[OBSOLETE] Keenect V1.2.0, optional separate vo settings for cooling, vent obstruction auto clear

I’m trying to install this for the first time and I am getting an “Error saving page” error when I try to add my Thermostat and Thermostat temperature sensor. I am using Nest and the Nest Manager app.

What am I doing wrong here? Seems pretty straight-forward. I have read the 2 years worth of comments above but may have missed where this has already addressed.

Thanks!

Looks like I am getting the same thing as virus86 except I cannot find a problem with how the Nest is named. Doesn’t mean it isn’t there - I just can’t find it…

5d00a45c-371d-4002-8ed9-7ddc189601c2 12:50:27 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toFloat() on null object @ line 69
5d00a45c-371d-4002-8ed9-7ddc189601c2 12:50:27 PM: debug Updated with settings: [isACcapable:true, tempSensors:Nest Thermostat - Upstairs, tStat:Nest Thermostat - Upstairs]
5d00a45c-371d-4002-8ed9-7ddc189601c2 12:50:27 PM: debug Installed with settings: [isACcapable:true, tempSensors:Nest Thermostat - Upstairs, tStat:Nest Thermostat - Upstairs]

this happens when the nest device in ST doesn’t have a value for the heating or cooling setpoint.
In this case it appears to be heating setpoint. in any event if you could start a short heating cycle from ST, then start a short cooling cycle these values should be set, after which you shouldn’t have an issue installing the app.
Let me know, I’m interested in how my app compares to KeenVentManager
Thanks, Mike

That got it. I hadn’t had the heat configured at all since it is still getting into the 90’s here and when I first got the Nest it wouldn’t even let me try to bump it on due to the safety settings based on the outdoor temps. I just bumped it on and kinda gave my Nest a conniption fit to where it kept trying to heat and cool but I think I finally got the cleared up. I’m at work so I bet my wife was raising an eyebrow at home… Heh.

Anyway, its installed now - yay! It was pretty easy to set-up. I can’t tell if it is working yet since the Nest was saying it was in heat mode but a cooling state (clearly, I confused the poor thing) so I think that preventing it from triggering a close even though it is below the target temp. I’ll report back once I see it work. I’m in efficiency mode right now so it will be a couple hours before it would be triggered.

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Sorry maybe posting into the wrong line, but here what i have img bellow, (i dont know how to fix it)

Freaking nest…switch to heat for a few minutes, or a.c. if it was in heat mode.

Got it. Thank you

How do I try this smart app? I have the ecobee3 and just received my first batch of vents

I recently installed the SmartApp, and I was having the same problem as slava. The only way I’ve been able to make Keenect not give me an error is to have my Nest in the “Auto” heat/cool mode (has a heat and cool set point). If I have it in just heat, or just cool mode, it gives me this error. Hopefully this helps get to the bottom of it.

The issue resides in the non standard way the driver works. Since I don’t own a nest there isn’t anyway for me to fix it.

That’s understandable. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to give you information, if you decide to try to fix it. What thermostat do you own? I’ve been considering an Ecobee 3 or 4 (I have an old, first gen Nest). But, I’d like to lean toward something more compatible with this app, since the vent control is very important to me. Thanks for all the work you’ve put into this app!

I had echobees, before keenect, I had too much trouble fighting the cloud modes. I switched to a smart dumb thermostat, that’s all you need use routines and modes to manage setpoints, or schedule them if you must via st.
Any zigbee, zwave thermostat will do.
I have a Zen and a centralite perl, both fit the bill.

Thanks for the info! As long as my thermostat has an API, or other means that allows me to grab the current humidity, that’s really the only “smart” thing I need it to do (I’m using an RPi as a humidistat). I’ll check out some of the more basic z-wave thermostats. Do you actually have smartthings triggering the thermostat to kick on, based on temps in keen zones in your home? If so, has it been reliable?

Keenect doesn’t override the main thermostat setpoints or operating modes, doing so would likely severely overheat other areas of the home. The keen vents have quit a bit of built in by pass, meaning even with a vent completely shut it’s still possible to have a room go beyond it’s local temp goal. I beleive this was intentional to prevent excessive static back pressure situations.
Regarding humidity, might be simpler to just get a standalone humidity sensor…
Reliability is going to be determined by smartthings current temperment and your thermostats ability to provide the events that keenect needs.

Hey Mike, this app looks awesome! I installed it last night, however when i click on “Last Results” everything says “No data available yet”, If I click on “Current State”, all the “running” states are “false”, “qr active” is false, “set point” is also “no data available yet”,

How long is it supposed to take to get this information?

Ahhh ok, so I also installed a custom device handler for my ecobee yesterday. I started looking at your code, and realized all these variables start getting populated once the thermostatOperatingState changes from NOT idle. I went into my device on the website to check, and sure enough it had been idle for 17 hours, but it was actually running. It looks like the device handler that I installed is not updating the status. I reverted to the built in one, and the status changed, and now I am starting to get information :slight_smile:

I just started getting the error again after a couple weeks of it working with the Nest only in heat mode. Are you saying I can just switch to Cool so it gets the set point then go back to heat mode? Or do I need to keep it in auto. I thought it just needed the set point and it was working. But the majority of the time I have used auto mode without issue.

I have moved home and now have excess Keen SmartVents. I have:

6x10 = 5
6x12 = 3

Anyone interested in making me an offer?