[RELEASE] Iris SmartPlug Z-Wave Repeater with Diagnostics

Thanks. Wondering where I went wrong then. What DHT do I need to have the Zigbee repeat?

None. The default outlet that gets assigned is the zigbee part.

I have four of them and support is saying they’re not repeating so obviously something’s not setup right

What did you use to map the Zigbee?

I used an Xbee pro module configured to join smarthings connected to my PC. Then used the free XCTU software.

There is several threads with people doing the same thing.

@BBoy486 this thread here is very active,

I believe they talk about it in there with enough detail to answer your questions.

If not search Xbee there are multiple old and newer threads on it. You’ll see my experiences posted in some of the older ones.

1 Like

@SteveWhite
I get this too, but I think it’s actually working, just not on the heartbeat that smartthings expects. I’d love to hear from the dev what his thoughts/experiences are here.

Thanks for the DTH - it’s very helpful for confirming that the plug is alive and talking to the hub!

I’ve (hopefully) excluded the plug and re-paired it already in an attempt to fix this, but my Z-wave network repairs still report:
Network Repair for Iris Z-Wave Repeater [0B]: Failed to update mesh
…and I’m not sure what’s wrong. Has anyone managed to resolve that problem?

From other forum posts I recall reading that there was a bad or marginal batch of Z-Wave modules shipped with some of the older Iris plugs; I have one that I have never been able to include and ‘pass’ a Z-Wave repair though it works fine for Zigbee (and none of my other Iris plugs show this problem). It’s possible yours may fall into that category. If you’re within the 1 year warranty period, Lowe’s should make good on it.

1 Like

I installed this for my two Iris 3210 plugs in my back yard (one at the house and the other at my detached garage in the back to repeat Z-Wave to it). Had no problem installing the DTH.

The one near the house shows up as “LIfeline (#1) with hub”, version 1.2. The last refresh reads 2018-08-09 23:45:31 and SmartThings thinks the device is unavailable. I hit the refresh button and it comes right up. Interrogate works fine. Z-Wave test yields me 30/30 frames received.

The one at my garage, believe it or not, is the same, including “Lifeline (#1) with hub”.

Curious why it does not report recent enough to the hub so the hub stops thinking it is offline?

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but it seems the “Configure” button does not work.

Bueler? Bueler? Bueler?

Can’t get more rude than that.

I loaded the Iris SmartPlug Z-Wave Repeater DTH and my experience is that it is definitely useful in determining a broken Iris Plug. Sadly the Z-Wave repeater functionality gave after 6 month. This DTH helped diagnosing it and the replacement works fine.

Funny though, the DTH seems to interfer with other DTHs, namely a GoControl LB60Z-1 Dimmable LED now poses as Iris Z-Wave Repeater. Going into Graph API changing it to Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Generic brought the functionality of dimmer back. Yet, why does not-so-SmartThings discover the bulb as z-wave repeater??

1 Like

That’s a problem with this DTH I believe. My homeseer switches also get assigned this DTH by default. It’s easy enough to go in and assign the correct one when this happens. It’s been a long time so I don’t think the author is interested in fixing it.

I commented out the fingerprint a long time ago for the same reason.

1 Like

The best thing to do is comment out the fingerprint as @Automated_House suggests. It is the correct fingerprint for the device, but it apparently shares that finger print as other devices. I’ve not run into this myself but I also don’t have any GoControl or Homeseer devices.

EDIT: I’ve updated the fingerprint to match against the manufacturer ID. This didn’t work earlier this year when I first published this so your mileage may vary.

Here are the changes:

• Fixed potential schedule issue that would cause OFFLINE repeaters to be polled too frequently.
  • Updated Z-Wave fingerprint to eliminate false identification with other devices.

The one near the house shows up as “LIfeline (#1) with hub”, version 1.2. The last refresh reads 2018-08-09 23:45:31 and SmartThings thinks the device is unavailable. I hit the refresh button and it comes right up. Interrogate works fine. Z-Wave test yields me 30/30 frames received.

Yea, I am also curious about this as my plugs constantly show as unavailable. After refreshing or interrogating (which are successful) the plugs show online for about an hour, and then become unavailable after about an hour or so. I have 14 Iris plugs, and all 14 become unavailable after some time.
Screenshot_20190221-170608|281x500

Make sure that device health is enabled in the device settings page (it’s a different setting from the ST device health). It’s probably a result of ST not running the task every 30 mins.

Im assuming you mean this enable device online check? It’s on for all of them

Thank you for this! It is very useful to be able to confirm that the Iris devices are online and functioning as z-wave repeaters.

I was having problems getting the z-wave portion to pair, so I

• ran an exclude from ST
  • ran a z-wave repair in ST
  • unplugged my Iris hub

and these things seemed to help.

After I plugged in each Iris device while holding the button, I just started jabbing the button as many times as I could and as quickly as possible until it showed up in ST as “Iris Z-wave Repeater”.

This worked for 2 plugs when all other advice I found online did not.

2 Likes