[OBSOLETE] Keenect V1.2.0, optional separate vo settings for cooling, vent obstruction auto clear

Finally pushing the button on adding some Keen vents and associated temp sensors.

Wanted to bounce this off you all.

Nest is in great room between kitchen and master.

Step 1 - Add 2 Keen vents to master bedroom with a temp sensor (recommendations on best for this)

so that when cooking the master doesn’t go to 30 below.

Step 2 - add 2 keen vents to kitchen area so that at night I can reduce the amount of heat or AC I put to this area at night.

I want to be able to say…

When I run my good night macro, preference is given to the keen vents in the master, but at any other time preference is given to the great room.

Is this all doable?

yep.

This app will allow you to control what temp you want each room so if you have a temp sensor in your MBR and in the app set it to say 70 and you have vents and a temp sensor in the kitchen set at say 69 it will actuate the vents to open or closed as needed when the HVAC is on. Now if you want the remote sensor to act as the thermostat you can use Keep me Cozy or my custom based off of Keep me Cozy to use another temp sensor to drive the thermostat.

my setup is like this

I have 9 vents in 6 rooms. I have a temp sensor in each room. Each room has its own temp set in Keenect and all my thermostat is used for is to turn on the HVAC. My version of KMC adjusts the thermostat to turn it on based on a remote temp sensor. At night the HVAC is driven totally off of the sensor in my master bedroom and during the day the Living room temp sensor drives the HVAC system.

1 Like

Thanks for that… with that being said someone just pointed me to an article about Keen vents having bad zigbee reception and other issues… have you experienced anything like this?

If I do this these things have to be rock solid. (I don’t want to even imagine a wife who is angry and hot if vents don’t work)

I have 10, and no issues, it gets down to how solid your ZigBee mesh is.

I currently only have 2 zigbee items in the house. Guess I could add something to repeat a bit.

I dont have any zigbee repeaters. hub is centrally located furthest keen vent is 25 feet and three walls away. I do have a keen hub but dont have it paired up to act as a repeater

can you share your customized version of KMC?

Here ya go.

Main differences in mine and KMCII is
5 degree thermostat change at end of cycle to make sure the thermostat does not kick in heat/cool
1 degree swing for heat and cool

Pay no attention to what your thermostat set points are since the app will change them as needed. My house is 69 during the winter and when heat is running the thermostat set point is 74 when off it is 64.

This is a SmartApp, right?
I am getting the following error.

click the raw tab for the git code, then make sure you past that into from code tab in the IDE.

1 Like

Same error with raw code.

seems line 19 has been truncated, @keltymd ??

hummmmm. Try it now…

Was getting the same error. But I added a line for “author” and that worked.

definition(
name: “Keltymds Remote thermostat sensor”,
namespace: “keltymd”,
author: “keltymd”,
description: “Adjusts your thermostat like Keep me Cozy II but is designed to work with Keenect and allows more accurate tempurature control”,
iconUrl: “https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Meta/temp_thermo.png”,
iconX2Url: “https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Meta/temp_thermo@2x.png
)

1 Like

Thank you @damohabir I am no coder but its funny it worked for me…

Now for one last piece of the puzzle. Which temp sensors are you using? I am using IRIS Open/Close sensors for temp, but they only report temperatures with one degree change, and it seems only every hour, so it wont work for this application. I have read where others have modify the code to get it to report in 0.1 degree increment and much more frequently, but I don’t know how to do that.

I am using hsm200s and st814s

I set up a hue Zigbee white bulb connected directly to ST as a repeater in my basement and it fixed all my vent communication issues.

1 Like

I am super happy with the Ecobee 3 with remote sensors and follow me feature. I only use the Keen vents to shut off and on basement home theater heating when we are down there. I may need to add 2 more vents in summer to reduce cooling on 1st floor due to an open foyer design, but I can’t envision needing anymore than that. You really only need to buy enough to solve any balance issues and the Ecobee follow me feature will ensure the setpoint target temperature is controlling to where you actually are. I have not touched the temperature set point at all since installation.