[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

Just to clarify, initiating the Zigbee join (which does a full reset of the Z-Wave repeater also) requires depressing and holding down the button before you ‘plug in’ the plug to AC power. Then you then wait for the blue light to turn on and release the button; it should then start the join process. At least that’s how i recall mine working. Then you have to re-do the Z-Wave pairing (which can be re-done if need be without affecting the Zigbee setting).

How are you all somehow getting it to search for a random device? The only way I can see is when you go to add a device, it makes you select what kind of device it is. And just guessing doesn’t seem to get it to recognize.
I think I fooled it into getting the Zigbee part right. I had to pick a plug type, so I chose Centralite. Then it added it. I don’t think it used the custom handler. But it seems to work. In the device details under manufacturer it shows “centralite”. I changed the Type so it shows up local. It has a Zigbee ID.
But not how do I get the ZWave part to connect? When I go to add a device, I chose “Outlet” and then I have to pick something to get it to start searching. I chose “SmartThings” and it finds nothing.
I have a hard time following the directions because I think the app has been much updated since the instructions were posted.

Well, I guess I figured out it doesn’t matter much what you select. I picked CentraLite and it found both.
At the moment, it shows up in the Device List on the web portal and in the phone app. However, the phone app only shows “Checking status…” for both the Zigbee device and the ZWave repeater. As a curiosity, I changed the label / name in the web portal and refreshed the app. It shows the new name in the app.
The web portal also shows both devices as “Online”, but it seems like the app can’t figure out the status.
Any ideas?

Are you trying to use the new SmartThings Connect app? It isn’t ready yet… the SmartThings Classic app is still the appropriate app to use. The instructions should match up once you are using the right app.

Thank you. Somehow I didn’t get notification of your reply.

‘failed to update mesh’ errors were exactly what I was getting. The failed ones are all farther from the hub, Looks like problem with making hops.

I just noticed that none of the z-wave repeaters were repeating because if I move any of the plug out of the range of the hub, the plug’s z-wave device handler shows unreachable.

I ran a repair again from the hub and now all the z-wave repeaters show errors as either “failed to update route” or “failed to update mesh info”

Are the plugs all busted? Or there is anything I can do to fix this?

Did you ever get a ‘clean’ run with Z-Wave repair with all plugs in range to verify that they all work? How many plugs are you dealing with? I only had a half dozen Iris plugs and another dozen or so Z-Wave devices and found when I relocated the plugs that I needed to run repair a couple of times before I got a run without errors. I also had a bad plug that I eventually reset and gave up on (the Zigbee side works fine).

I removed all the plugs (4 total) from the z-wave network, and then added them back. Once this is done, I got an “almost” clean z-wave repair run: None of the plugs report error but I have an unknown device which failed to update mesh info (btw, is there a way to remove that known device from my hub?) However, once I move the plugs to their own locations, each plug would fail to update mesh info/route. And the same errors would occur even I moved them back to 1 ft of the hub.

Strange. Just thinking out loud here; I have about the same number but my house is fairly small with sheetrock walls so no issues due to RF propagation. Are there final locations very far apart? What is the construction material separating them (a buddy of mine has a house built in 1952; what they called sheetrock in those days was a material more like concrete than anything I’ve ever seen. I burned up two mult-tool blades trying to cut a new outlet opening). Anything electrical (like an intercom) that would cause interference at 900mhz?

But putting all that aside, the fact that you get errors when they are moved back, close to your hub means something else is going on. It has often been pointed out that the repair can take hours to complete (a lot of information gets exchanged, sometimes involving devices that may be sleeping for a round or two of repairs; that’s why repairs are often done multiple times). I have fewer than 20 Z-Wave devices and a fairly idle network (traffic during a Z-Wave repair is also detrimental to the process). If you have other Z-Wave repeaters, maybe the whole network just needs time to stabilize.

If you can get back to the configuration where all plugs have been added near the hub and are controllable, just try moving one thing at a time (for basic controllability you shouldn’t need to do a Z-Wave repair after each new addition if the device is added in its final resting place; only to optimize when they get relocated afterward. If the final resting place is more than 1 hop from where you initially paired it, then you might need to do a repair in order to control it after the move). Maybe by taking it one step at a time you can pinpoint when things start to go south. It’s possible one bad device in the mix is fouling things up.

There are other threads discussing the ‘ghost’ devices; from what I recall if the ID in the log messing is 00 then its not a concern; but if it is a non-zero number it might cause issues. That said, I have had a non-zero ghost device ID that doesn’t seem to be causing problems. There are some suggested methods for removing it (like creating a virtual device, changing its ID to the ghost number, then deleteing it; that never worked for me). Support can be helpful in removing these from the cloud side.

I reset the z-wave repeaters again, and it seems like even I don’t move them at all they seem to lose connection after a few minutes on their own.

I didn’t buy the plugs at the same time, hard to imagine they all defective in the same way. There’s almost no info I can make use of to debug. Very frustrating.

1 Like

Just to make sure I understand you, did you try including a single plug, then by doing a Z-Wave repair you saw that it produced a failure message (without any of the other new plugs included)? So not even a single plug worked or did the failures manifest when several were added. Do you have other z-wave repeaters in your setup (maybe one of them is causing the problem). Without any kind of analysis tools its kind of a crapshoot to diagnose.

Though it is tedious, adding just one, and waiting for a while for the network to stabilize and run clean (even overnight) before adding another might be the only way of approaching this if there is more than one defective device. Like I said, the Iris forum discussion talked of a bad batch of Z-Wave hardware in some of the early lots. Its possible you might have one or more of those.

Still fighting this thing. Seems nothing I try is getting the Z-Wave repeater to work. Would a serial number help one of you guide me? 105171205236. It says Z-wave plus on it. Got it in June.

@kahilzinger
Have you tried this DTH?

When I used the DTHs that included diagnostics, the Z-wave repeater would appear to go offline all the time, because it didn’t refresh with the hub frequently enough or something like that. However, it was working fine even though it appeared offline. Still, I didn’t like that it kept showing offline. When I switched to jhamstead’s generic Z-wave repeater DTH, that fixed the problem, because it forces a refresh more frequently.

That is the one I am using.

Are you sure your not to far from another repeater or the hub? I have found the range on mine to be horrible. If my hub was in the basement the plug had to be on 1st floor directly above the hub, otherwise I would lose connection.

I have one on the back of my house. This one is on the detached garage across the backyard behind it…about 25-30 feet line of site.

That is probably to far if your going through walls.

Just a heads up, these are down in price to around $9.50/each at MANY Lowe’s stores nationwide! I just grabbed 8 of them with a $10 off $50 coupon! GREAT deals on other IRIS sensor as well, go check your local stores for stock before they are gone! :slight_smile:

3 Likes