[OBSOLETE] Improved Mobile Presence (Android only)

Make sure your presence sensor app it updated. That option sends a command directly to the app and requires it to be updated. Your version number is located in the settings screen in the presence sensor app. (Currently the latest version is 1.6.2)

Hi,

Iā€™ve got the latest apps (just downloaded today). Iā€™ve setup the device handler and smart app. When adding the smart app in SmartThings and selecting ā€˜pair this deviceā€™, the android app has an error in the notification bar saying update error #3, error setting presence.

Any ideas what is going wrong? I canā€™t see any ā€˜Thingsā€™ which match the name Iā€™ve just created for this presence sensor.

Checking the logs. Give me a minute.

My badā€¦ i messed it up in the last update lol. Just updated the app again.

Thanks for that. Iā€™m no longer getting an error in the presence app. Iā€™ve got two different issues now (one just looks like a bug I can work around).

1. On SmartThings when adding a presence sensor, I press new, enter a name for the device but the option to select this device or a different device doesnā€™t load until I put a name in and press save. This will give me an error then end up loading the boxes to select this device or a new device.

2. After adding a device within SmartThings, it says invalid device Id. When putting the device id in from your app, it says ā€˜please fill out the required fieldsā€™ but all the fields are filled.

If I change the minutes from 0.0 to 1, it allows me to save but still says invalid device Id.

So you shouldnā€™t have to enter device IDs or anything. Once you pair the app, it should automatically create the device.

Where are you getting the error to fill out required fields? The timeout shouldnā€™t be required.

This is what it looks like for me:

It will always stay on invalid Id even after manually entering it.

Update your device handler. Thatā€™s an old version.

Weird, I grabbed it all from your github yesterday. Iā€™ve just checked for updates and it said it was obsolete. Iā€™ve updated it and it seems to be working now. Iā€™ll try it out over the next few days.

One nice to have for a future release, the ability to set a device image for the presence sensor thing.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This whole setup actually stopped working for me on Friday morning.

I still have the app installed and I see no indication that itā€™s having issues, but ST no longer sees the device as arriving / departing.

Iā€™ll have to look into the logs today and see if I can figure out whatā€™s going on.

If you find any errors in the logs online, let me know. If not, you can PM me your device ID and I can check to make sure everything is good on the server.

Hi there,

Iā€™m getting the update error #3 . I have a samsung S8 pls help !

What does the rest of the error say?

The error says

Update error #3 Error setting presence

I have downloaded and removed the app many times, did the patch as well , still getting the same results. Pls help

Hey any help you can provide? Iā€™m stuck

I remember getting this at some point but I canā€™t recall how I fixed it.

I think I removed everything and re-installed the app and the ā€œOreoā€ fix. Also make sure you follow the instructions carefully because if you do anything out of order it goes crazy :slight_smile:

Please PM me your device ID. I think I already know the issue but I want to be sure.

Well, Iā€™m about to take the plunge and switch to using this presence sensor. I spent an hour reading, that includes skipping about a third of the posts, johndc7, you have certainly put a lot of effort into this, so first of all thank you for your contributions!

Iā€™ve noticed on many of my adventures in smartthings, as a solution grows, one common problem is new users typically run into problems that were identified previously, but never made it to the install instructions.

So before I take the plunge for my wife, who wonā€™t have the smartthings app installed on her note 5 phone, and my note 8, wanted to check if the instructions are up the date with all the known issues? 1)

Iā€™ll be happy to help document or provide additional write up to help if need to address known issues etc. If Iā€™m understanding right, you may have an update in the works, should I hold off? 2)

Thanks!

Everything should be updated and there are currently no known issues with the setup.

Let me know if you have any issues with it and I can update the instructions if needed.

I am trying to use this device. I believe I have followed the instructions, but when attempting to add the Presence Sensor from the My App under SmartThings. After selecting to Create a new device, and giving it the name of ā€œRobā€, I get an error that says: ā€œThere was a problem processing your request. Please try again.ā€
It does create a New Device Id.

If I then click in Pair this Device, and open the tab in the browser, I get the following error:
Update Error #3.
And, in the notifications on my watch is says:
ā€œUnable to locate linked SmartThings account. Linking your account again should resolve the issueā€

Where does it need to be linked?

I am using a Galaxy S9 (SM-G960U1) running 8.0.0 with the latest update security update.

Thanks for any assistance.

That would make sense since it doesnā€™t save in the SmartThings app.

Do you see any errors in the logs (online under live logs) when you attempt to save in SmartThings? I assume OAuth was enabled correctly and everything right?