[OBSOLETE: NEWER VERSION AVAILABLE] Konnected Security 2.0 - Connect Wired Alarm System Sensors and Siren to SmartThings - big update and new name!

Just edit the device handler in the SmartThings IDE and reverse the logic for 1 and 0 meaning open and close. Save and Publish the device handler. SmartThings will automatically pick it up. You don’t have to edit the SmartApp.

I did that part, but the new device handler didn’t appear in the list. I want to be able to use both flavors, so I need different names, correct?

Yes, you need two so add a new DTH based on the existing (view standard one, copy all, New device Handler -> From Code) and just add “Reversed” to the name. Then selectively pick your devices and switch to that one where you need it.

1 Like

My mistake is that I was trying to set that up in my cell phone app. The new device handler doesn’t appear there, but if I pick the standard Open/Close sensor and then I edit that in the smartthings web site (switching the handler by the inverse one) then it works.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!

Yes that’s a good workaround. I’ll try to add a configurable option in the next release.

Thanks to Nate and Allan. Now I have it working and showing the correct states. I managed to introduce a circuit between the sensors and the nodemcu so I could use my current alarm (Ademco) and the Konnected solution at the same time. I can post the circuits if anybody is interested. I thought that if I’m still using the alarm power supply, so why not keep using the rest? The main point is to have the system connected to ST, and it accomplishes that.
I’m using an optocoupler that will add some protection to the nodemcu. The long wires to the sensors are always a source of spikes in case of lightnings.

1 Like

If you really want to get fancy you can scroll up a couple posts and look at a custom contact sensor that I programmed. You could easily add another preference to invert the signal coming back. My example just changes the display labels and inverts the background color without inverting the actual status underneath but you could do that too. You could technically then have one Device handler that you could set to do whatever (invert actual status, invert color, change labels, etc) per device without having extra handlers.

-Allan

Looks exactly like what I need. I will try it. Thanks.

I updated it to include a invert of the actual status:

Try it and let me know. This is for the contact closure but the exact same code changes (added preferences, if/else block, etc) can be applied to a motion sensor or any of the others.

-Allan

just tested it, it works. I just need to change the labels for the Motion Sensor, great. Thanks.

1 Like

Are there any two wire smoke detectors that will work with Konnected system? My existing has the type that are not compatible.

thanks
Ed

Because 2-wire smoke detectors require power and signal on the same wires, they can’t work directly with Konnected without an intermediary. There is an interface module from System Sensor that looks like it should work with most of their 2-wire modules to give you a signal relay for signaling the Konnected board: https://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Pages/COSMOD2W.aspx

1 Like

To everybody who has been following this thread, using Konnected in their homes, sending me your EXCELLENT feedback, and supporting me and this project by buying DIY kits from konnected.io, A MILLION TIMES THANK YOU!! This community is really fantastic and is a huge part of what makes SmartThings great.

Today I’m very proud to announce here first, on the ST forums where this all started, the new Konnected Alarm Panel launching on Kickstarter very soon!

I originally created this project out of a personal need, but I made it better because of YOU and your feedback, encouragement, and monetary support. I can’t thank you all enough for giving me this opportunity to create something that really helps people and that I’m so passionate about.

I want to share Konnected with more people, so I’m continuously trying to find ways to improve and simplify the product. The Konnected Alarm Panel is the result of months of hard work and very late nights, and talking to many people like you. I’ve designed this circuit board to integrate all the components of the DIY kits into one compact, high-quality module that is a drop-in replacement for your old alarm system panel.

I’m launching this on Kickstarter because I need your help! My mission is to deliver high quality products at a fair and affordable price, so that home automation can be accessible to everyone. In order get to the price point that we think is fair, I need a minimum order of 1000. Kickstarter gives me a platform to share, but I need your help to reach your communites. You can help by signing up on konnected.io for early access and how to participate in the launch campaign.

Thank you all!
Nate

7 Likes

You have several options here:
1-Replace by 4-wire smoke detectors. In these smoke detectors the power and the signal are separated so they are easier to work with. For a straight installation, do not use a terminator resistor or a EOL relay. Konnected system (the ESP-12E) doesn’t understand 3 different current levels, so you lose the advantage of the power monitoring.
2-Use a 4-wire smoke detector, but use an additional relay or some other type of circuit to invert the logic so they are normally closed when there is no smoke AND when there is power. Then you can connect several detectors and at the same time keep the power monitoring. That’s what I did.
3-Add a special circuit to the 2-wire smoke detectors so you can detect the increase in current that occurs when one of them senses smoke. That’s how the alarm panel works, I don’t know the exact amount of current that needs to be monitored, but I’m sure it’s doable. Even if you make them work this way, you won’t have power monitoring.

1 Like

Very good timing on the release to KickStarter! I was looking for a similar idea today - and here you are. Count me in for 1 of the first 1000!

1 Like

great to hear!

1 Like

Of course as I get my house more automated, I stumble on to this solution. I’ll definitely sign up for 1 of those 1000, so only 998 more people to go.

I’m curious as to why the ESP8266 NodeMCU and not something like arduino which is where my mind went as I thought about using my existing wired contacts instead of purchasing wireless ones.

1 Like

Great! We’re launching the new design on Kickstarter tomorrow! I’ll post here again when it’s live.

ESP8266 vs Ardunio – primarily because the ESPs have WiFi built in so it makes it easy for IoT applications. Also they are less expensive in volume than most comparable Ardunios, which allows me to price the product really affordably.

1 Like

Everyone, we’re live on Kickstarter!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! to everyone here for your incredible support and encouragement. I’ve spent most of this year passionately obsessing over this project, and it’s so incredibly fulfilling to have made it this far and see and hear from all of you how much Konnected has improved your home, security, and life.

Please show your support today and back us on Kickstarter so I can continue to focus full-time on my mission to bring open and affordable home automation technology to everyone!

:star_struck: Thank you! :hugs:

1 Like

So, I’m happy to a backer. Looks like it is doing well. I have high hopes for this, primarily because I was not looking forward to rolling my own solution and I wanted to avoid wireless if possible and I already had hidden sensors for my doors/windows.

Good points on the ESP vs. Arduino.