[OBSOLETE] leakSMART Water Sensor

Unfortunately, my Wink hub seems to be stuck trying to “Connecting to Wink Server” forever (solid yellow LED.) I just submitted a ticket with Wink to see if they can fix my old, 1st gen Wink hub… Should be interesting to see how good their support is these days.

Thanks again for your assistance and for maintaining the leakSMART Sensor Device Handler.

Hi - I just wanted to say thanks for this device handler… I have just started moving over all my Wink stuff to SmartThings, and I initially forgot to check compatibility. Glad these can still be used!! I am getting perfect performance (at least compared to how they were on Wink), where I get quick wet/dry triggering, the battery reporting matches, and I get accurate temperatures. I can also trigger my LeakSmart valve just fine!

My issue is that I can not get my two LeakSmart sensors to show up in the list of my devices that are to be authorized for use with ActionTiles? Everything else I have added to SmartThings is available for ActionTiles (including two AeoTec leak sensors), but not my two LeakSmart sensors. Any advice on this one? I honestly don’t know if it is something on the device handler side, or perhaps with ActionTiles.

I also have a suggestion for anyone with LeakSmart sensors wanting to get on to the latest firmware easily… I have the two sensors that Wink showed as being 17 and 26 firmwares, and a buddy has 5 sensors that he had no clue of the firmware revision due to using the Iris system. He contacted Waxman and asked about improving battery life, and they offered to send him a loaner LeakSmart hub. He got the hub, and we were both easily able to upgrade all sensors to firmware 34. This was in late March of this year, and the guy at Waxman says that Iris doesn’t push firmwares, but that Wink had had the 34 firmware for months but had not pushed it yet as of March. The Leaksmart brand hub is pretty easy to use, and we just made an account, connected our sensors, left them connected over night, and then confirmed they were all 34 and sent them back to their original hubs. No cost to us to get updated!

4 Likes

@tgauchat is there anything that I need to do to get these devices to show up in ActionTiles? @Bigbruin is having an issue. I don’t have ActionTiles.

Add Capability "Sensor" after the other claimed Capabilities.

3 Likes

@Bigbruin - Update from github and try now.

@tgauchat - Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you very much - that solved it! In the screenshot, the two sensors on the left are the Aeotec’s I mentioned, and the two sensors on the right are the LeakSmarts. Perfect!

1 Like

Batteries in the 60’s already?

What setting are you using for voltage? What kind of batteries?

Those are the Aeotec leak sensors, and their original batteries which are about 2 months old. They seemed to use batteries quickly on Wink, but I am guessing the device handler at SmartThings is more efficient since the battery level hasn’t budged in the week or so that they have been moved over.

The two LeakSmart sensors are at 100%, one has brand new batteries, while the other has batteries that are about 3 weeks old. From what I have read about your polling/etc, I know the batteries are going to last way longer than when on Wink.

All are Duracells… 3x AAA in the LeakSmarts, while the Aeotecs use 2x AAA.

For my regular AAA Alkaline batteries I am using…

Max: 4.5
Min: 2.7

1 Like

What kind of battery life do you get.
I’m lucky to get 3 month’s

7 to 9 months, what version of the firmware do you have?

That would be nice!
I have 6 all have ver 26
I replaced the batteries on Jan 20 and there at %13 now
I did notice that the temp updates a lot is there a way to turn this off or limit it?

I tried about 10 different things to make it not update as often. Maybe I need to try 11. Mine update temp about every 20 or so minutes.

Mine are also version 26, rumor has it there is a version 34 out now with battery enhancements.

Probably not but maybe after the update.

I contacted the manufacturer of the leakSmart sensors via their website to inquire about upgrading the firmware. I only have 3 sensors so they offered to upgrade them if I mailed them in. I sent them out last week so should hopefully I’ll get them back this week or next. We’ll see if there is any improvement in the battery life.

I will be interested in your findings.
What version did you start with?

I just bought a used Wink hub on Amazon for $29. Mine are 26, interest in what version 34 brings.

Is there a way to add a locate feature? The app for the leaksmart hub has this feature which is nice to ID the sensors.

A quick update. I just got my sensors back from Waxman (the parent company) and they have all been updated to firmware 34, I was previously on 21. They even replaced the battery doors with newer ones that hold the batteries in better. Overall they went out of their way to help with an unsupported use case.

2 Likes

I have been experiencing an issue where the leaksmart sensor battery dies and it triggers the smartthings as the sensor being wet. I replace the battery and the sensor stays as wet until I edit the sensors settings in ST for the sensor and re-apply.

Is there a way I am missing to make the sensor not appear wet when the battery dies?

Appreciate it.

Kyle