[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

Ah okay, I thought you meant that the Smart Power Outlet had some reporting options as well. Is there a way to do power consumption over a time period? It seems to just keep on accumulating.

There are methods to collect and graph data. I use this one:

I just added 2 of these to my network and am having some issues if anyone wants to help. I believe Iā€™ve set them up properlyā€¦I added the DH from the first post, plugged them in and searched. It found the ā€œoutletā€ and I can control it and see wattage. Then I added the Z-wave repeater portion by clicking the button 8 times (holding down didnā€™t work on mine) and searched. My hub found a new Z-wave repeater (I think thatā€™s what it was called?). Great. So now I wanted to make sure both my zigbee and Zwave meshes were optimized, so I addressed the zigbee mesh first. Unplug hub and remove batteries for 15 minutes. Next I tried to heal the Z Wave network, but I got errors for both of the Z-Wave repeaters:

Network repair for [device name or ID]: Failed to update mesh info

and

Network repair for [device name or ID]: Could not find route

• I can still control the outlets via smarthome app fine
  • I donā€™t know if my zigbee devices are using the repeaters
  • I donā€™t know if my z wave devices are using the repeaters

So, please any advice?

Maybe this is a dumb question but how do you see the energy usage? I see what my plug is currently using but the ā€œEnergy Used:ā€ says null kwh. Any help? Thanks!

Hit reset and it will start working.

Bump :slight_smile: :slight_smile: any help on questions 2 posts up?

For some reason, itā€™s tough to easily map out ZigBee and Z-Wave networks. For most people, if things are working and there arenā€™t any issues, why worry about it? But, you can check out this thread for further information on meshes.

Iā€™ve got one of these outside and itā€™s working great, in -17 degreeā€™s! Centralite made these things solid!

So I got my iris plug today. Itā€™s working well, but I canā€™t get the z wave repeater function to initialize, or be recognized as a z wave repeater in the list of things. Is there a trick?

Thanks

Plug it in and then very rapidly press the On button 8 times. It should then go into z-wave pairing mode and pair as a generic z-wave device.

thanks.

After repeatedly trying, I finally got it.

Anyway in Live logging, devices, etc. to verify the Z wave repeaters are working properly?

Wanted to say thanks to this thread.
Iā€™m switching from IRIS to ST, and am quite pleased with the switch over so far.
Had 2 Iris Smart Plugs now running on my ST Network, and grouped via my Amazon Eco to turn on / off interior Christmasā€™ lights.

So yea I can now say ā€œAlexa, Turn on Christmasā€ or ā€œAlexa, Turn off Christmasā€ :smiley:

That is awesome to hear. I just put some lights out on the yard and I wanted to control it but I couldnā€™t find anywhere on the box or literature that says if it was made for the outdoor if can withstand the cold MN weather.

Going to give it a shot for tomorrow night.

I finally got it working after struggling for half an hour. The problem was on my IDE, you have to make sure you select your location and then add device handler.

• Go here first https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com/
  • Select your location
  • Click on device handler
  • Add new
  • From code
  • Copy paste code from https://github.com/blebson/Iris-Smart-Plug/blob/master/devicetypes/blebson/iris-smart-plug.src/iris-smart-plug.groovy
  • Go to ST app on mobile phone
  • Add new device
  • Press button the plug and insert into outlet
  • As soon as light comes on, let go the button
  • On the app, it should come up as Outlet
  • Save new paired device
    Now to pair up Z-Wave mode
  • Take outlet and insert it right next to the hub (not sure if it is needed)
  • Press exactly 8 times (have to try few times) till it goes into pairing mode (2 blinks, every seconds)
  • On ST app, add new device, wait, it should show up as Z-Wave device
  • If it does not work, try again, I was able to get it setup 2 of my plus with couple of tries

Thanks everyone for your inputs

2 Likes

Great summary of the steps.
One qn on the Zwave repeater. It has been said multiple times that the Z-wave repeater is not working as expected or the results are not seen. Do you have some thoughts on that? Or were somebody able to confirm it? I lost track of this thread as i coming back after long time :(.

Appreciate the help

Iā€™m not sure if any definitive answer was found. There is no good way to determine if the repeater is being used in the mesh or not.

I really appreciate these explicit directions! They helped quite a bit. One thing I found was that neither holding the button down NOR the 8 button presses worked with my plug for the z-wave repeater pairing. I had to hold the button down and when it turned solid blue after plugging in, press it like 4 times really quickly. This is what set mine into pairing mode and allowed the z-wave repeater to show up.

I got the Iris to pair both times. Few questionsā€¦ It seems the Zwave ā€œthingā€ in the app does not control the plug (turn the device on/off). The Zigbee ā€œthingā€ does. WhenI have the outlet turned off through the Zigbee device, does it still act as a repeater, or does it shut off that functionality? How can I get the Zwave device to control the outlet so that the Zigbee device always stays On to act as a repeater?

The jury is still out as to whether the Z-Wave repeaters really work but having some weird Z-Wave issues since the last hub update I decided to remove them all and rebuild the network. With over 40 SmartPlugs, and knowing Z-Wave performance suffers on larger networks it was the next logical step.

I havenā€™t seen any improvement since removing them, but also, Z-Wave coverage hasnā€™t been impacted either. My best guess is that they do not contribute to the networkā€¦

1 Like