Most of the time the app will firgure this part out for you so I’d be surprised if it’s this.

Erik - thank you for the quick replies.

I did try to go out and back in again to look for change, but didn’t see anythign. Will try your other suggestions too.

The only thing that I get notifications of is text that say: "Z-wave lock was locked (or unlocked) manually.

With the original app (yours), it told me the user’s name that unlocked the door (can’t recall if it was a text, or a different version of a message that said that)

Erik,

When you do a new version/update, what’s the process for getting that update, if any?

Thanks,

Kevin

If you set up via the guide you should be able to just go to the IDE under Smart Apps and click ‘update from repo’, select lock-manager and check all the obsolete apps, click ‘execute update’ and you’re done.

Version updates are usually done to denote compatibility changes unless otherwise noted
 for instance when updating from v0 to v1, the variable data was not compatible and a re-install was required
 however if you’re going from v1.x to any v1 release, variables should be compatible and the transition will be smooth.

This is not to say that v2 will for sure be incompatible with v1, it’s just a good rule of thumb to read the release notes when these whole number updates are released.

1 Like

tried that first step you mentioned, and don’t see a message that looks like the message you show.

The only way i can make it notify my phone of the door having just been unlocked is to go to the app on my phone, and on the ‘‘right now’’ screen ( where it shows the big red unlocked, or the big green locked), if i click on the refresh (arrow/circle), all of a sudden, it sends me a text saying “Z-wave lock was locked (or unlocked) manually” - but its as if I have to force it to tell me by manually pressing the refresh button.

not sure whether or not that info helps.

i guess i’m at the point of #1 that you mentioned - something wrong with communicatoin between hub and lock. I reluctant to add a powered zwave device, since this worked just a month ago.

would be interested in removing the lock from the hub and repairing, but have to figure out how to do that, and reluctant to do that too, since it works, kinda.

again, thanks for your suggestions.

ps - wish i could pay/paypal you for a personal consult over the phone, as i suspect that this is a simpler fix than i am making it out to be (since it worked great up to a month ago), and my ability to explain whats wrong via keyboard is likely the reason for my inability to fix it,

Sounds like a communication issue or Device Type Handler issue. Any number of things can effect connectivity
 WiFi routers, new shelf, new refrigerator
 different phase of the sun
 vodou magic.

Some things to try:

Make sure you’re using ‘Z-wave Lock Reporting’ on your device list. You can see your device list in ‘My Devices’ in the IDE.

Next,

Try replacing the batteries
 or even just pulling the batteries and replacing them with same.

Try repairing your z-wave network:
On your mobile device, click ‘More’ and then click the cog at the top of the screen. Scroll to your hub and click on the hub. From there, click on ‘repair Z-wave Network’

if that doesn’t work your next step is to remove the lock from SmartThings and add it again. A SmartThings support agent on chat can likely lead you through that process better than I can.

I don’t see ‘‘Z wave lock reporting". although, in the past, when it worked perfectly, i have seen that phrase ‘’ z wave lock reporting’’ somewhere on the IDE.

Instead, under My devices’, sub heading Type - it says ‘’ Z wave schlage touchscreen lock’’

maybe that is my problem? how do i get ‘‘z wave lock reporting’’?

and, as always, thanks again. if this (my monotonous inability to fix what once worked perfectly) should be taken off this community board, please let me know and i will PM you.

i think i’ve found something interesting:

under ‘‘my device handlers’’, i have 2 things listed:

1 - garyd9 : Z-Wave Schlage Touchscreen Lock (BLUE font color)

2 - smartthings : Z-Wave Lock Reporting (green font color)

this has got to have somethign to do with my problem, i just don’t know what to do to fix it

Since you have a Kwikset lock, you should not be using a Schlage DTH. Go back to the guide and review the install process specifically where the Device Type Handlers are explained.

I prefer to have these conversations in the thread. You won’t be the only one with this question/issue/mistake, so don’t feel bad. Also I’m just one dude and I prefer to have the questions asked in the general forum rather than to just my person so that other people can chime in and help out.

plot thickens - tried deleting that device handler, the schlage/garyb handler - but i click on delete, but it says ''DeviceType still in use by devices.

i was hoping i could delete the device handler, and all of a sudden the correct one would start working.

i went back to the guide - question on page 3 - it says

1. Click on ‘Add New repository’
  2. ethayer
  3. lock-manager
  4. master
  5. click ‘save’

Do i want to have ‘‘ethayer’’ typed into both spaces ‘‘default namespace’’ and ‘‘owner’’?

Thank you! That worked! The latest code seems to have resolved my issues except for Adding a User. When I do this through the iOS app, the page after entering a user, code and slot is blank. In the logs it shows:

2e6e250a-7bb5-42cd-b24a-78c289e5e048 5:00:15 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException @ line 622
257c3b42-c0f0-4116-be78-7255e38de569 4:59:13 PM: debug there are 1 lock users

fixed, sorta, the device handler deletion issue
but now under ‘‘device handlers’’, it lists 2:

1 - ethayer : Z-Wave Lock Reporting in blue

2 - smartthings : Z-Wave Lock Reporting in green

not sure if this is correct, or, which one the door lock is using.

but at least the schlage handler is gone now

1. You should only have 1 handler, I would remove the standard one

I am very new to all this and very uninformed so please, be gentle.

I am hitting a snag after enabling github.
I dutifully follow the instructions but I receive an error stating that

GitHub repository ethayer/lock-manger not found

I am quite certain I am missing something simple and everyone will have a good laugh and that’s fine. As long as I can get my stuff to work, you can enjoy the dumdum’s follies.

thanks for any help!

@John_Campbell
I had the same problem

HA!!!
Told you it was something silly. Thanks for the assist.

This was a typo in the guide but it should have been corrected earlier today.

I am also using kwikset 916 touchscreen. Is there no way to have it complete a hello home when locked? I don’t care if it’s locked manually or with touchscreen. Problem is I assigned the dog walker a code and it turns a couple lights on for them on unlock, but have no way of them turning off automatically when he locks it behind him. None of the motion sensors seem to detect them either as I tried using them to trigger turning lights off behind him.