[OBSOLETE] KuKuHarmony - DTH and SmartApp that support to control devices in Logitech Harmony(using Harmony-API)

LOL, it can be a bit daunting.

Honestly, I don’t know if you can run it on Windows natively or not. The basic requirements are node.js and npm which do both run on Windows. I think there’s a Python requirement as well. However, the way the code is, I don’t know what other requirements might be in place.

You’d be much better off ordering a Pi and installing it there. The $30-$40 you’ll spend will save you TONS of time and headaches down the road. Plus, there is just so much cool stuff you can do with it beyond just this.

With that said, the cheapest way to get it running would either be using VirtualBox and running a virtual machine with a Linux distro running it (Ubuntu Server would be awesome for that). Of course, that’s only viable if you have enough RAM and CPU in your laptop or installing Docker on your laptop and grabbing the Docker image.

One thing to note is that without an always on machine, when your laptop is off or gone from the home, you’ll have no access to the devices and activities you setup in smartthings via KuKuHarmony.

Yes, you would still need the Harmony App to create devices and activities. You can use the ST app to do day to day control however.

maybe i misunderstand the X86 install. I thought i had to go here to request the download for the API. is there a public download link somewhere? or no download?

All I did was follow the instructions here: https://github.com/maddox/harmony-api

Git cloned the code to my linux box (all my Pis are way overloaded as is) and ran it. What are you trying to install it on?

ah, for some reason i thought there was a windows install file. I have a desktop that is always on, so was hoping to use it.

VirtualBox is your friend :slight_smile: I had it running for a bit on a Ubuntu VM with 2 cores/2GB RAM and it did fine.

[Edit] You can also install Docker on Windows and just download the docker image.

1 Like

ok, will take a look at those. Thanks!

1 Like

Dear @949BFN,

I am so sorry for late response.

Oh my GOD!!! Thank you for finding bug related to ‘number_0’.
I’ll add and update github site. Thank you very very much.

And you can run after reboot rasp using ‘systemctl’ command.
After make a container which name is ‘harmony-api’ using ‘docker run’ command ,

# cd /etc/systemd/system/
# vi [any file name].service

For example, ‘any file name’ is ‘harmony-api’

<harmony-api.service>

[Unit]
Description=Harmony-API container
Requires=docker.service
After=docker.service 

[Service]
Restart=always
ExecStart=/usr/bin/docker start -a harmony-api
ExecStop=/usr/bin/docker stop -t 2 harmony-api

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

# systemctl enable harmony-api.service

If you reboot device, harmony-api container will be started automatically.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Much appreciated. Going to try it this weekend.

Once again, thank you @KuKu for this development as well as your assistance.
Your set-up instructions to run the container at startup works perfectly.

I have a new issue which requires your assistance please.

I have 3 hubs on my network. The hub in my bedroom started responding sluggishly last night. Eventually the remote (Harmony Elite) rebooted itself (can’t remember that I’ve experienced the remote rebooting itself before), which resolved the issue.

This morning I realised that KukuHarmony was not working anymore (at least, not in the bedroom.) I ran the “docker attach harmony-api” command in a terminal window to see the output of the container. It appears that the status of my Bedroom hub is no longer reported - only the status of the other 2 hubs.

Restarting the Raspberry Pi did not help - the status of the bedroom hub is no longer shown:

How do I re-add the hub that has dropped off? I’ll be adding a fourth Harmony hub next week and I suppose the answer to the above problem, will be used to add the new hub as well?

Thank you

Edit : Update:
I read through this thread again and realised I should try disconnecting the troublesome hub and the harmony-api server should automatically discover it again.

Once the hub reconnected, I get these messages in the log:

The hub works fine using the Harmony Elite remote.

Any idea why the hub would disappear?

it doesnt update for me, i wipe the harmony hubs and activities and disconnect the integrationn with st, restart st hub and rconnect and it finds them all within a few minutes

Hello,

I am sorry that I did not know root cause of this issue.

I think that although Harmony Hub WiFi is disconnected and reconnected, harmony-api could not discover that reconnecting.
At that time I solved this problem by turning off and on Harmony Hub.

Appreciate your response.

I reset the hub to factory default and it has been running fine for about 8 hours.

Strangely, my remote rebooted itself again a few minutes ago, just as it had done last night. I’m however still able to control the hub, unlike last night when it became unreachable following the reboot of the remote.

I have never had this before - wonder if it could be caused by the harmoni-api server. I’ll report back if things deteriorate / change.

Hi guys… this app makes me feel awesome and also like a complete idiot

I have managed to install KuKuharmony and am super psyched for this BUT…

When i come to install the Harmony API on my mac i find the instructions too confusing to follow, I copied the folder structure to my mac, went into terminal and typed bash install which is supposed to install it on OSX as a service, it seems to run fine (but i dont know a way of testing it) without any errors but when i go to KuKuHarmony and it searches for the hub the little spinny thing after i have entered the ip address and port just sits spinning forever

1. has anyone got harmony API working on mac?
  2. can someone tell me if ive done it wrong or am missing somthing?

Thanks in advance… :slight_smile:

Excited to try this on my rpi3. Testing now - trying to discover and waiting. Thanks so much for this. Took a little bit of wrestling but I got it working!

My question is - what is Custom 1-5 and how do you add them to the device controls? Those don’t show up with the Power, Volume, Channel, and numbers. I mapped things to them but I don’t know how to press “Custom1”.

Can someone please help me set this up on a snap server. I don’t have any pcs.

Qnap server*

First off a game changing SmartApp. I have it working fine. Just can’t get this auto restart service to work. I was finally able to save the unit file above to etc/systemd/system.
I am using the command sudo systemctl enable mystart.service. However, it doesn’t start the app. Please advise.

sudo systemctl enable mystart.service won’t start the service, it just enables it into the proper runlevels (via a symlink into /lib/systemd/system/).

To start the service, you need to run sudo systemctl start mystart

I don’t have a Qnap, so I’m not 100% certain this will work, but I found this link that describes installing node.js on the Qnap: https://techblog.dorogin.com/running-nodejs-app-on-qnap-nas-via-pm2-3bdb838524e4

Once you get node.js installed (along with the deps), it should just be a matter of cloning the git repository to the device and running it via either Forever or pm2.