[RELEASE] HousePanel Dashboard for SmartThings and Hubitat

I’ve been Christmas shopping. Will update tomorrow. Can’t wait for the refresh button.

Unfortunately no beyond my earlier reading that taught me that it won’t be common across multiple cam makers. Some will be easy and others not. This is on my todo list for the holiday break when I have a good chunk of time away from my day job. Stay tuned.

Thanks for update Ken and no rush as it’s the holidays so enjoy your break! I’ve upgraded to your latest builds and testing is going well. There are still some of my things that show up blank tile so I’ll chip away at them in the next week. For now on my test HousePanel tablet, I’m using tinycam monitor pro to view my camera feeds so have to manually switch back and forth as a workaround until I can hopefully repurpose my two SmartTiles tablets in the future.

You’ve given me an idea to focus first on TinyCam pro… it seems to be the best out there for Android live video streaming with support of tons of cameras. So if I can get that working then all Android users will have an option that works. Now … over to study up on how to embed it into a webpage.

I have honed in on the open source VLC video player and its web plugin to implement streaming video support into HousePanel. The details for how to do this are explained here:

https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:WebPlugin

Sure looks straightforward to me and quite flexible. Before I dig in and start coding this up I thought I would post this and ask if anyone out there has tried doing this before, and if so, what experiences they had? Also, I would love to get a quick survey of what Browsers people are using so I know which one’s to worry about supporting. Edge, IE 9 and later, Chrome, and Safari are givens. Hopefully nobody is stuck on the problematic IE 8 platform.

1 Like

I use Chrome, but hope to use Fully Kiosk for some Kindle Fires.

I mainly use Fully Kiosk browser on my android tablets. On my Windows 10 tablets, I use IE11, Edge and Chrome. Have some iPads but they leave the house frequently with the kids so haven’t installed any dashboards on them but kids prefer Chrome anyway compared to Safari.

currently chrome on the android tablet and pc. Stock samsung internet browser on my GS8. I plan on eventually checking out Fully Kiosk browser on my the new fire hd 10 sitting here as soon as I have the time to root it and rip out most of the amazon stuff.

1 Like

I don’t think “rooting” is possible anymore (well… unless you managed to get one that did not receive the OTA update that blocked the known root exploit…).

Let us know?

Yea… and I also don’t need to worry about rooting it if you are going to use Fully Kiosk Browser. Just activate the Kiosk mode option in HousePanel on the options page by typing yes into the text field. This will disable any ability to mess with things. And with the update that fixes the tablet touch that also means end-users can’t move tiles around on the tablet either. Tile rearrangement now only works on a PC which is what the folks configuring the tablet will likely use. I would just remove all apps that you can, disable notifications everywhere, and launch FKB and you’ll be set. If you want even more control you can always buy the full version which enables full lockdown capabilities.

By the way, I thought folks would like to know that my home personally uses Fully Kiosk Browser on two Android tablets - a Lenovo 10” mounted in the kitchen and a Nexus 7” that roams around where needed/wanted. I use Chrome on my desktop for development, testing, and configuring my rooms. Major releases are tested on Chrome, Edge, IE 11, Safari (on my wife’s Mac), and Fully Kiosk Browser.

Forgot to mention that I also use Safari on my work iPad to access my HousePanel. Also I have to give my friends at ActionTiles @tgauchat a shout-out and admit that I still use ActionTiles to control my home on my iPad when I am away from the house. I set it up to include an external tile that calls up HousePanel so I have both at my fingertips. Similar external URL linking tiles will be added to HP in a future update.

1 Like

Search XDA forums for fire HD 10. One of the first topics you see.

Newer root discovered working on the new fire hd 10 tablets. Doesnt work for the 8 though.

1 Like

Yeah kiosk looks like it works fine on stock, the reason I want to root is much beyond that. Need access to google play services is what it really comes down to. As a rely on several apps not available in the amazon store. Such as tasker and the autoapps collection. Among many other things not automation related.

Honestly I cannot believe that tasker/autoapps isn’t mentioned more on this forum. In the few months I have been reading through these forums I have seen many people using androids tablets trying to make projects that are easily done through tasker and these plugins.

I cannot wait to see what comes of the VLC integration. From the little reading I did last night, looks like I should be able to stream the Nest cam a birdie told me santa will be leaving on under the tree.

Thanks to @TOBob I now know that this won’t work because Chrome removes NPAPI support. I read all about it and there is no easy workaround. Still researching alternatives so stay tuned. Suggestions from the community are welcome. HTML5 video tags will probably work for some use cases but it will fall short of the flexibility of the VLC idea.

Darn!!! :cry:

Minor update pushed to clean up blank and image tiles. They are now set from the groovy side. This is a pre-step to providing video support. Also fixed a bug in how CSS is being handled.

One last update before Christmas… posted version 1.42 on GitHub just a few moments ago. This fixes the updates to refresh the PHP Sessions so screen refreshes stay in sync now. Also cleaned up the CSS file an fixed a few screwed up things.

1 Like

Thanks Ken you’re awesome. I will update soon and check it out.

Happy holidays!!

Thanks for the updates!
I found an online source for icons, so I have been changing mine around and that’s fun, but takes up time. Updating means I have to rememer what I changed in the CSS. Luckily, I have been taking better notes. It is so great to have the option to customize.

I’m really glad to see that you’re doing this and having fun with it. This is exactly what I was hoping people would do with HousePanel when I conceived it’s flexible architecture. When you are happy with your icon layout and CSS file configuration, it would be great if you would be willing to share it. If you bundle it all into its own skin subdirectory - say called skin-kylatay then I could even include it with the release package as an install option. I haven’t talked about it much but some time ago I did include a skin feature so you can just name the sub-directory on the options page and all your icons will automatically change over to that look. I would love to see some screen shots of your custom icons when you are ready to share. Eventually it would be great to have a library of HP skins sort of like Wordpress or Winamp skins are community created. For now the only two skins are skin-housepanel and skin-plain and even the plain one hasn’t been updated in forever so it will probably look pretty bad.