*** No longer supported *** [OBSOLETE] Introducing ScheduleTstatZones: multi zoned heating/cooling solution for your home

@yvesracine As I mentioned in another thread, I’ve got a few questions on if this app will work with my use case. I assume yes, but would like to be sure before making the investment.

My primary source of heating/cooling will come from a Daikin split system and uses this DTH . My secondary source of heating is electric baseboard which will be controlled through 15 Sinope Zigbee thermostats.

Here are my questions:
1: Does the app support primary and secondary heating sources? I’d like it to function similar to a ducted heat pump with electric backup. Once the exterior temperature hits a point that’s below it’s efficiency rating turn on the electric. Ideally I’d like to have only the split providing heat to the main area unless it’s below temperature X which will then turn on the baseboards. I assume this might be possible using the moreHeatThreshold?

2: We have cathedral ceilings and would like to control the ceiling fan while heating to push the hot air at the ceiling down. Something like when heating, set ceiling fan to clockwise and low. When cooling set ceiling fan to counter clockwise and medium. You mention ability to control “a Big Fan”, would this do what I’m looking for? I could always do that in webcore, I just figure ceiling fans can be a big part in heating/cooling homes so it may already be built in.

3: Can motion sensors be excluded while in away mode? I don’t want the dog turning up the heating/cooling while he’s roaming around the house during the day while we’re at work.

4: Someone way back asked about seasonal temperature thresholds. Was something like this ever implemented? Summer and winter it’s really just heat/cool, but spring and fall we get into lots of temperature swings. This morning it was 4C and this afternoon it’s 22C. When I got up this morning, my split was pushing out heat and the house was up to 24 degrees and this afternoon it’s pushing out AC and the house is sitting at 17. All while on “auto” set at 20C. What I’ve found myself doing is cracking a window which forces it to turn off and then the house stays at a comfortable temperature on it’s own. Having seasonal options would be helpful. Either by having separate thresholds, or an option that would allow us to turn the system off if temperature is set to 20 degrees and the exterior temperature is within X number of degrees of the set temp.

Hi, here are my answers to your questions. I’m afraid that my smartapp cannot implement all your use cases as they are quite specific to your configuration…

1: Yes, but not the way you describe it.

All your Sinope thermostats would be considered as slave thermostats to Dailkin split system (master).

The slave tstats would then synchronize their mode and heating/cooling setpoints with the master. You can use the virtual zone devices to add a delta temp (+/-) to make a zone cooler or hotter if you have colder/hotter rooms. A zone is composed of 1 to many rooms.

The moreHeatThreshold is used to increase the heatingSetpoint if the outside temperature reaches a configurable threshold. It would affect the master’s heatingSetpoint and by ricochet, all the slave thermostats linked to the master.

2: The zoning smartapp can automatically set the right fan speed based on the temp differential in the scheduled zones. The smartapp would modulate the fan speed according to the max temp differiential allowed for the zone. If the temp differential is big (i.e. equal or greater than your own defined threshold), the fan speed would be set to high, otherwise medium or low if the temp differential is small compared to your threshold.

After checking your Dailkin DTH, I must add that yours is not compatible with my logic as the author has not implemented the required fanHigh(), fanMedium(), and fanLow() commands…

3: Usually, motion sensors can be configured to not take into account an animal in the house. Regardless of your ST location mode (Home or Away), all motion sensors are used to toggle the thermostat’s mode…The only exception is at night, where all rooms are considered occupied regardless of the input of all motion sensors.

In brief, there is no way to exclude the motion sensors when the ST hello mode is Away. The smartapp uses the motion sensors to detect if somebody is returning home after an absence.

4: The smartapp can switch between the cool/heat/auto modes based on heat/cool thresholds.

Note: The smartapp would not turn off the master tstat based on some thresholds though.

In my smartapps, I usually avoid switching the master tstat to off as in the major parts of the US and Canada, turning off a master tstat could lead to pipe bursting in the winter and mould in the summer. It’s a safety issue: SmartThings is not the most reliable platform and any scheduling issue or outages could lead to problems.

But,my smartapp can turn off or set all slave thermostats to eco or Away when they are not part of the scheduled zones (ex. heat/cool only the upstairs bedrooms at night, and all other slave tstats in other rooms would be turned off).

