[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

I don’t think the z-wave portion of this is actually working. I think possibly it could could work if a proper device handler was made for it, and we all weren’t using the “default z-wave device”? When I check status in the IDE it’s clearly not communicating lol. Thoughts? I mainly only needed this as a zigbee repeater for a out door cree bulb. It’s literally plugged in a room with nothing attached to it LOL.

@krlaframboise , do you think a custom Device Handler for the z-wave portion of this would get the z-wave repeater working? I assume since no activity seems to show up, it’s not actually working. Is there someway to tell if this device is actually repeating z-wave?

I haven’t read any of this topic so I could be completely wrong, but it was my understanding that a device can only pair as a zwave or zigbee device, not both. I was also under the impression that a device needs to be included in the SmartThings zwave network in order for it to act as a repeater.

Assuming I’m correct then you can either pair it as a zigbee device and be able to control the outlet or pair it as a zwave device and get the repeating functionality.

I’ve checked the manual and it says that it can only be controlled using zigbee so if it’s paired as zwave you’ll get the repeating functionality, but that’s it.

When we pair this thing it first pairs as a zigbee and that controls the outlet. Then if we go back into pairing and flick it on and off a couple times is pairs as a z-wave device, but doesn’t actually appear to serve any function as a z-wave device. So I was wondering if it was appearing as a dummy z-wave device because of the lack of a proper device handler for the z-wave portion?

That’s cool, I didn’t know you could do that.

The device doesn’t support the zwave command classes needed to interact with it so a new device handler won’t help.

The device handler has nothing to do with the repeater functionality for zigbee or zwave so it should be acting as a repeater for whichever protocols it’s paired with, but if it’s not, I don’t think that can be fixed in the device handler either.

1 Like

It’s too bad because it’s z-wave plus as listed on the back of the plug!

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1492/classes

“The IRIS Smart Plug is an affordable way to add automation and track the energy use of your home while acting as a repeater for other ZigBee and Z-Wave devices.”

So it SHOULD work…in theory I guess?

Also note the “and” so it would seem there is intent to have both working simultaneously.

I can’t vouch for the repeater effectiveness (haven’t had any mesh problems to speak of) but the Z-Wave part of this device does participate in a Z-Wave repair. I noticed this when I ran a repair with one of my devices unplugged and got ‘failure to update mesh’ and ‘failure to update route’ messages logged for the device in question. Plugging it back in and re-running repair got rid of the failure messages. I also noticed that the on/off state of the zigbee controlled outlet had no effect on the repair (it just had to be plugged in, not switched on).

1 Like

The other thing is that when running a Z-Wave repair there is no error on the repeater node. Tome that says it’s part of the network. If it’s effective or not, I don’t know. And this is from the conformance document http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1492/embedpics

Product Identifier: 3210-L
Brand Name: IRIS
Product Version: 01
Z-Wave Certification #: ZC10-16040001
Z-Wave Product Information
Supports Z-Wave Beaming Technology? Yes
Supports Z-Wave Network Security? Yes
Supports Z-Wave AES-128 Security? No
Z-Wave Technical Information
Z-Wave Frequency: U.S./Canada/Mexico
Z-Wave Product ID: 0x0001
Z-Wave Product Type: 0x0001
Z-Wave Hardware Platform: ZM5202
Z-Wave Development Kit Version: 6.51.06
Z-Wave Library Type: Enhanced 232 Slave
Z-Wave Device Type / Role Type: Repeater / Always On Slave
Association Group Information
Group # / MaxNodes Description
1 / 5 Z-Wave Plus Lifeline
Supported Command Classes (7):
Association
Association Group Information
Device Reset
Local Manufacturer Specific
Powerlevel
Version
ZWavePlus Info

I am having a strange problem. I have a number of these IRIS Smart Plugs all working and one with the repeater turned on. I went today to turn another repeater on. The Plug is already paired and working. I held the button in to start pairing to find the repeater, the light started to blink but repeater not found. I went back into the IDE and pointed the device to the original IRIS code from the top post. Tried again no luck. Moved the device near the hub tried again no luck. My questions are will using a MiniMote help getting it to pair with the repeater? If yes do I just put it into pairing mode and press the + button on the Minimote? If not how do I turn the repeater on?

The repeater is paired by hitting the button 8 times very fast, holding it in will just reset the zigbee pairing I believe. So if you are still at the blinking, have ST find devices, nothing should happen, but it will reassociate in the background. Then stop the pairing process after 30 seconds or so. Restart it again and hit the button 8 times. Then it should find the z-wave repeater.

You shouldn’t have to mess with anything in the IDE device or SA or DHT wise if everything is working. The zwave repeater pairs to the default repeater device type.

I used Z-Wave utilities and excluded it, but the strangest thing happened… This outlet that now has the repeater working is in the garage. I have another in the Kitchen that the repeater was working until I excluded the one in the garage. Now the one in the kitchen the repeater doesn’t show in the app. How can I exclude the garage and the kitchen is excluded?

UPDATE: Ran the inclusion for the Kitchen and it found the Z-Wave Device. Why it was excluded when I installed the Garage Repeater is another SmartThing Mystery.

1 Like

@blebson would it be possible to have current power draw displayed in the ST tile in the room view like the HEM and Aeon plugs do? I don’t want to just modify it, would like to keep the GitHub integration. Just showing On/Off seems like a missed opportunity. And it only took me months to realize this! :slight_smile:

Dumb question… What does it mean “if you want the plug to run locally?”

Thanks!

If you use the ST smart power outlet device handler and use the smart lighting app, the automation will run even without the internet (no cloud processing).

Thanks Ricci, I’m so new to this my head is still spinning a bit :slight_smile:

I definitely would like my stuff to optionally run without the cloud processing. Is there anywhere to read more up on that? I’m not familiar with the smart lighting app. Thanks!

Smart lights is in the ST recommends section in the marketplace under smart apps or under lights and switches. When installed it will be called smart lighting. It is pretty straightforward.

A little on local processing

This wiki will get you what is being processed locally.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

I have tried several versions of the instructions listed in this thread, and no matter what I do I cannot get this Smart Plug to be seen as anything other than “Thing” in the Smartthings app when adding a new device.

When I add the device as it’s default “Thing” assignment, the status remains as “Please Wait.” The icon for the device is the Smartthings multicolor circle logo, and I cannot install SmartApps for it because, I assume, it does not know what kind of a thing it is.

Does anyone know how I can get it to detect the device as “Iris Smart Plug”? Is there something I need to do in the SmartThings IDE besides click “Save” and “Publish” after copying and pasting the raw Github code?

Luke, try logging into the IDE. Go to “my devices”, find your iris plug (probably will be named “thing”), click “edit”, under “type” change it to iris smart plug or smart power outlet

One of the hub updates a couple of weeks ago messed up the pairing process so if you haven’t pulled the batteries and unplugged it for about 15 seconds within the last few weeks, I recommend trying that.