[OBSOLETE: NEWER VERSION AVAILABLE] Konnected Security 2.0 - Connect Wired Alarm System Sensors and Siren to SmartThings - big update and new name!

My order is being delivered today. I’m very excited to get it hooked up. Any updates on the documentation? It looks like it stops at setting up SmartThings Home Monitor.

I’m adding to and updating the documentation every day. I’m prioritizing the wiring details, because that’s what people have the most questions about. @DeanHensler if you have any specific questions, feel free to email me: help@konnected.io

Trying to get my kit up and running. Hoping I missed something simple… I powered two devices from my existing panel. Connected them both to wifi. Installed the smart app but the app hangs on device discovery:

Clicking Done gives an error:

Both devices are powered on and have an IP on the same subnet as the Smartthings hub:

Any pointers?

Oh, and I’m on the latest app version from your repo.

You’re on the right track. Try exiting the ST app completely and try discovery again. Give it a good 30 seconds or so to detect the device. You also may try removing and re-plugging the power on the device to reboot it once.

There’s a weird bug in SmartThings that we haven’t really been able to 100% account for on this discovery screen that I think you’re running into.

Also, open up the Live Logging tab in the ST IDE for some debugging info. Email us at help@konnected.io if you still have trouble.

It will eventually work!

1 Like

PSA: Don’t do this while helping your kid with a lego project. You might miss an important step like enabling OAuth. Thanks @heythisisnate for the fast email support!

2 Likes

I have an odd issue since I’ve upgraded to 2.0. Every step went as design except when I arm SHM and purposely set it off, I do not get a trigger to the siren relay. My relay is wired to pin D8. It’s assigned the siren device handler. Every step went as planned. I can turn the siren on and off manually when pulling it up on my phone and tapping it. Any ideas?

Since you can trigger the siren manually, it’s not a problem with the Konnected device. I think you might have forgotten to add back the siren to SHM. Go back through the SHM setup and make sure Alert with Sirens is enabled and you choose the siren device that’s operated by Konnected.

You are the man! Thanks, that was the problem.

Is anyone working with an old Brinks system, circa 1996/1998? I’ve got a BHS-2000 alarm panel I’m working with, and having someone in the same situation might be a big help.

Hey @stjpw219,
I don’t have any specific knowledge of that particular alarm panel, but for the most part they’re all wired pretty much the same. I’ve found a user’s manual online if that would help. Do you have a specific question that I might be able to help with?

Just saw that we need a relay to hook up the smoke/CO detector. Does anyone recognize this model? It’s wired to my existing panel but I can’t seem to find any branding to know which relay to buy.

Not sure if you need a relay. I needed a relay module because my detectors had never been interfaced with a security system. The relay module allows that. If you already had your detector(s) hooked up to an existing security system, then you may already be in business.

1 Like

Awesome! I was going by the docs that I think were just updated for Smoke alarms. Specifically:

"Connecting smoke detectors requires a relay compatible with your brand of smoke detector. "

@heythisisnate, any comment? Right now my Smoke/CO alarm is hooked into my panel with 2 wires - Red to Zone 8 and Black to GND. Can I just hook it up to Konnected like a contact sensor?

I think @TylerDurden is correct that if the interconnected smoke alarms are already hooked up to the alarm panel, then they likely already have been wired with a relay, or they are a model with an internal relay. I think that it will work just like a contact sensor, so yes, please do try, test, and let us know!

To be honest I’m not 100% sure because I don’t have the type of smoke alarms in my home to test with, and I haven’t had the opportunity to play with any yet.

I’m happy to update the documentation with your findings. Let us know how it works out.

Will do in the AM… #MeInTheLaundryRoomTestingSmokeAlarm

Is it the user manual for the keypad? I’ve found that as a PDF, but not the panel. I’ve got unknown wires going into the box and am wondering if two were somehow connected to the keypads in my home; I hear a clicking noise, as if the panel is sending a distress signal somewhere because of the cut wires (I did not hear this noise when I previously unplugged the phone line from the RJ45 phone input in the panel). So I was just hoping for a general description/summary of all the connection slots on the panel. I’ve got a terminal for “SF” and “Bell” (and a separate one for Siren)… just hoping to shed some light on what all of these could be.

This worked, I think.

Prior to wiring the smoke alarm to Konnected:

I had to crimp two male pins on the wire since the stranded wire used for the alarm was too thick for the jumper cables:

After plugging into Konnected:

No time to start a fire to test, but looks promising.

edit: grammer

1 Like

Hey-- i am having some issues with flashing the nodeMCU I have. I need to put the correct firmware on it and I cant figure it out. I am using a Macbook/OSX. I am unclear how to flash it with the right firmware/info.

the directions arent clear on how to do it-- can you assist on how to do this?

thanks

Josh

Great! Thanks for sharing. I’ll update the documentation to be more clear.