[OBSOLETE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater

I had that failure on a number of them and removed them to avoid mesh issues. Things noticeably improved. The ones not giving that error are probably (maybe?) working.

##Post Update:

The OP has been updated to reflect that the custom DTH is now optional. SmartThings will now (and has for months) natively pair with the Iris Smart Plug.

1 Like

Anyone got native pairing to work on this 3210-L? I’ve tried two plugs and neither seems to pair properly
 Shows up but forever states “please wait” after installing. Only way I can get it to work is by installing the DTH from first post.

I just set up 4 last night and it is buried in the thread somewhere. You can change the device type in the IDE to SmartPower Outlet. Another thing, I had to cycle on and off the plug in the ST app to “resync” it after doing the zwave inclusion.

I had the same problem (“Please wait”) with native pairing attempt just now, but noticed the device type in IDE was strange (“Samsung TV” or some such nonsense). After changing that to Zigbee Switch, it now seems to work fine.

Bought 3 of these plugs, all will pair immediately as Z-Wave Device. However, can’t turn them on or off via the app.

Did you also pair them as a Zigbee device? The switch part is Zigbee, the Z-wave part acts only as a repeater.

That’s the problem I’m having. I can’t ever get them to pair as Zigbee, only z-wave.

So, plugging them while holding the On button doesn’t put it in pairing mode? Usually, you have to let go of that button as soon as it’s plugged in. That will put it in pairing mode and SmartThings should be able to connect with it. You should also do this within a few feet from the hub.

That’s how I’m doing it; holding the button while plugging in and then releasing the button as soon as the light comes on. It’s within about 4 feet of my hub. Always shows up in app as Z-Wave Device. I have the DTH added and published. I’ve removed and reset many, many times.

OK, just so that we’re clear, you should see two devices added to your SmartThings list, one is a Z-wave repeater that has “On” and “Off” buttons but they don’t do anything that I can tell, then there should be another device that actually turns the switch on and off. Did you look under the “Add a Thing” to see if there is another device to be configured?

I only see one device listed when I pair. It shows up as “Z-Wave Device”. There is no second device type.

Are you using the custom DTH? Try removing the custom DTH from your IDE if that’s what you’re using and see if the stock DTH will get added. Although there should be nothing wrong is using the custom DTH, that is what I’m using. It’s strange that the Z-Wave part is added so easily, for most, adding the Z-Wave repeater part was difficult because you have to repeatedly press that button like 8 times as you plug it in.

I’m new to SmartThings, so when i first paired the smart plug and saw “Thing” that didn’t work but said “please wait” i thought the native support didn’t work so I logged into the IDE and created the DTH and published it but it still didn’t work, because I wasn’t logged into my hub via the IDE correctly. I figured out how to get into the IDE correctly (graph.api.smartthings.com/login/auth then once logged in click locations and choose my location and login again) to get on the correct Server maybe? I was then able to figure out what GeorgeH said and find the “Thing” in my device list that was my iris smart plug that wasn’t working, when i clicked that name and chose edit, i could change the device type to “SmartPower Outlet” so it would be available offline as the initial post said. And as GeorgeH said it worked fine after that. I ended up changing the device type to “ZigBee Switch Power” because I wasn’t getting the power reading with the other setting.

From what I can tell native pairing does not work. Sure it might if you go and change the device type (didn’t work for me) but if that is required I wouldn’t call it native pairing. The original post in this thread should be updated to reflect that native pairing is not working and you’ll need to install the device handler.

I have 37 of these currently connected to SmartThings using a modified version of this DTH. The process I use to connect these works virtually every time.

1. Plug in the SmartPlug while holding down the button. (Do this for new in box plugs too)

2. Once the blue light comes on, releases the button. The plug should be blinking 3 times.

3. Rapidly press the button 8 times. The light should alternate between a slow 3 blink sequence and a rapid 2 blink sequence.

4. Begin the pairing process in SmartThings.

5. Within 30-60 seconds two devices should appear in the discovered devices list; “Iris Smart Plug” and “Z-Wave Device”

If the repeater shows as OFF it likely is not functioning properly. Remove and re-pair those devices.

I have 6 more of these coming online for Christmas in the next week and will continue using this process.

4 Likes

I just updated my second location’s hub from v1 to v2 last night so I had the pleasure of redoing the whole system do to the lack of promised migration tool. Anyway, I have a couple of these that I use. I did not use a custom setup, I just held the button down and plugged it in. Paired it with the hub. It shows up as a Thing. I then logged in to IDE and changed the type of device to smartplug and everything works fine.

Just picked up 2 of these from Lowe’s this morning for $16.46 a piece (Currently on sale for $23.30 but used a $15 off $50 coupon with $3 cable ties as a filler :smile: 
utilized pairing instructions from @SteveWhite above
worked perfectly for both zigbee & z-wave. Since I didn’t add a custom DTH, I only had to login to IDE & change to Smart Power Outlet Device to complete the process.
Seems to have a pretty good range. Debating over grabbing a few more.

I do have one question, what is the difference between Smart Power Outlet & Smart Power Outlet v1? Looks like v1 removes the power reporting according to the IDE???

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve tried with and without the DTH. I have a very early v1 Hub, could that be the problem? I went ahead and ordered a v2 Hub. I don’t have any other zigbee devices to compare and see if they work either, so wondering if it’s a problem with the Hub.

Yes, I guess that could be a possibility, I have a v2 hub. It is unlikely that all 3 of your devices would be defective.
I’m sorry but I don’t have any other suggestions that you could try except to contact support and see if they can help from their end. Maybe there is a firmware upgrade that your v1 hub somehow missed.

The current $50 for a v2 hub is a great price. Just keep in mind that you’ll have to migrate everything over manually. Unfortunately, there are no migration tools.

1 Like