[OBSOLETE: NEWER VERSION AVAILABLE] Konnected Security 2.0 - Connect Wired Alarm System Sensors and Siren to SmartThings - big update and new name!

Hi Josh,

There are flashing instructions in the README of the konnected-security git repo. First, clone the repo. Then you’ll need to have python installed and then the esptool and nodemcu-uploader pip packages.

Then just run the flash script from the project root:

./scripts/flash

That’s it! You may need to edit the PORT variable in the flash script depending on the serial port that shows up when you connect your NodeMCU.

How can I make the instructions more clear? What part were you getting tripped up on?

Hey i think my confusion is how do i install the ESPtool and NodeMCU-uploader pip packages?

I got python installed and not i’m not sure what to do. I’m not sure what script variables i need to update…

thanks
Josh

pip install esptool
pip install nodemcu-uploader

Where do i do that? in terminal or in python?

The below is what I see when I open python and i dont know what to do when i see this or get by that screen to do the install syntax…

In terminal

when i do that it says " -bash:pip: command not found"

Hey Josh,

We’ve made our code available open-source for people who are comfortable with open source and command-line tools and are able to figure things out on their own. For people who want the convenience of a finished product that can be plugged in and “just works”, we’re selling kits that include the software pre-loaded and one-on-one support.

I’m happy to answer questions about the Konnected software and wiring/installation process in this forum, but I can’t teach you how to use your computer. I suggest you take your Python/pip questions to Google or StackOverflow instead of sidetracking this thread.

Thanks,
Nate

1 Like

Hey,

ok i ended up ordering a 17 zone system from you-- do you know when it will ship?

Josh

Awesome! :heart_exclamation:
I’m waiting on some more inventory that’s on it’s way from China. As soon as it arrives I can pack and ship them out in a day. I’m hoping on this week but you never know with these overseas shipments.

Did you just steal pins from other wires? The connections are the only thing that I don’t like about my setup.

Otherwise, everything is working great! Every evening, I connect an additional zone. Taking it slowly so I can label stuff and make sure that everything is working.

I had some pins lying around from other projects.

Agreed, it took a bit of time and patience - my thumbs are too big for these tiny pins!! - but it was pretty straight forward. Over the weekend, I disconnected my 2 alarm panels (hello Smart Home Monitor!) and set up 8 contact sensors, 2 motion sensors and a smoke alarm. VERY COOL.

1 Like

Hi Nate - thanks for the detailed post and explanation that made my life simpler. i have one issue with achiving full control. i am unable to control the alarm. to begin with , what should be the DeviceID in the variables.lua ? id it the device network ID that i manually entered while creating the alarm on smarththings ? or is it that last part of the string from the URL ? i tried both when here are the 3 different ways i tried and none worked.

1. last part of the string from URL - will give me error message “PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (error loading module ‘variables’ from file ‘variables.lua’:
    variables.lua:43: malformed number near ‘679532ez’)

2. if i input device network id as a number(106) and use it for device id - i get the following message "Success: {“device_id”:106,“port”:8100,“mac”:“9d:ex:8g:rt:98:63”,“ip”:“192.168.0.167”}

3. if i input device network id as a string (A101larm) and use it - i do not see any message

all the messages above are from ESPlorer.

but i am unable to trigger the alarm in any case. i checked the NO on the relay with a multi meter, it would not show any contact when i trigger it , nor does the alarm go off when i connect it directly to the alarm system

please help.

Mine was delivered today. Unfortunately, I decommissioned the prior unit in a rush because the damn thing wouldnt stop blaring the alarm at 2am, so I’ve got to sort out some wiring issues, but I should be able to have it up and running shortly. I’ll report back.

Hi Praneeth,

It sounds like you’re using my original 1.x release. In case you missed it, version 2.0 was released earlier this month and we renamed the product to Konnected Security.

I suggest you try the latest version, as it makes the setup far easier. Here’s the link to the code on Github: https://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-security

1 Like

thanks Nate, i just completed working on my alarm board with your 2.0 , i had a little difficulty finding the firmware and source code ,but i was able to figure it out. i love your work, i spent countless hours searching the web to find this solution for years. i always knew there was a way but couldn’t find answers. keep up the good work , and i wish you all the best on your startup.

is there a way i can pm you ?
i have some concerns

1. on the previous version i was able to look into the code (though newbie to Lua, i can program in multiple languages) and to my satisfaction , i was able to determine that there were no loose ends. it was much simpler. the new 2.0 is much more complex, and i am unable to see a lot of code that is being generated when the NodeMCU is being run. can you get me that code by any chance?
  2. on the previous version , i was able to authorize only the sensors that i created. but the new one doesn’t ask for any. i am a bit worried, as for the same reason above, what if someone could alter the code and get access to my other smarthings in the house (this could be a since fiction movie for tomorrow) but there is always a legitimate threat for someone to gain access. that said, how can i limit the access to only the sensors ?
1 Like

Also wanted to ask , if there could be support to support multiple Wifi’s … if it can latch on to a different wifi, if the primary fails. like a failover.

Pleased to report I was able to provision both boards for my setup on my controls lan (yes I have a separate subnet for that, yes I know it’s nerdy, I’m an engineer). I was able to proof of concept with one door, however, my system is wired with stranded wire, which means I am going to have to find crimp pins in order to complete the installation

@heythisisnate what is the best way to email you a couple of notes on the install instructions that could potentially be helpful for others?

Hi Praneeth,

Glad you got it working! Thank you for the kind feedback, I’m happy that others have found this useful. I originally built it for myself but it’s so satisfying that others are able to appreciate it, too.

To answer your questions:

1. All the code is here: https://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-security. The code uploaded to the device is in the source-code directory. When it’s run on the device, it’s compiled into Lua bytecode to take up less space/memory, but the source is totally open. The firmware binary is just a custom build of https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware with some build options, but we have not modified any of the firmware source.

2. The 2.0 application does not need to ask for authorization of devices, because it only has permission to manage the devices that it creates. I think you’re safe in that regard.

3. I think it should be possible to support multiple Wifi access points. Look forward to that enhancement in a future release.

Feel free to contact us directly at help@konnected.io

Sorry to hear that you have stranded wire in your walls. It definitely makes the installation more tricky. Someone else had that problem, and they were able to solve it with the “Dolphin” style crimp connectors by cutting off one end of the jumper wire, stripping the end, and crimping it with their stranded wire.

We’d love to hear your install feedback. Please contact us at help@konnected.io.

Hey Nate any update on that delivery from China?