[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

Thanks, I will give those a try tomorrow.

Holding the button for about 15-20 seconds while plugging in does perform a hard reset, but be aware that a hard reset does not put the plug into pairing mode. You’ll know the plug has hard reset because it will turn on then back off. At that point you can release the button. Wait a couple seconds then remove the plug from the receptacle. Plug it back in and you should be able to pair.

1 Like

That is patently false, I’m not even sure how support can tell. I can tell you, the only powered Zigbee devices I have are 46 Iris Smart Plugs, plus a couple SmartThings plugs. I have over 50 battery powered Zigbee devices as well all covering over 4K square feet plus a detached garage. If they didn’t repeat I wouldn’t have a zigbee mesh.

4 Likes

Ok, this is weird. For some reason my Hubitat hub picked up the Iris plug! I don’t know why or how but the HE hub was not in pairing mode when I was trying to pair the plug to my ST hub. I just happened to look at my Hubitat device list to verify my Xiaomi leak sensors are still connected and I saw the Generic Zigbee Outlet in my device list with yesterday’s date on it. :confused:

I just bought two of these today and the ZigBee Switch Power shows the energy usage just fine.

I picked one of these up at Lowe’s today. I added the Device Handler and published it. When I ‘Add Device’ and plug in the plug it picks it up as ‘Outlet’ but says it is not reachable. Any idea of what I’m doing incorrectly? I’m not sure if it matters but I did recently switch to the new SmartThings app on my phone. I was able to add a new Iris motion sensor today.

I figured it out. I was missing the detail of changing the device type in the IDE to ‘SmartPower Outlet’. Thanks

Purchased two of these today because they were on clearance. I cant get SmartThings to detect either of them with Zigbee. I was able to get them added with zwave, however.

I’ve tried the reset and various other procedures throughout this thread without any luck. E.g. holding the button in for 20 seconds, removing the batteries from the smart hub, etc.

It seems either they never go into Zigbee pairing mode or the smart hub isn’t detecting them for whatever reason. Has anyone encountered this? Or is there a version of these plugs that are not compatible?

Are you sure you can’t get them to pair Z-wave? Zigbee is easy with these outlets. Just plug them in while holding the button, keep holding until led turns blue, then release. Then put your ST hub in pairing mode and it should be found almost immediately. You should then be able to control the outlet assuming you use the Smart Power Outlet Device Handler

Getting the z-wave side to pair is the harder part.

There is an incompatible model of Iris plug, but its model number will not include 3210-L or 3210-L2. For either of those, usually all you need to do is: Unplug it from AC power, depress the white button and while keeping it depressed insert the plug into a powered outlet. Wait for a second or so for the blue light to turn on; at that time release the white button. The Zigbee radio in the plug should then be discovered by the ST hub within several seconds if it is in ‘add a thing’ mode.

Not sure how the advice of removing batteries from the hub would apply. I don’t believe that would help in any way with adding devices to your network (but it may save your hub from being damaged by leaking batteries).

Just a thought; is it possible the plug has already been joined to your Zigbee network? If so you won’t see any additional message from your ST hub during subsequent Zigbee join attempts, even if the module has been reset-- unlike Z-Wave, it doesn’t get a new ID assigned with every join. If so, the device would appear in your list of things with some generic Zigbee device label (or possibly as an Iris device; I forget if it is automatically recognized as such now).

Thanks for the response guys. I finally got one of the plugs working. After doing the reset procedure more times than I can count, the led blinked a number of times and then was discovered as “outlet”.

I’ve been unable to reproduce this stroke of luck with the second plug. I’ve been at this for a couple of hours now. Here’s a video, hopefully I’m not missing something obvious. Sometimes the LED stays lit, sometimes it turns off as seen in the video. I’ve tried holding button for longer and shorter periods of time.

Finally got the second one working. Not sure what I did different. Only thing I can think of is they were both unplugged for a few minutes before their successful pairing. Thanks for the help guys.

1 Like

That’s good news. Possibly there is some RC time constant that needs to elapse before the internal circuitry is completely powered down. As Dan pointed out usually the Z-Wave part is the higher hurdle.

Ugh. I’ve installed plenty of these plugs before with no issue, but for some reason, I can’t get any more to connect. I have reset them, gotten the little “flash” effect, but pairing just doesn’t happen. I even tried pairing other types of devices just to make sure pairing working at all, and that seemed to be fine.

I have tried 3 different plugs. None will pair.

Ideas??

Just got a pair of these as well (clearance at Lowes - but the ones I got were 3210-L2 if that makes a difference). I had not seen this thread prior to trying to pair so I went the “Thing” route first and then did the 8 quick button-presses and it showed up as a Z-wave device.

My question: Is the Zwave portion just a repeater? When I check the zwave device it does not update status (on/off) it just stays lit as On - I’m assuming it just means that it is ON as a repeater
correct?

Yup, just a repeater.

No, that LED is for the switch status, which is zigbee controlled. When you included that device you should have had a new zigbee switch added.

Thanks for confirming the repeater portion.

For the second part I was actually referring to what is “lit” as ON within the ST app under the zwave device, not the LED on the actual plug, but thanks again for responding and clearing it up for me .

1 Like

If you go into the IDE and switch the device handler to “Z-wave range extender”, it will hide the device in the app and eliminate any confusion; the repeater portion doesn’t turn on/off and that control is just an artifact of whatever handler is chosen by default.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I noticed, however, that after changing the DTH to “Z-wave range extender” it now shows “Execution Location” as “Cloud” vs “Local”. Not sure that has any impact since the device technically doesn’t execute anything
or am I wrong in that assumption?

I had renamed the z-wave device with a prefix like “Z-Wave-Repeater_[device name]” so that ST sorts it to the bottom of my list and as such doesn’t really bother me. Just want to make sure I’m not losing some functionality by updating the DTH?

Odd. Since I didn’t add that myself I assumed it’d be a local one and I never checked
 Can’t imagine that would affect repeater functionality though.