[OBSOLETE] Lock Manager

@ethayer any update on this now that Groovy sunsets the end of September?

1 Like

Sorry, I’ve been gone for awhile starting a new job and generally being annoyed with Samsung. I got frustrated with some bad iOS rollouts that had me do table-flips.

I’m scrambling to complete the dev-ops portion of launching the app. I’m also behind in getting a payment processor setup so that I can fund it.

There’s still a lot of work to do on the app, but the basic functions of what I think 99% of people need, work very well.

I’m considering letting people join for the first couple months for free, and then adding a subscription model later so that I can pay for this effort. There’s so many unknowns right now for me to feel comfortable charging for a service. Namely if the groovy to new API systems will allow the same device functions to work after the migration. I’m also worried that the onboarding process for the new app. It isn’t straight forward and user-friendly as I’d like. You also need to give me secret keys to an app install, which I don’t love but it’s the current accepted way to do this.

I’m almost done with the staging site for what will be the production version of the app. I’m not an AWS wizard so its taking me a bit.

Stay tuned, I’m working on it and will make a post inviting people to try it out.

P.S. Is anyone else launching web-services for the new API right now? I’m pretty curious on how this new API is going to be successful.

1 Like

Glad to hear you’re still pursuing it!

Off the top of my head, I know SharpTools, ConstantGraph.com and the below app I think are using web services. I’m sure there’s others.
[EDGE][RELEASE] Simple Device Info Viewer

1 Like

HAH! I love their pricing structure “Free for now.” Exactly what I’m thinking with my app.

2 Likes

I would be interested in doing some testing for you when you’re ready.

I love this app and don’t know what I’d do with out it … I don’t understand how ST can support z-wave locks, but with no way of managing codes on the lock … Have you see the approach brbeaird took with the MyQ and RainMachine (in the future) integrations? He’s using a Docker container to run a little server for things to be discovered and connect. Not sure if that would be an option here, since we’re not connecting to a cloud service, but I’m thinking running something on a NAS with Docker locally would avoid relying on AWS.

If this doesn’t make any sense, feel free to ignore this, lol!

The SmartThings provided Smart Lock Guest Access can mage lock codes. Not nearly as many functions as this app, but manually adding and deleting is possible.

2 Likes

OMG, thank you for this! I was scratching my head trying to figure this out. Apparently, in the “Smart Lock Guest Access” Life app, you can click on “Locks” in the top left corner and change it to “Lock Codes”. Apparently there used to be an arrow next to the word “Locks” to indicate a drop down, but it’s not showing up on my app …

2 Likes

I “invited” a guest but it does not allow you to see the code or edit it

invited a guest to what? The SmartThings app?

I’m guessing to the lock.

That’s one of the things I dislike about the Smart Lock Guest Access it doesn’t show you the code assigned to the name. Yeah I can get that it’s a security thing, but if they have access to the app they can just unlock the lock.

Correct, just thought that would be understood on this thread

sorry, forgot we were in the lock manager thread. I was thinking of Smart Lock Guest Access which allows you to share the code via text or email when you create it from what I remember.

@ethayer keep us posted on how things are going as we head into the new year, non-Groovy land. Happy to help test across the multitude of different hubs, locations, and locks I have setup. Just configured a new account that’s fresh and already on the new Edge drivers as well so easy to sandbox test anything that’s available even if buggy on launch.

An alpha version of the new app should be up in the next few days. Just working through some dev-ops stuff to get it running.

There are many features missing in the front-end UI of the new site. For now, the app will be free so it seems fitting to just let ya’ll go at it. Hosting costs are more than expected, so that might light a fire in me to get it out of alpha.

More very soon.

6 Likes

I have schlage locks and would love to alpha/beta test it and would happily pay for it when time comes

Trying to be quiet about it, but the app is available now. It’s missing a lot a features but supports basic member creation and scheduling. Check it out if you’re brave. :wink:

https://lockmanager.io

6 Likes

Right on time Groovy SmartApp Shutdown

1 Like

i’m brave but running into an issue setting it up. after i enter the client id, client secret, and app ID, clicking save appears to do nothing. same with clicking next. however, if i refresh the page and click next, those fields were saved. but again, clicking next takes me nowhere. tried in both safari and brave.

It sounds like you might have to click “Verify App” in the smart things website. Did you do that step?