THANK YOU, ikillratz! After tons of trial and error, by happening upon this tip, I was able to simply add my LeakSmart valve via the iPhone app, which I had done many times before only to get a non-responsive thing in my list. This time I went into the IDE, and found it had the valve type listed as “Samsung TV”. As soon as I changed that to “Zigbee Valve” (THANKS AGAIN!), the valve worked perfectly. I even created a scene in SmartThings, had Alexa learn it, so now I can just say, “Alexa, start Open Water Valve” or “Alexa start Close Water Valve.” I know the “start” requirement kind of ruins the magic, but still very cool. And what a time savings vs. all the device handler work.