[OBSOLETE] Insteon Hub 2244 and 2245 Dimmer and On/Off Plugs/Switches/Bulbs

With the changes coming to smartthings this app (which I really depend on) will no longer work.

I assume this will require a rewrite to be hosted on an amazon server or at my house

I will go on record and say this is the ONLY custom device i currently use and would GLADLY pay for something that will work.

For the developers - i assume you have seen this coming. Have you given any thought on how you will transition?

I Abandon ship! There’s a better path on the rise.

Not wanting to buy another hub if I was going that route I could do this with a raspberry

I was more wondering if the developers had a plan as this is only thing I couldn’t do without.

I get it. I didn’t enter into the decision lightly. I think there’s a big misconception still about what Hubitat is. Not trying to sell you, but I do want developers to be interested enough to want to come along. Many developers for ST have already joined and more are coming along by the day.

It runs on Groovy and that’s a significant incentive when you consider how it lowers the bar to porting apps and DH over. ALL of your automations can run without the cloud. Your lights don’t need the cloud, pico remotes don’t need an additional server, Hue integration doesn’t need the cloud, and Insteon could have the same benefit. Fast reaction and no cloud or internet outages will have an effect.

Yes, anyone can buy a PI and load HA or OH, but that’s comparatively a lot of work, and frankly near the same cost when you consider having to add Zigbee and Z-Wave support. Then consider that it’s entirely up to you and community when something doesn’t work, instead of a paid support team behind it.

I hear ya Doug. I am interested in whatever works that doesn’t require me to learn a lot of coding (I have cancer and a lot of my time is spent in hospital)

That’s the one benefit of Smarrthings. It was plug and play with groovy and almost everything else I had was supported out of the box.

I’m sorry to learn that Richard. You don’t need any added stress, that’s clear. I wish you strength in your fight.

1 Like

First off, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all their help! Special thanks to @idealerror and @kuestess for making this Device Handler. I am not having any problems, but I would like to ask about 2 lines showing up in the log, with the tag of ‘warn.’ I just want to make sure everything is fine. Here are the lines from the logs:

32d8c914-962a-4534-83c4-d760a5510967 4:43:57 PM: info Scheduled refresh of token in 15 seconds
32d8c914-962a-4534-83c4-d760a5510967 4:43:57 PM: warn postEventToEndpoint: Error while trying to post event back to Amazon groovyx.net.http.ResponseParseException: Accepted
32d8c914-962a-4534-83c4-d760a5510967 4:43:57 PM: debug Property Change Event level: 100 (source: DEVICE)
32d8c914-962a-4534-83c4-d760a5510967 4:43:57 PM: info Scheduled refresh of token in 15 seconds
32d8c914-962a-4534-83c4-d760a5510967 4:43:57 PM: warn postEventToEndpoint: Error while trying to post event back to Amazon groovyx.net.http.ResponseParseException: Accepted
32d8c914-962a-4534-83c4-d760a5510967 4:43:57 PM: debug Property Change Event switch: on (source: DEVICE)
d61d21db-94a2-40a1-a71e-2df961811998 4:43:57 PM: debug Command Completed

@RJSarratt Are you using the Insteon (Connect) smartapp or just the device handlers? The messages above appear to be related to refresh of an access token, but not anything coded in the the Insteon (Connect) smartapp.

Hoping someone can help. All of a sudden, my setup stopped working. No router changes or anything. I checked the IP of the hub, ports, stepped through each of the actions. Insteon hub / app turns lights on and off no problem. But in SmartThings, it’s stuck on “turning on/turning off.” I went into the Event Log, can someone help me decipher this?

error - groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Forbidden @line 124 (sendCmd)

UPDATE: I can get the local control to work just fine (with the old device handler), I think there’s a problem with my DNS host? So weird, though, it was working just fine for the longest time. I just tried creating a new host, and that’s not working either. Wondering if it’s a Netgear / No-IP Problem?

Having the same problem with the same exact error. Tried with straight IP address, no dice.

I did some digging and looks as a June 20th update broke API access for a lot of other 3rd party applications. The firmware is labeled 1016. Supposedly if you email support with your hub ID and account ID, they’ll push a rollback and everybody recommends blocking your hub from updating again.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=196335&page=7

Hey thanks for posting this! Save me a ton of time troubleshooting.

Hi all, I have SmartThings setup with a few monitoring devices. I have an ISY and purchased an Insteon Hub. What is the easiest way to make Insteon work with SmartThings?

@mfranzel You’re in the right place. The easiest way to integrate your Insteon stuff is by using the device handler linked in the first post. Should be fairly straightforward to set up, but let me know if you have problems.

I troubleshooted the dead Insteon issue today, and found that the problem is that the hub now requires https, which isn’t supported. By coincidence, Insteon happens to be updating the firmware to 1017 today to fix the issue! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Did this resolve the issue for you?

Yes, it did!

@kuestess Thanks for the hard work here. I’m using the device handler and ST’s Smart Lights SmartApp to mirror the settings of an Insteon switch with non-Insteon devices. The issue I’m facing is a lang time that occurs when an Insteon wall switch is manually toggled. The ST app sometimes takes 20-30 seconds to show a status change which means the SmartApp function is also delayed. The same is true with toggling the wall switch off, takes about 30 seconds for the other devices to power off. Is there any way around this? Are you familiar with IFTTT or Stringify delays, I imagine they’d produce a similar issue. Thanks again.

@supervsn The DTH only checks status every 3 minutes via the poll function. If you change the delay in runIn(180, refresh) to some shorter duration (180 is the poll frequency in seconds) that should update status quicker. Hope that helps.

I realize this is old thread but, I am attempting to add some existing Insteon devices to my smarthings. I have copied both DHLs, edited the password, login, IP (should it be local or Public, I used local 192.168) and then edited the individual devices, using the Insteon ID example 3A.3C.84 and entered as 3A3C84 as you did not have any.
I am not able to recognize any of the device, I obviously missed something. Can you help.

Jack