[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

I only use the ST Classic App, but that’s just me. Until ST says the New ST App (Connect) is ready for developers, I’ll be sticking to the Classic App.

1 Like

This is probably a silly question but what do you mean ‘ready for developers’?

Your comment made me check out the Classic app. It looks like devices and scenes sync across apps. It doesn’t look like routines even existed in Classic.

Is there a benefit to the Classic app? It looked like ST was pushing people to use Connect, especially new users. I know this is a bit off of the original topic but thanks!

Smasung/SmartThings has not yet (to my knowledge) released official documentation for how to design and develop SmartApps and DeviceHandlers to work properly with the new SmartThings (Connect) app. Until they do this, I am choosing to continue to use the ST Classic App as I use quite a bit of my own custom code.

1 Like

Hi,

I purchased four Iris Smart Plugs and was able to add them (the Zigbee portion) to Smartthings now with no issues. I did not need the manual device handler. Smartthings seems to be able to control them out of the box. They seem to be functioning OK. Is the device handler no longer necessary or does it provide additional functionality?

I was also able to pair the zwave portion of the outlets with Smartthings. Three of the four zwave devices are showing on. One of them is showing off, even though the zigbee portion of all of the outlets are off.

I’ve run the ZWave Repair utility from IDE. It finds all of the devices (with names, so it doesn’t look like there are any ghost devices). For all 4 devices, it shows “failed to update mesh info”.

For the device where the zwave is off, it also shows “failed to updated route info”. I’m assuming the “failed to update route info” messages are OK, unless someone tells me that it’s not OK. :slight_smile:

The other three devices do not show anything about route info. Does that mean for three of the devices, the route info is OK or Smarrthings doesn’t even know about them?

For the outlet where the zwave device is showing off, I tried to turn it on via the app, and it shows on in the My Home Things overview but when I click on the device for specifics, it shows as off. Is there something I need to do to get this device to behave like the others?

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Scott

Some people really like the zwave repeater portion of the iris plugs, but I personally NO longer use the zwave repeater portion, due to the reasons you mention. It complicates getting my zwave repair to complete without errors.

As far as the zigbee portion, what is the model # on the iris plug?

Last time I paired an iris plug, I needed to manually switch the dth of the device to “SmartPower Outlet”. Smartthings did not pair it to the correct DTH for me automatically.

2 Steps to pair

1. Pair it - see that it pairs as “thing.” Change the DTH to smart power outlet.

Then we are going to re-pair it, and this time, since it is already a smart power outlet, during initialization, smartthings sends to the outlet the commands to setup reporting of power.

1. Pair it a second time using this technique
    a) unplug device
    b) In smartthings app turn on “find device”
    c) Plug in device while holding down on/off button, this forces device to repair.
    d) Since zigbee ID does not change on device pairing, smartthings recognizes this device from previous pairing and is able to send initial startup commands to smart plug.
1 Like

Thanks professor. Using your instructions, I am now able to get the outlet to report power. I forgot to include that I did change the DTH when I set it up initally, from Thing to SmartPower Outlet. It took a few times on step 2 for each outlet but they all seem to be functioning correctly now, at least the zigbee portion.

I am still having issues with the zwave setup though. That’s why I bought these outlets - because I was hoping to increase my zwave mesh network. I’d like to get them functional but just not sure where to go at this point.

I will send the thanks to
@johnconstantelo

as he is the one who shared the “secret” with me.

I am now just passing it on!

1 Like

Is there a trick to getting the zwave repeater to work? I have this paired as Iris Smart Plug & Z-Wave Device but my zwave device close to it is still showing offline.

Did you Pair the Z-Wave repeater with your ST Hub? By default, it only pairs the Zigbee portion of the Iris 3210-L device.

My solution for getting these to pair both with Zigbee and Z-Wave is as follows:

1. Do NOT start the pairing process yet!
  2. Press and Hold the button while plugging the 3210-L into the power outlet.
  3. When the blue LED turns on, release the button. The LED should start blinking.
  4. Now Press and Hold the button again until the LED sequence changes slightly.
  5. NOW start the pairing process with your hub.

Doing the above allowed my Hubitat hub to pair both the Zigbee and Z-Wave radios at the same time.

Of course, YMMV! I think these outlets have been shipped with a few different revisions of firmware which may affect the pairing process for the z-wave repeater.

1 Like

For older devices an alternate method might be necessary. If the Z-Wave part isn’t discovered after the steps shown above, rapidly depress the white button (as quickly as you can count to eight) and release (it’s not necessary to unplug it before trying this if the Zigbee part has already joined). The blue light will then begin flashing and the Z-Wave part should be paired in a few moments.

It may be necessary to do the Z-Wave pairing near the hub-- I recently paired several of these which had the latest firmware and for some reason they would not pair in place even near other Z-Wave plus repeaters yet paired instantly near the hub (the Zigbee radios for these paired easily in place). Also note that doing the ‘hold button while inserting plug’ will reset both the Zigbee and Z-Wave radios; however the Z-Wave ‘rapid press’ method can be done repeatedly without needing to re-do the Zigbee join.

2 Likes

Is there anyway to verify. SmartThings support tells me they are not repeating.

You could buy an XBee module and map out your Zigbee network.

Not sure that I’d believe ST Support on this topic. You may want to contact another support person to see if you get a different answer.

It shows that it is paired. What DTH should it be using?

Not sure what I did but looks like it is working now.

Any trick to getting these plugs to update to the latest firmware on the Iris hub? I had 4 plugs and 2 updated to the latest but two have been sitting for days and are still on RTM version. I even tried resetting and re-pairing them.

Is there some sort of trick to show KWh witbthis handlwr? I can’t get it to show and yet see others saying they see it listed. Here’s what mine looks like.

That’s ST stock DTH. You’ll need a custom one to display that. There’s a post above with this one:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/josea/Iris-Smart-Plug/master/devicetypes/blebson/iris-smart-plug.src/iris-smart-plug.groovy

Yeah I got it working last night. Thanks.

1 Like

I found an open box of this at the local lowe’s but cannot get the thing (zigbee) to pair for the life of me. That is probably why it’s an open box :smirk:

Tried it with so many variations of holding the button while plugging in… including a couple of hail mary

lol. try 1 more thing?

Leave it plugged in, and then quickly press the button 5 times (maybe 7). Some zigbee devices use that sequence to reset themselves and go into inclusion mode.

If that doesn’t work, what happens when you hold the button down when plugging in for a very long time, like 20 seconds?

1 Like