However, my smartapp can set any compatible master thermostat to Away or Home if it supports presence (such as the ecobee) .

But, I check your Dailkin DTH, and it doesn’t support the required away() or home() (present) methods.

Regards.

FALL FLASH SALE!

For a limited time, save up to 40%!*

All Ecovent products are 25% OFF
Use code: FALLFLASH25

Keen Home Smart Vents are 30% OFF
Use code: FALLFLASH30

Keen Smart Bridges are 35% OFF
Use code: FALLFLASH35

Keen Smart Filters are 40 % OFF
Use code: FALLFLASH40

Hi,

Just to let my contributors know and all ST users who would like to do targeted heating/cooling in their home that I have new versions of my zoned Heating/Cooling smartapps available at my store :

• I made the following optimization to ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (v8.8), ScheduleTstatZones (v8.8), and ScheduleRoomTempControl (v4.6) :
    • Optimized setVentSwitchLevel() to avoid sending multiple setLevel command to the vents if their current level is already within range of the target level in order to reduce noise.

For more details about the all use cases supported, refer to ST community wiki:

EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (for the main ecobee thermostat only - with some optional smart vents)

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule#Look_.26_Feel

P.S. EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule has a tight integration with My Ecobee device.

ScheduleTstatZones (for any ST connected main thermostat like the Nest, Honeywell, etc. - with some optional smart vents)

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones#Look_.26_Feel

ScheduleRoomTempControl (for any ST connected main thermostat with smart vents).

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl#Look_.26_Feel

P.S. For all ST users who have contributed to my support packages, the update has been done for you under your ST account (provided that I have your credentials), you don’t need to do anything: everything has been taken care of.

You can download the new version at my store using the original sellfy link.

The new code is available at my store.

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards.

Hi,

Just to let my contributors know and all ST users who would like to do targeted heating/cooling in their home that I have new version of my zoned Heating/Cooling smartapp available at my store :

• I corrected the following minor issues in ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (v8.8.2), ScheduleTstatZones (v8.8.1) and ScheduleRoomTempControl (v4.6.1):
    • Made some changes to the icons path following some security changes in iOS/Android ST classic mobile app*.

EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (for the main ecobee thermostat only - with some optional smart vents)

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeSetZoneWithSchedule#Look_.26_Feel

ScheduleTstatZones (for any ST connected main thermostat like the Nest, Honeywell, etc. - with some optional smart vents)

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones#Look_.26_Feel

ScheduleRoomTempControl (for any ST connected main thermostat with smart vents).

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl#Look_.26_Feel

P.S. For all ST users who have contributed to my support packages, the update has been done for you under your ST account (provided that I have your credentials), you don’t need to do anything: everything has been taken care of.

Regards

Hi,

Just to let my contributors know and all ST users who would like to do targeted heating/cooling in their home that I have new version of my zoned Heating/Cooling smartapp available at my store :

• I corrected the following minor issues in ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (v8.8.5), ScheduleTstatZones (v8.8.4) and ScheduleRoomTempControl (v4.6.3):
    • Made further changes to the icons path in MyVirtualZone v1.2.1 to display them in the latest version of ST classic mobile app (v1.18 and higher).
    • Corrected set_fan_mode() in ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule & ScheduleTstatZones to override fan settings when a condition such as the temp differential in the zone is over a temp delta threshold (ex. 4F) and also when no conditions are applied for the schedule

I’ve updated to this latest version and now I can’t modify the smartapp. I’m using this with Flair vents and when I get to the final page it keeps generating:

java.lang.NumberFormatException @line 5311 (setVentSwitchLevel)

I’m not seeing anything out of the ordinary in the setup, but can’t seem to get around it. Suggestions?

Hi,

Very strange that you have a null value in currentLevel… And, it happens only with Flair vents as another contributor reported the same issue to me.

It looks like the Flair APIs are returning null values where it shouldn’t ever. Maybe, there is some kind of latency issue with the Flair servers.

Anyway, please download the latest version (v8.8.6) of ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule using your sellfy download link, I’ve implemented a workaround.

Regards.

I think I may have found a clue. The Ecobee integration appears not to be properly refreshing tokens. I noticed this as some of my WebCore pistons started failing. After clearing the auth and re-entering it that app started working again. So, thought maybe the same issue is happening with the FlairManager, unfortunately I can’t clear the auth there as clicking the blue text generates a “bad token” error and does not allow me to re-login.

