[OBSOLETE] LANnouncer with IFTTT (2016)

Big thanks to @rhoffer! This solved my problem when I tried to set up Bigtalker to send announcements, LANnouncer did not show up as a device…turns out I had the defaults set to Music Player and Not Speech Synthesis…after changing that - bang - it works!!

I set up BigTalker originally with VLC things to test it - but realized I didn’t want to tie up a big piece of hardware, so I bought a cheap Android tablet to use with LANnouncer. Set up and installed everything correctly, could test LANnouncer successfully using the app and curl from my computer, but couldn’t get it to show up as a device for Bigtalker.

I scoured these forums until I found your post! Thanks again!

I have lannouncer up and running on my android tablet and integrated into my account and when I press the alarm button my device sounds the alarm, but my issue is while trying to integrate lannouncer in big talker it is not showing up as a text to speech device. does anyone know where I may be going wrong or what I need to do to get it to show up as a text to speech device.

@hires06 See my previous post…should solve your problem. Good luck!

1 Like

FYI: You can have Big Talker installed twice under Automation / SmartApps.

One version for your normal speakers (Bose, Sonos, etc.), and one version for your Speech Synthesis devices (LANNouncer). Just add a second version from the Marketplace with the other option for device type checked/unchecked.

Thanks - I may try that. I’m trying to replace an old ADT system in a house I bought and liked the voice notices/chimes that were configured. I bought a crappy Android tablet to run LANnouncer and it’s about 75% effective (issues are mostly related to the tablet disconnecting from WiFi periodically). I set up VLC Things to work with VLC in a Mac, and that works about 2/3 of the time.

Today my multipurpose sensor lost connection from the Hub. So far in about 2 days of testing I’m not getting very reliable results!

My issues are with the ST devices and Android hardware - The Bigtalker and LANnouncer apps are great though!

I’m Android as well and have a few ST Multisensors and Motion sensors. For me, Android has been reliable (including gps and presence) and I haven’t had issues with my ST devices purchased last year. There have been complaints from those that have recently purchased (newer versions perhaps) and they seem to be having a lot issues including dropping (I have never had one drop). Can’t find the thread as it wasn’t specific to ST. Just do a search around the ST multi sensors. They we’re recommending alternatives. There’s actually several threads out there. The one I was referring to was over the last week or so.

Here’s one for you:

There is no LANAnnouncer for ios. Is there anything for ios?

No, LANnouncer is only available for Android 5.1 or better devices. Android devices are pretty cheap these days. A nice one is Amazon’s Fire HD8. On sale, they can drop down to $50-$60

Thanks that worked.

Thanks so much for this useful app, Tony! Along with BigTalker, I’m currently using it for door open/close alerts, and with SHM as an alarm. It’s been working so well on my android tablet (Nexus 7 2013) that I decided to get another cheap tablet to use with it (Amazon Fire 7).

I have it working on both, but I’ve noticed that the fire 7 is several seconds slower to respond, particularily when there hasn’t been a command in a while. I’ve disabled all the sleep and wifi options and such, but nothing seems to make them respond the same. LANnoucer running in the foreground or background doesn’t seem to make any difference. Any ideas on why this might be?

Hi, I have a Fire 8 and a Fire 7 both running Lannouncer, and the 7 is usually behind. It’s old, they still sell them but there’s a reason they go on sale for $30, they just have old tech inside. You could have something else going on, but if it’s just a bit slow I’d say it’s likely related to the old tech (but a $30 tablet to run ActionTiles and Lannouncer is a great way to improve your house!!)

Yeah, its just slower. I guess that’s what you get with a $30 tablet hahah! Thanks for your input!

I come in desperation, looking for some debugging help. I’m a long-time LANnouncer user with it running on several devices. I changed my main phone and can’t hear anything - test voice or the chime.

Device is Android 7.1.1 with a static ip, using WAN mode
Commands from ST show in the LANnouncer app status
Curl tests also show in the app
"Notify" command flashes its notice successfully
Fail: Siren, Speak, Strobe, Tone (but they show in the app)
Audio volumes are all up and not “silenced” in LANnouncer settings
Other app TTS commands are heard fine

I’ve looked everywhere I know to check. I’d be grateful for any ideas.

So it says it’s sounding an alert, but fails to? I would check sound levels (volumes) in the Settings of Android.

I just started using LANouncer and I cant seem to figure out how to change the voice. I thought if I changed the language setting on the old phone running the app the voice would change, but it doesnt. Anyone Know what Im doing wrong, seems it would be a simple option. Also, if I iked it I was going to try premium to get 5 media files, anyone have this?

Hey! I know this is a late reply, and you may have figured it out by now. I had a similar issue. Closing the app (like force closing, not just hitting the home button) and reopening it seemed to solve my issue!

Thanks. The problem seemingly “disappeared” so I may have inadvertently stumbled into your solution.

Greetings! I’m having the same problems where LANnouncer appears to be functioning properly but there is no sound. I’ve triple checked the sound settings. Running on a Nexus 9 with Android 7.1.1

I’m really at a loss and appreciate any help. Thanks!

We all are. For me it only works for a few hours. Then I have to go to LanNouncer app (installed from Google play) into settings - Audio - Volumes and hit save without any changes and then it works again.
I don’t know if it a limitation of the free version.

Could be. Mine is a paid version. Don’t have that issue. I even get notifications on phone when not at home.

Try this. Open it up and then press the circle on your phone to return home. That way the window is still active and remains active. Shouldn’t ever die on you unless you stop it.

Only issue I have ever had is that once in a blue moon, when an audio announcement is made, the app comes to foreground.