[RELEASE] HousePanel Dashboard for SmartThings and Hubitat

I don’t know man… probably with some effort. But, I thought you had a similar thing set up?

To work with your setup the Node.js middleman would just have to be changed to push state over to your app and I. Your app you need to open a receiving webSocket. The HomeKit app works this way. A guy on Hubitat wrote the first draft of this modeled after the HomeKit source code and I cleaned it up and made it more efficient. Just peek at the source and it should be easy to see where mods are needed.

I don’t expect many people to use this until I get the setup script working. The manual install of the middleman and the updated files is a bit of a slog.

Yeah, this has been on my todo. Just hadn’t gotten to is as of yet.
Is this working with the new Smartthings api?

I still use the legacy groovy api so I have no clue about the new one. From what I have read the new API is more standard with Node instead of the funky groovy stuff so it shouldn’t be hard to make a modern version. This version isn’t likely to work out of the box with the new API though.

Gotcha, i’ll download and give it a shot. If/when I get anywhere with the new api and node I will definitely share.

Thanks … I am working on an install script to make it a one click process to get HousePanel with the housepanel-push Node.js app installed and running. Should have that ready soon.

[EDIT]
install.sh script has been updated. The new version allows any valid branch to be installed, and also offers options to bypass rPI configurations that are often already set up. This is a major rewrite of the install.sh script. This version also has a number of bug fixes and tweaks to make the push service work efficiently - although most changes are on the Hubitat side. I’ll keep tweaking this and soon will merge it into the master branch. For now this is all still only in the “hubpush” branch in the main repo.

I reconfigured the housepanel-push.js file quite a bit to deal with the timing of what gets loaded when. I added comments to the file to explain the changes. The old version usually worked but it would barf for new users who tried to start the service before a hub was authorized. This was addressed.

Now I just need to add a feature to remove an old hub… that is next.

Anyway, I wanted you to know so if you dive into this you should start with this version which is more robust. It’s still in the hubpush branch.

1 Like

Hi Folks - Tonight I merged the hubpush branch and made some other updates.

I changed the hub index to use hubId instead of a sequence number in prep for an update that allows hubs to be removed as well as added. This will allow the code to handle hubs that fall out of a neat numerical sequence.

I also cleaned up and did some more testing of the hubpush feature. I’m pretty happy with it now and how it is working. Even on the ST hub the local updates work blazingly fast. On Hubitat the speed of updates is insane.

In my testing any user created change to a tile outside of HousePanel will get updated on the panel within 2 seconds - without any polling now. This is pretty huge.

I still have to write up an update to the install instructions and debug the install.sh script but if you know how to do manual installs this should be ready to rock and roll.

Hi All trying to authorize a second ST hub at second location on a rpi and can’t seem to get past auth.
I get to the ST server where I can select the hub to auth and the items. But when returns to HP values are lost and returns to HP AUTH page.

HousePanel Version 1.983

[RELEASE] Version 1.986 posted with Hub removal feature and various other cleanups. This only requires updating the main housepanel.php and housepanel.js files. No changes to the groovy files.

@duckman69 try running this latest version. I did some cleanup and bug fixes that might solve your problem. Are you authorizing a second ST hub or a Hubitat hub as your second hub? I have only tested this with one of each - not with two ST hubs.

The auth page now includes a Remove button as shown below:

I think to do this you will need to install a second instance of HousePanel with its own oauth client and secret numbers. I have never done this but in theory it should work. After you return from the flow it should tell you how many things were added. I am going to go try that on my second home hub that I don’t use often. Will let you know if it works.

Yeah, I tried to add second instance late last year and couldn’t get past authorized. Had to manually copy/paste in the secret and token from first instance before it would allow me to do the done authorizing button. However, any new changes would not get saved in the second instance and eventually reverted to default even when I copied over custom HP files to the second instance.

I haven’t tried the second instance with it’s own oauth/token which kewashi will let us know soon if that option works or not.

Found bugs in the auth flow and am working on a fix. Stay tuned.

The swap to use hubId also broke the webSocket… man I made a bit of a mess with this latest version. HP has gotten so big that now I need s staff to do testing :blush: LOL.

Should be cleaned up later tonight.

I have
2 ST hubs

Hi Folks - I just now posted an update that fixes the oauth flow problem reported above. This also includes an updated housepanel-push.js Node.js program published to NPM. This was an obscure and nasty bug so I’m super sorry about that. To enable hubs to be deleted I changed the index over to use hubId instead of the numerical order in the array. Turns out I was using that numerical order in my hubpush logic, so that was fixed. The oauth flow was messed up because the variables entered into the auth screen were not being recognized for some reason. That is also now fixed. Again, I’m sorry about pulling the trigger too soon on the prior update.

This version is V 1.987 and should work well with hub pushes and oauth flows.

I have done some more testing and remain satisfied with the speed and robustness of the hubpush feature. I hope you all get it up and going. As always, write if you have questions.

I went ahead and updated everything to 1.987. Tried auth’ing again no luck. Added a second HP app. to ST IDE and got oauth and used those new values. Still no luck same thing Gets to the ST authorization page, select target hub and target devices but upon return no changes.

Ugh. Thanks for letting me know. Will keep at it. I have other reports that suggest this is a known problem when no prior hubs exist.

Found and fixed the bug. Still testing and fine tuning…

Another iteration today… making progress. I’m finding enough stuff wrong with hubpush that I am advising a few more days for it to settle. V1.989 posted tonight with the latest iteration. If you don’t care about hubpush then this does fix the oauth flow problem and it fixes hub additions and removals.

Folks - I’m sharing a conversation I had with a newbie user about their interest in installing HousePanel. In their case they were starting from knowing nothing about rPi’s or DIY projects in general. I don’t know if they will ever get there, but in the process of trying to help them I wrote down some useful getting started stuff that I wanted every potential new user to benefit from so I’m posting it here. Their identity is protected since they didn’t want to post publicly.

Start by reading the first several pages of the website at

www.housepanel.net

about the requirements for running HousePanel with setup guidelines. Also scan the messages on the main forum for how others have done it.

It requires you to run your own web server - the best option being on a raspberry pi.

If that sounds too hard or doesn’t make sense to you then you probably would be better off using a hosted solution like ActionTiles that is much easier to set up. If you want to proceed with HousePanel and are willing to learn some new things, then dive in. The first action you should take is buying a raspberry Pi. The best source is

www.adafruit.com

After you get your rPI, you need to set it up and figure out how to log into it remotely. Instructions for how to do that are online everywhere - just google setting up a rPI. Here’s a good resource:

www.raspberrypi.org

Then you can ssh into the pi from your desktop computer and use my install.sh script to set up HousePanel. You will also need to install the smartapp in the web IDE.

Again, if you are a total novice at DIY stuff like this, expect a slow gradual learning processs. It is worth it and I think fun. In exchange you get an awesome dashboard at a donation-ware price.

If the above sounds like torture or you simply want a plug and play solution, pull out your credit card and buy a copy of ActionTiles or SharpTools.

2 Likes

Thanks, for all the work. I have updated everything to V1.989. Updated ST groovy. Reinstalled everything on my rpi at location #2. everything is working.

1 Like

Awesome!

Glad it is working for you.

I’m still fussing with the hubpush feature to get that working reliably. When it works it works great but the Node app stops randomly for some reason. Hope to have that figured out soon. Once that is fixed HP will have the type of instant response that cloud hosted solutions enjoy today - actually might even be faster since it’s mostly hub to rPI local traffic. Until then the hubpush bug shouldn’t interfere with normal hub operation and the legacy polling which is still there.