[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

Could this be opened up and using hardware inside, connected to work like a wall light switch?

Aside from the possible electrical concerns this poses, why would you want to do that?

1 Like

Cheap ZigBee switch with power monitoring. I opened it up and it is possible with some soldering modification.

1 Like

So youā€™ll just wire a momentary switch to it and leave it in its enclosure at an outlet? Or gut it and put it in a wall box? Iā€™d really be cautious of the latterā€¦

1 Like

A grabbed a couple of these last night at Lowes and they seem to work great. They are my first Zigbee smart plugs (my house is mostly zwave -came from Vera) and I noticed these donā€™t update the controller when they are manually controlled with the button on the plug. Iā€™m only 10 days in to ST but there a polling interval that needs to be set to refresh the power status? My zwave plugs immediately update if I push the button. After 60 seconds or so the ST app is still not updating the status of these Iris plugs. I realize itā€™s not a normal use case to push the button to toggle (I plan to control remotely) but just wanted to ask.

Still not sure why youā€™d do that - The Smartest House has sales on the single/dual relays and on some Zooz switches that make modifying the Lowes SmartPlug not worth the effort IMO.

I tried using both Smart Power and Smart Power v1 and didnā€™t see power reporting on either. Iā€™m curious as to which one people are using for the iris plugs. I went back to using the Iris Smart Plug DH (donā€™t remember who developed it, but it might be mentioned in this thread) and once I reset each plug, power reporting started working.

I use blebsonā€™s Iris Smart Plug DHT, allows reporting interval minimum and maximums. I have mine set to 15 second min and 300 second max. Works great for my graphing.

That did the trick. With @blebsonā€™s DH, I can now see power usage and the device status updates instantly when I manually push the button on the Iris plug, despite the refresh setting. Very cool. There is now a little bit of lag due to the cloud-based Device Handler but itā€™s minimal. Thanks!

1 Like

The Smart Power Outlet also updates the status immediately. I just tested it. Yours probably had some issue in the configuration that got fixed when you installed the other device handler. If you switch back now I bet it will still work OK. You can do it if you donā€™t care about the energy usage and want local execution.

Thanks! Iā€™ll give this a try tonight if Iā€™m not in a turkey coma.

Can this be only a Zigbee OR zwave repeater?
It canā€™t be both, correct?

Both. ZigBee by itā€™s nature, it is a ZigBee power outlet obviously. Then zwave if you include that portion into your setup.

Brand new to ST and just got 2 of the Iris outlets. Hate to be the one to ask the dumb questions, I apologize.

I got them both set up with the help of this thread and a youtube video. I very much appreciate this community. They currently control my christmas trees On/Off via google home and smart things.

Now, in the original post what do you mean by " If you want to have this plug run locally, go into your IDE and switch the devicetype for the plug to the ā€˜SmartPower Outletā€™ devicetype."?

What is a Z-wave repeater? I think I know what a repeater is but why would I need it? Or letā€™s say I have one of these outlets near the front of my house and the wifi router is in the back. Then say I want to put a motion sensor on my front porch. Would the outlet help get the wifi signal to to motion sensor if itā€™s too far from the router???

Thanks for your help.

To the first question, if you set to the smartpower outlet, the ST hub can run Smart Lighting actions with it LOCALLY, so itā€™s not sending requests to the cloud, works if internet goes down for example.

To the second question, if you have z-wave (or zigbee) devices, they use a mesh style network. Repeaters allow a stronger signal farther from other z-wave devices. So if your hub is on one side of a 2000sq/ft house, the signal probably wonā€™t work well or at all on the other side with either device type. Putting a smart outlet like this in the middle, extends the network.

Thank you. So, would going through the steps to enable the repeater function undo what Iā€™ve already set up?

No, if you do a z-wave rebuild in the IDE Hub menu, it will redetect all the possible routes with the newly added repeater(s) and make your mesh stronger in theory. Itā€™s all transparent to you, no worries about breaking anything in that regard.

thank you again. Sorry to ask but to be clear is a rebuild in the IDE hub the same as the instructions on the first post of this thread? The part where it says to go in the app and search for Things and then press the button on the iris 8 times rapidly?

Thanks for your post. I followed your directions, but what was discovered was a Z-Wave Repeater and a ā€œThing.ā€ The ā€œThingā€ says ā€œPlease waitā€¦ā€ indefinitely. I end up deleting it and trying again, but with the same results. Any ideas?

Let it pair as a thing and then go into IDE and change it to either the smart power outlet DTH or the custom DTH.

1 Like