[OBSOLETE] Improved Mobile Presence (Android only)

I tried to delete the app both on the listing screen and after opening it, it says okay, but it is still there. It did delete my device.

I used the program to create another pair. And then for some reason it let me delete it. Weird.

I’m in the process of upgrading my Hub and I wanted to wipe everything out show me install it.

Sounds like a fun project. Are you getting a new SmartThings hub or are you switching to a new platform?

Overall, I like ST.

Just a new v3 hub, I have a v2.

Time to shake things up :wink:

@johndc7 hello sir, I have been seeing a number of Error #2 notifications lately, and the lady’s phone has been slow to update alongside these errors. Anything we can do on our side to fix the errors?

The app syncs:

1. When something happens
    a. WiFi network connects / disconnects
    b. When power connects / disconnects
  2. Around every 30 minutes. This is to make sure the battery level stays up to date and catch any missed events.

Most of the time you can see these errors due to the app trying to sync when there is no network connection (between WiFi / data connection or something similar). The best way to determine if that is the case is to open the app and manually sync. If it works then that was most likely the problem. Usually this is nothing to worry about as long as there is no noticeable delay. If you get these errors overnight or randomly throughout the day when your location should not have changed, that is nothing to worry about as those update are mostly just to keep the battery percentage up to date.

I would also pay attention to how long it takes for the device location to change in SmartThings. An easy way to test this is to just toggle the WiFi on / off and see how long it takes to update.

is there anyone who is using this solution with satisfaction? I ask why lately I have many problems with the localization of Smartthings and I am looking for a solution. Having this post a few years, I ask if it’s still working fine before I try it myself.

I have personally been using this since 2017 and everything works great for me.

If you have any problems, I’m happy to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again, I’m not sure to have correct understand. Now the smartapp work only with wifi and Bluetooth?
Do I need to be connected to the home WiFi network to be located at home? (or a selected Bluetooth device) Did I understand correctly?

The easiest way to use this is to select your home wifi networks. When your phone is connected to any of those networks then you will be marked as at home. Make sure you have “home location” checked if that location is home. That checkmark defines the presence attribute on the device.

1 Like

Thank you, now I understand. Unfortunately this is nota best solution for my situation, becouse the wifi in my house is not all time good and sametime. The wifi is not good and sometimes i don’t use it even if i’m in ac, so i would be located elsewhere. This is as true for me as it is for my wife. I was hoping there was some sort of location linked to GPS or GSM. Thanks anyway for your work

Hi, im having issues with presence sensor update. In order to update my location (by connection to my home wifi) i need to enter the app and only then it will update if im home/away.
When i disable wifi on my phone and connect with 4G the received massage is “panding update - your location will be update when you have internet connection” and the location isnt updated.
In case i open the presence sensor app it work and show the correct status of arrivre/left home and a massage of “sync seccsesful - seccsesfuly synced with server”
Can you advise how to handle this update issue?

Sounds like maybe the battery optimization settings could be causing a problem. Can you verify that the battery optimization is disabled for the presence sensor app?

Any plans to migrate this wonderful solution to edge? Or it will stop working at end of 9/22?

1 Like

So just an update on this…

Still looking into it but it seems like existing Groovy integrations will not stop working at the end of 9/22. They will only disable creating new ones. Might be wrong here but that’s how I took it. Source

Obviously this is not a long term solution but it does seem to buy some time here. It does look like the whole ST edge thing is completely different and will require significant server-side changes. This is a little difficult since this is not just a SmartThings exclusive project anymore. The project is also 5 years old now so maybe it’s time for some changes on the server anyways :slight_smile:

Feel free to like this post to kinda help gauge interest in this. This might be a decent amount of work and I’ve been off of SmartThings for a little while now so it would be nice to see how much interest there really is. Always up for a challenge though. I’ll keep this updated with any progress.

1 Like

Another community member has already created an Edge Driver that determines presence based on when an android phone connects or disconnects from the home’s Wi-Fi. It looks like it doesn’t have quite as many features as the project in this thread, and it does require an additional server device, but it May be helpful for some people. :sunglasses:

[ST Edge] LAN Device Monitor - #48 by TAustin

1 Like

Thanks, I was looking for something that doesn’t need additional servers myself. I do not like the localized solution via wifi, because my phone often disconnects if the quality is not excellent. I keep hoping that some genius will be able to reintegrate life 360 because it is the only thing currently that always works. The location of smarthings often gives me problems, either on my phone or on my wife’s, something is not detected every day. Sometimes leaving the house, sometimes returning home … an agony for home automation

2 Likes

For Android phones, there is an android option using Tasker and SharpTools that doesn’t require any additional tools. But you do have to use more third party apps. :thinking:

3 Likes

I’m with @Diegocampy . I also prefer a solution that doesn’t need extra server and Python. I really liked @johndc7 Improved Mobile Presence that only need an Android app , Smart App and a Device Handler. I wish John will eventually find some time to convert his Presence Sensor to Edge. My fingers are crossed :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

@johndc7 any news ?