[RELEASE] Iris SmartPlug Z-Wave Repeater with Diagnostics

I loaded the Iris SmartPlug Z-Wave Repeater DTH and my experience is that it is definitely useful in determining a broken Iris Plug. Sadly the Z-Wave repeater functionality gave after 6 month. This DTH helped diagnosing it and the replacement works fine.

Funny though, the DTH seems to interfer with other DTHs, namely a GoControl LB60Z-1 Dimmable LED now poses as Iris Z-Wave Repeater. Going into Graph API changing it to Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Generic brought the functionality of dimmer back. Yet, why does not-so-SmartThings discover the bulb as z-wave repeater??

1 Like

Thatā€™s a problem with this DTH I believe. My homeseer switches also get assigned this DTH by default. Itā€™s easy enough to go in and assign the correct one when this happens. Itā€™s been a long time so I donā€™t think the author is interested in fixing it.

I commented out the fingerprint a long time ago for the same reason.

1 Like

The best thing to do is comment out the fingerprint as @Automated_House suggests. It is the correct fingerprint for the device, but it apparently shares that finger print as other devices. Iā€™ve not run into this myself but I also donā€™t have any GoControl or Homeseer devices.

EDIT: Iā€™ve updated the fingerprint to match against the manufacturer ID. This didnā€™t work earlier this year when I first published this so your mileage may vary.

Here are the changes:

• Fixed potential schedule issue that would cause OFFLINE repeaters to be polled too frequently.
  • Updated Z-Wave fingerprint to eliminate false identification with other devices.

The one near the house shows up as ā€œLIfeline (#1) with hubā€, version 1.2. The last refresh reads 2018-08-09 23:45:31 and SmartThings thinks the device is unavailable. I hit the refresh button and it comes right up. Interrogate works fine. Z-Wave test yields me 30/30 frames received.

Yea, I am also curious about this as my plugs constantly show as unavailable. After refreshing or interrogating (which are successful) the plugs show online for about an hour, and then become unavailable after about an hour or so. I have 14 Iris plugs, and all 14 become unavailable after some time.
Screenshot_20190221-170608|281x500

Make sure that device health is enabled in the device settings page (itā€™s a different setting from the ST device health). Itā€™s probably a result of ST not running the task every 30 mins.

Im assuming you mean this enable device online check? Itā€™s on for all of them

Thank you for this! It is very useful to be able to confirm that the Iris devices are online and functioning as z-wave repeaters.

I was having problems getting the z-wave portion to pair, so I

• ran an exclude from ST
  • ran a z-wave repair in ST
  • unplugged my Iris hub

and these things seemed to help.

After I plugged in each Iris device while holding the button, I just started jabbing the button as many times as I could and as quickly as possible until it showed up in ST as ā€œIris Z-wave Repeaterā€.

This worked for 2 plugs when all other advice I found online did not.

2 Likes

Anyone paired one of these lately. I have two that were paired to the system at my old house and have been off line for about 6 months. Well I am finally ready to add them back but they will not pair. I have others that have paired but itā€™s been a month or so since I paired the last one. Pairing the Z-wave portion is always a bit tricky but the Zigbee portion has always been pretty easy.

I have tried both plugs and both do the same thing. I reset and they go into pairing mode the blue light starts flashing. As soon as I start the join process in ST the blue light will flash rapidly, which I think indicates it paired. Nothing ever show up in the app however. I am also able to exclude them with the Z-wave exclude function.

Have you tried the long press reset. You press and hold the button while plugging in the SmartPlug until the relay clicks a second time?

Assuming the plug is on the latest firmware, as soon as the Zigbee portion is detected press the button 8 times within 5 seconds and wait another minute or two. Should be detected by then. If not, reboot the hub and try again.

1 Like

Got home tonight and tried one last smart plug that I had yet to reconnect and same thing. It starts to flash and then as soon as I start pairing with my ST hub it flashes fast for a couple of seconds and stops. Nothing ever shows up as paired in ST app. I took them and connected them to my Iris hub so I could see what version of firmware and they have the same version as the 4 I already have connected 20085010.

How long is the long reset? I held the button for a good minute and it only clicked once. Also what version of firmware do others have?

No, it is in the IDE device preferences. By default, mine were set to false. I changed them to true just now. Iā€™ve been having the exact same problem as you described. Hopefully this will fix it.

About 20 seconds I thinkā€¦ Should take much more than that. Did you ever reboot the hub too? It almost feels as if the Z-Wave stack is in a weird state.

I am using the DTH from shackrat : Iris Z-Wave Repeaterā€¦ Do I just replace the code of that one with this one and it will continue to work?

I only use the Z-Wave portion of this SmartPlugs :slight_smile:

I might be misunderstanding you, but that is the same code which you are currently using.

If I have a couple more zwave repeaters around, they stop going offline.

Thanks @kruznby! That did the trick!
Devices are all showing online now =)

Yes I have tried removing power from the Hub and sending a Hub reset from the IDE. I also took all three and connected to my Iris hub, they all paired very quickly, then removed and same thing. One I left connected all day yesterday and I wanted to see if anything updated but the firmware did not change. Havenā€™t tried to re-pair it yet but I am not hopeful at this point.

I currently have four connected to the system. They all paired easily on the Zigbee side, a couple of them took a few tries to get the Z-wave working. The four that I have connected work well. I am at a loss.

I sent a email to ST support to see if they had any insight, and as I expected they sent me back a canned response about how to reset the switch and the general pairing procedure.

In their procedure they listed how to pair the device, and even though I had said I was using the classic app, it still listed the new app procedure apparently.

This is the procedure they sent

In the SmartThings mobile app:
1.From the Home screen, touch the Plus (+) icon and select Add device
2.Select IRIS, touch Outlet
3.Choose a Hub for the device and touch Next
4.Choose a Room for the device and touch Next
5.While the Hub searches, plug the device in. The LED will begin blinking to indicate that itā€™s attempting to pair

I assume this is the from the new app because in the classic app I select My Home>Things>Add a thing. So my question is, should I try the new app? From what I have been reading you can use both, without causing issues, correct?

There must be something wrong with my hub, I guess it could be something in software on STā€™s end but I donā€™t see anyone having issues. Many people are bringing the Iris plugs over in the Iris shutdown. I took one of the plugs that will not pair and I was able to pair it to a Alexa Plus hub, the Iris Hub(Again), and a SystronicRF hub. The SystronicRF Hub is a Raspberry Pi based hub I am beta testing. None of the other hubs had an issue with the plug. I used the same procedure each time, the same one I used to try and pair with ST. I tried a zigbee reset of shutting down the hub for 15 minutes. That did nothing.

Oh and BTW I can still pair other Zigbee devices. I paired a Third reality switch and a Iris V2 contact sensor, both Zigbee.