[RELEASE] Smart Vent Manager - smartapp commissioned by Keen Home

This is my third time re-installing the smartapp.

I just reviewed the configuration and the only empty values are labelled either “optional” or “blank: determined by smartapp” which I assume to mean I can leave it blank and the value will be established by the app.

Also, as I noted above, I have two rooms that went through to completion. The third room is configured just like the other two, the only difference being the name of the room and the temperature sensor used in the room.

The first two rooms used a motion sensor in the first and a temperature sensor in the second so it’s not a problem with the different devices.

Thoughts?

Hi @Curtis_Edsall, this could be a temporary ST issue. You may want to try later.

Regards.

EDIT: If you still have issues later, just set the detailedNotification to true in the Notifications Page, use Live Logging, and send me the logs at services@maisonsecomatiq.com.

Hi Curtis, based on the line number (769), it looks like your smart vent in your 3rd room is not reporting any temperature readings.

You may want to check it out and maybe re-pair it properly.

Regards.

KK so if anyone is interested in the $25 discount, here is a new one that should be good at least for a couple days.

I would like my master bedroom vent to close if a temp reading in the room is 68 or higher. Here are my settings. With this work?

Well, you shouldn’t set the vent level to 0 if you want a dynamic adjustment of your vent level based on the temp threshold of 68F.

You only set (force) a static value if you want to bypass the dynamic vent calculation in the smartapp …

Regards.

Hi,

Today I released a new version of Smart Vent Manager (V1.5) which polls or refreshes the thermostat on a regular basis in order for the smartapp to be more reactive to any change in its OperatingState (i.e. Heating, Cooling, etc.).

The new version is available at my github.

Regards.

My heating setup is a little bit different. We only need to heat 2 rooms at night in a 3800 square foot house. So we turn off the central heat at 10pm and use ceramic 450w wall heaters connected to smart plugs. Using CoRE and temperature sensors, the wall heaters are turned off and on in order to maintain different specific temperatures in the two bedrooms. However, we want to heat the upstairs in the morning before we get up to use the kitchen and get ready for the day. At 5:15am the central heat is turned back on. This is where I need the vent to come into play. Between 5:15 and 6am the room gets super hot as it is already warm due to the wall heaters (which are turned off when central heat kicks on) and all that hot air comes into the room making it very uncomfortable.

So, I think I either need the vent opened to a level to maintain a temperature in the room (controlled by app) or completely closed. Open before 10pm to be heated normally, completely closed at 5:15 when the central heater comes back on, and reopened when the mode switches from Away to “leave from work.” Leave from work is a mode that just turns the heat back on so the house is warm when we get home from work.

Hi @shaxs ,

If you have specific schedule requirements, then you need to use my zoned Heating/Cooling solutions.

Smart Vent Manager is only good for simple requirements with no specific scheduled events.

As soon as you start talking about specific timeframes for opening/closing your vents, then you need the ability to schedule the vent settings.

And,there are many smartapps that I’ve created to do so based on your use cases.

Please refer to this thread for more details:

BTW, if you want to synchronize your wall heaters setpoints and your vent settings, you don’t need to use Core to do so. My zoned Heating/Cooling solutions have the ability to set your “zone/room” thermostats’ setpoints (ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule and ScheduleTstatZones) and much more…

You’d need to create different zones in your home to do so, and associate the right thermostat to the zone along with the target setpoints for your zone.

Regards.

Is there a way to change the vent reporting time from 15 min to 10 or 5?

Hi, the temperature reporting time with the DTH in my 1st post in this thread is usually 5-10 minutes (not 15 minutes).

Regards.

I tried them both and they both ran at 15 min intervals.

Hi, that’s strange. The refresh rate at my place is around 10 minutes usually.

For your custom requirement, you may want to look under the configure() method. There are some explanations on how to change the value in hexadecimal. You can tweak it for the DTH under

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices

Regards.

Hi,

I made some changes today to the smartapp (v1.6):

• when no thermostat is provided as input, the desired temp in the room will be also checked against the room temp and the vents will be open/closed accordingly. Previously, the vents were left open in all cases.

• added some checks in setVentSwitchLevel() to avoid obstruction and logs some warnings if any.

You’d need to resync at the github.

Regards.

Just installed my 2 keen vents in my basement. I think I installed keen vent manager ok. The vents do open and close on command. My usage is that my basement is usually unoccupied and its wasteful to heat it as much as my lower floor (same zone) or cool it during summer. I’m fine with it to be cooler than the lower floor during winter and hotter during summer when the AC is needed. (I live in northeast US). Currently, the vent temp reads >100 degrees when the heat is on and when heat is off around 70. do I need an additional temp sensor in the basement for what I want? also is my threshold of 65 going to work for me during summer? it seems the logic will leave vents open and therefore cooling an unoccupied space. Would it make more sense to have a threshold for heating and a different one for cooling? or am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

Hi,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. You’d need either a temp/motion sensor with KeenVentManager or one of my zoned heating/cooling solutions in order to configure an active zone -which excludes your basement) when required during the day).
  1. If you want to control the vents based on different cooling/heating thresholds, you’d need to contribute to ScheduleRoomTempControl which has much more features at my store (amongst other zoning/scheduling capabilties and different thresholds for heating/cooling).

For more details about ScheduleRoomTempControl, refer to the ST community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl

ScheduleRoomTempControl is available for download at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards.

I use to use the free keenect app and it worked great. Keen has released a direct ecobee app that lets you use the remotes in each space to control the local vents and it works very well. Keen is also working on a third party temp sensor arrangment to do what you want. Once I got a dozen or more vents in my system the overhead seemed to bog ST down so that why I went to the direct ecobee/keen arrangement. St seems to run much smoother without all the vents on the system.

Hi @susanandmichaelw,

I don’t know how long you’ve been using smart vents, but my experience is very different from yours (and most of my contributors). I’ve been using the Keen Vents since the Keen beta testing (more than 2 years ago), and I haven’t had any ST performance issues. I have more than 100 connected devices, and 16 smart vents with no performance issues whatsoever.

You may want to contact ST support as I suspect that you have some zigbee mesh issues.

Some of my contributors have also used the Keen app for a while, and they came back to my zoned heating/cooling solutions as they have way more features and configuration options.

Here are some recent testimonials:

Regards.

It’s been right at two years working with the vents on ST and I currently have 15 vents in use. I’m not talking about the original manual only keen app… I’m currently running the recently released Keen app that works directly with the ecobee3. Its very straight forward and works well for our ~3600sqft three level home using 3 repeaters and the ecobee sensors in every room with or without a vent. We are only running ~ 65 switches, receptacles, contact sensors and motion detectors with ST but we do have a bunch of hue lamps, sonos speakers, and 6 users. Removing the vents made a noticable difference in control response and general operation of ST. I havent tried the vents on ST again since Keen pushed the vent firmware updates out over the air a month or so back. I agree the ecobee sensors are a bit slow but 3 minutes seems plenty fast for hvac control. I had always noticed the Hue hub, ST, and Keen hub had proximity issues and zigbee in particular seemed to suffered at times.

thanks for that info. But I have 2 nest thermostats. Starting to regret that somewhat but too busy/lazy to switch to ecobee and my family has gotten used to the nests. I’ll have to see how the paid version of keen vent manager works. I don’t think I will have that many keen vents. I’ll start with two and see how that goes.