[OBSOLETE: NEWER VERSION AVAILABLE] Konnected Security 2.0 - Connect Wired Alarm System Sensors and Siren to SmartThings - big update and new name!

I had a much earlier version installed as well and I recently upgraded mine successfully. Is it possible you did not install the firmware provided by konnected, not remove all existing files from the nodemcu or didn’t install the latest lua code?

How did you reformat the nodemcu? Maybe try reformatting after you have the new firmware instead of before?

It looks like the firmware is missing some modules. Please flash the latest firmware from here: https://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-security/tree/master/firmware

1 Like

I’m using Explorer to do everything. I reformatted using the format button is explorer. I then flashed the latest firmware using the upload button and then flashed the lua files using the upload button

I flashed the konnected-security-2-0-5.bin file from the directory you linked and all files in the src directory. Is there something else that needs flashed?

I’ve never flashed firmware with esplorer. That may be your issue.

Edit: You NEED to use a flasher application, not Esplorer to flash the firmware. Visit the link below, and scroll down to the section that explains how to update your firmware:

https://docs.konnected.io/security-alarm-system/upgrading

Interesting. It seemed to flash it fine, even giving a success message after. Thanks for the info. I’ll try using a flasher app. Thanks

Uploading the firmware using ESPlorer is not the same as flashing and won’t work. You do need to use a firmware flash utility.

Hi All. I have a DAS NX8, with keyfobs. I’m thinking of replacing the panel with a Konnected Security setup (but may have to go the manual nodeNCU option given that delivery time is now March or later).

My main concern is using presence to arm/disarm the system. My phone sometimes has wifi issues (Galaxy S8 Edge). I’m concerned that if my phone drops off the home wifi then the alarm will arm. I could use the presence sensors, but they seem less than great.

I have arduino/ESP8266 development experience. Can I rig up ST_Anything on a Wemos board, and connect up my keyfob receiver to the wemos board - so I can still use my keyfobs to arm/disarm the system?

I didn’t realize the phones as pressence sensors were dependent on wifi, I thought it was a GPS thing? Anyways some improved presence sensing option would be nice as the iphone doesn’t seem 100% reliable. Also would be nice to have something for the car like to do motorized gate and garage door that you don’t really want happening when on foot or arriving via uber etc.

1 Like

I’m willing to revive this SmartApp if folks are interested in it. It was mostly written as a “proof of concept” and didn’t get a lot of traction.

This technically gives you 2-Factor Authentication for Disarming. You need to have one of the specific joined button controller (such as Aeon Mini-Motes Z-Wave), plus know the code to input.

While certainly many folks are getting a decent level of reliability from phone and/or ZigBee presence sensors, I personally have heard to many stories of unreliability.

Using ActionTiles or another keypad (including the keypad of your smart lock, like a Schlage; or an Iris Keypad, or … Buttons As PIN shown above) is a lot more like a traditional alarm control panel … there’s a reason that use model is still in use today in even the most modern alarm systems.

I might end up buying the kit but would like to attempt it myself first. Just want to make sure I am buying the right parts, can someone please review and let me know if anything I’ve chosen here is the wrong one or a better alternative available. Would prefer to buy from eBay as I want to use up some of my PayPal balance.

1. NodeMCU Wi-FI Module & Base board
  2. Relay module
    3.Jumper Cable Set
    4.Piezo buzzer

Here is my alarm board, please confirm if everything looks ok for it to be compatible with Konnected.

I think I will go the actiontiles on kindle route, but waiting on the connected board before getting rid of my existing alarm and keypad pannels.

1 Like

I think you need a different relay. You incorrectly selected a relay that uses a 12v trigger voltage. I think you want the lower 5v at the very least. I used these relays that say they support 3-7v trigger. You wire 5v from the nodeMCU baseboard and you wire your 3.3v GPIO pin signal to it. I don’t have any experience wiring a “straight forward” 5v relay, but some others could chime in. I think you’d be trying to power it with the 3.3v GPIO signal which probably works, but may be slow.

If I have a wireless Simon XT15 panel w/ wirless sensors, will connect work so i can dump my monitoring? Or this strictly for old wired systems?

Konnected will only work with wired security systems.

1 Like

Hey, just trying to look into alarm system integration and came across this page.
I have a GE Networx NX-6v2 system with two LCD keypads.
I was wondering if it’s possible to wire the sensors to both the ‘Konnected’ system and the existing alarm system (so that I can monitor the existing sensors with SmartThings, but keep the keypads etc of the existing system too) ?
I’m a software engineer with an electronics background, so none of this should be too complex, but I’ve never really looked into alarm systems before (I’m assuming the sensors are just normally-closed contacts, but not sure if they have specific impedence requirements etc)

Also it seems like the smoke detectors may be wireless, since they’re not wired into the panel at all (but can apparently be reset via the control panel/keypad, and do talk to each other, so that when one is triggered they all end up getting loud)

Check this page out to get you started:

https://docs.konnected.io/security-alarm-system/faq/konnected-with-existing-alarm/

Systems may vary, but I believe that most sensors are, as you assumed, normally-closed contacts. My smoke detectors were also wireless (and locked to my old alarm panel) so I replaced them with ones compatible with SmartThings. Good luck!

I wanted to post this out here in case anyone else runs into it. After updating to the latest Konnected SmartApp from the master branch, I began experiencing issues with devices relaying their state back to ST. The state changes would properly reflect on the Konnected status page but within the ST logs I was continuously receiving errors for device not found:

49d1c880-e595-46f1-b0c2-ab6e1635e6f9 3:12:21 PM: warn Device DC4F654897AB|1 not found!
49d1c880-e595-46f1-b0c2-ab6e1635e6f9 3:12:22 PM: warn Device DC4F654897AB|2 not found!
49d1c880-e595-46f1-b0c2-ab6e1635e6f9 3:12:23 PM: warn Device DC4F654897AB|5 not found!

After investigating further, I found that the Device Network ID (<mac>|<pin>) was not correctly populated for each of the contact sensor devices listed in ST graph Device List. Each device was configured with "000000000|1", "000000000|2", "000000000|5". Once I updated the Device Network ID to reflect the correct MAC address for the NodeMCU device, device states began updating correctly. I haven’t had a chance to dig into the SmartApp discovery process to see if something is broken but I plan to soon.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Nice layout! Where are your GND connections, isn’t that required for the relay pair?

Thanks, Ari. The two terminal blocks on the right are all connected to a common ground (from the first NodeMCU where AC power comes in). Let me know if you need more info, or more pictures.