[RELEASE] Initial Setup for Ecobee3 & 4, Smart-SI, EMS, Smart-02 thermostats - My Ecobee Device

Thanks @jarettp will give the beta device type a try now.

Hi @slagle, @jotto, @jarettp, @dvanzuiden,@stvdano,@benmctee

FYI, after some testing on my end, I have observed the following facts:

(1) Before the peak of connection issues that we’re all experiencing with my custom Ecobee Device now, I had been able to correct any connection issues by re-authenticating with ecobee, and this action would “reset” the connection and any connection issues would disappear after.

(2) Now, even if I try to “reset” the connection by re-authenticating with ecobee, the connection issues stick. The only way is to uninstall the Service Manager and delete the device to create another one.

Also, since yesterday, somebody has pointed out to me that the ecobee’s access token expiration time is now expressed in seconds (not in minutes like before)…

This is a recent change that was implemented just yesterday:

https://www.ecobee.com/home/developer/api/documentation/v1/change-log.shtml

The change does not explain all the connection issues in the last week, but it explains the fact that I can no longer ‘reset’ the connection with ecobee since yesterday.

There may be also more rate limiting done either on the ST or the ecobee side that I’m not aware of.

I implemented more defensive coding into My Ecobee Device, MyEcobeeInit and ecobee3RemoteSensorInit to avoid connection issues in the future.

MyEcobee device at home has been now stable for a while, and hopefully it will work also for anybody
who uses it.

Please let me know of any issues, especially with ecobee3RemoteSensorInit as I cannot test
it at home (I do not have any ecobee3’s remote sensors).

So, in order to correct their current connection issues, ST users need to

(1) Remove My Ecobee device and any ecobee3’s remote sensors from all smartapps

(2) Uninstall MyEcobeeInit, ecobee3RemoteSensorInit

(3) Get the latest MyEcobeeDevice, MyEcobeeInit and ecobee3RemoteSensorInit code at my main branch:

(4) Re-execute MyEcobeeInit and ecobee3RemoteSensorInit

Regards.

Thanks Yves. Trying now.

I was just about to uninstall it all for now and buy Ecobee 3s to replace my Si’s and remove it from ST all together. Lets see how this one goes.

Probably 250 error messages today. Wife wasn’t happy; I’m sure many of you can relate

@stvdano, in all my smartapps, you can disable notifications by saying ‘no’ to the following question at the last page:

section("Notifications") {
		input "sendPushMessage", "enum", title: "Send a push notification?", metadata: [values: ["Yes", "No"]], required:
			false

Regards.

Yeah, I know… It’s not that i don’t want to know, its that I want it to work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Mine has been working with the beta I installed since yesterday. For now I’ll leave everything alone until that changes. Unless you’re saying that eventually this “seconds instead of minutes” thing is going to cause some issues.

Yep, copy that!
She was not happy at all… lol

Yes, the access token will cause an issue at one point for sure (as it did for me today)…

Thanks for you the updates! We’ll see how it goes today.

So at some point after deleting everything last night and setting it up again, authentication again failed.
While trying to reauthenticate, I am getting this… So is this on the SmartThings server or the Ecobee server?

Thanks for the detailed update @yvesracine

Beta seems to be working well to resolve the issue. It has been 24hrs with no recurrence of the issue (which its long to not see the issue reoccur… keeping my fingers crossed). Thanks again.

Hi @CheezWiz,

Please follow my instructions and retry again, as this looks to me as one of those momentarily ST platform issues…

Other ST users (including myself) have been able to restart their ecobee device.
Regards.

@jotto, please see my previous post…

You need to resync with my main github branch as ecobee made some API changes yesterday that may cause some issues later.

Regards.

1 Like

I am on a catch 22 here… I can’t uninstall my Ecobee because it is being user by ecobee3RemoteSensorInit. If I try to remove ecobee3RemoteSensorInit or the thermostat from ecobee3RemoteSensorInit I get errors. Is there any way to force the ecobee3RemoteSensorInit app removal.

@CarlosS I was having the same issue with my setup. Go into your Ecobee Remote device under Things on your phone, then go to the SmartApps tab within the sensor. From there, you can see what is using the Remote, and then remove it before uninstalling the remote. Once the devices are removed, then you can remove the ecobee3RemoteSensorInit. If it is only your main Ecobee3 device within the SmartApps tab, and that won’t let you uninstall, then you can try to remove it under the SmartThings website (https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/list).

Hi @benmctee, @CarlosS,

Like any other ST devices, you’d need to remove them first from any other smartapps before uninstalling
ecobee3RemoteSensorInit and MyEcobeeInit.

There is no way to my knowledge to ‘force delete’ a smartapp.

Regards.

@yvesracine,

I did all the steps you listed in post 122:

(1) Remove My Ecobee device and any ecobee3’s remote sensors from all smartapps

(2) Uninstall MyEcobeeInit, ecobee3RemoteSensorInit

(3) Get the latest MyEcobeeDevice, MyEcobeeInit and ecobee3RemoteSensorInit code at my main branch:

(4) Re-execute MyEcobeeInit and ecobee3RemoteSensorInit

At first, my Ecobee was reporting 0F for temperature, and was not letting me adjust the cooling setpoint. After waiting a few minutes, it updated and all looks well. I’ll report back tomorrow if any errors are received. Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication to this project. Hopefully ST and Ecobee can come through whatever cloud issues they’re having at the moment.

Regards,
Ben

@benmctee, you usually need to hit the refresh button as specified in the readme at my github (step 6) during
the installation.

Regards.

Yup, it did. I’ll try the new update. I really hate how much work you’re having to put into this because of ST and Ecobee dropping the ball.

@yvesracine in the logs for ecobeeInit smartapp I’m now seeing the following errors in the logs:

8:20:18 PM EST: error found exception/error after polling, exceptionCount= 1: doRequest>exception javax.net.ssl.SSLException: hostname in certificate didn’t match: <api.ecobee.com> != <www.ecobee.com> OR <www.ecobee.com> OR <ecobee.com> for null

anyone else seeing this?