Hi, you’d need to force delete the Flair devices and restart from scratch the installation to create new Flair devices.

To do so, you may want to rename the old ones as old* and, after create new Flair devices with MyFlairServiceMgr. You’d need also to re-select the new ones in all your smartapps & routines.

After doing this, when no smartapps are assigned to the old Flair devices, you can force delete all old devices in the IDE and the old service manager smartapp.

That’s my solution for now as I cannot reproduce your issue at home. It looks like there is some data corruption and I don’t know if it’s a Flair or a Smarthings issue. To me, it looks more like a ST platform issue as both cloud-to-cloud integrations are affected (could be bad connections pool).

Regards

Without the work-around, removing the FlairServiceMgr (as you suggested) and re-adding solved the problem for about a day. Then I added the work around as errors started again. Now with the work around, every time a vent is attempted to be adjusted it generates "echobeeSetZoneWithSchedule>getCurrentVentLevel>Not able to get current vent level from ". So the work around doesn’t really work that well.

Additionally, there definitely appears to be a problem with the token refresh algorithms. Flair is generating:

refresh_tokens>warning: local tokens still expired after refresh_tokens() call

and ecoBee thermostat is generating:

isTokenExpired>auth token buffer time expired (5 min.), countdown is -2 minutes, need to refresh tokens now!

I can stop the second one, by re-entering my credentials but that only lasts about 12 hours.

I tried to send an email to the address you provided, but received this in response:

Your message wasn’t delivered to support@maisonsecomatiq.com because the address couldn’t be found, or is unable to receive mail.

550 5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try double-checking the recipient’s email address for typos or unnecessary spaces. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser w19sor230864ill.36 - gsmtp

Sorry, it’s services@maisonsecomatiq.com.

You’d need first to contribute to my support package ($20) at my store.

P. S. You understand that’s 2 cloud to cloud integrations and by such you’d need to follow all prerequisites and installation steps at the Readme (as indicated in the downloaded zip file).

Regards

Yes. The issue is that everything was working fine for quite some time, then I upgraded to the latest code. That’s when everything started failing.

Hi, I just checked all your Flair and ecobee devices under your ST account, and everything is working fine after the upgrade!

I don’t know why you’re saying that nothing works as your devices are responding to all commands, and there is no notifications or log entry that suggest that a problem had occurred in the past 3 days…

The messages that you posted above about the refresh tokens logic are sometimes issued but that doesn’t mean that you’ve lost your auth tokens.

As I have your credentials, I will monitor the situation, but for the moment, everything is working fine.
Regards.

Hi,

• I corrected the following minor issues in ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (v8.8.8), & ScheduleTstatZones (v8.8.7) :
    • Made some changes to better control the Flair vents when Switch value=off
    • Removed some logic related to room tstats to avoid conflict with the Virtual Zone’s setpoints

Regards

Hi,

• I corrected the following minor issues in ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule (v8.8.9), & ScheduleTstatZones (v8.8.9) :
    • Made some changes in setRoomTstatSettings & turn_off_room_tstats_outside_zones() to avoid any conflicts when the master tstat is also included in the rooms (as a slave thermostat) for the scheduled zones.

Regards

Very interesting issue. I went to set up my schedule and I dont see where to set up the day of the week. I set up my first tstat was able to enter the information in. went to do the second and it was not there. So I went back to my first one that I was successful on and it was missing from there also. What am I missing

Hi, I’ve already responded to you via email.

You have 2 zoning smartapps under your ST account :

1. ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule is exclusively designed for ecobee tstats and follows the ecobee schedules (so it doesn’t have day & times input values) ;

2. ScheduleTstatZones is for all ST connected thermostats and , as such, asks for day & time input values, as most ST connected tstats rely on ST for scheduling.

IF you have ecobee tstats, you should use ecobeeSetZoneWithSchedule as it has many more features for the ecobee.

Regards.

For those that are pondering getting this application, I give it 5 stars. Not only is it a good application the customer service is outstanding. I ran into a few issues and he worked with me to resolve them and he responded quickly. I was looking at other apps and actually tried a few after I already installed this and it was not a day and I went right back to this. Great work!

1 Like