[RELEASE] HousePanel Dashboard for SmartThings and Hubitat

First - thanks so much for flagging this bug and documenting how it shows up so clearly. I got home today and took a look and quickly found and fixed the problem. In the process I did a few other cleanup tasks. Updated version is posted in the usual place. Three files modified are:

• housepanel.php
  • customize.js
  • tileeditor.js

So just update these three on your rPI and reload and you’ll be good to go. Thanks again for finding this bug and documenting it.

By the way… for you “coder types” I thought I would share what the bug was. In the GetOptionsPage function I looped through the rooms. For the header row I did it properly using:

foreach ($roomoptions as $roomname => $k) {

But for the content of the table I was using older legacy code that assumed linear room numbers:

for ($k=0; $k < count($roomoptions); $k++) {

When you remove rooms that assumption breaks. The fix was replacing that line with the correct line above. To make matters worse, I didn’t notice this before because at various times depending on conditions, I was automatically renumbering and sorting the room numbers. This was all cleaned up.

1 Like

Ken - first let me say thank you for all the great work on this. I’m new to Housepanel and this is exactly what I was looking for to improve the WAF of my setup. I used your easy install script on my rPi and was up and running in a matter of minutes. I’m on Jessie and the php7 install option didn’t work but php5 did w/o issue. As I’ve been setting up my tabs I’ve run into a few things I was hoping you might be able to help me with:

1. I’ve read that smart things deprecated “lights”. Is there a reason you are still using that type?
  2. all my dimmer switches work great using switchlevel but I have found a good number of my devices that are implemented as switches (toggle switches, outlets, etc) are very inconsistent and don’t work more than they do. I click the tile and nothing happens. Is there a log file or way I can try to determine what is happening?
  3. I tried to use the material skin for the simple design but couldn’t get to the configuration because clicking the settings button didn’t do anything. I don’t know if this is related to the issue in #2 item (nothing happens on click) so again looking for how to diagnose.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dj

I just never removed them. You can ignore and use switches.

Logging is in the standard browser console where other JavaScript notices are made. Logs in the groovy api are also there if you enable them in your phone. Dimmers should be added as switchlevel but either should work.

This skin needs work to be compatible with the current version. Sorry about that. I didn’t write that skin so editing it isn’t on my todo list. Maybe @vervallsweg is still around to help.

1 Like

Folks … I’m working on a version that adds usernames that have unique hmoptions files tied to them so you can deploy different behavior per tablet. Should be ready for testing tomorrow.

1 Like

[RELEASE] HousePanel V 1.960 with username feature

Several people have requested that multiple users be able to have different configurations. Well that feature is now available. You access it from the revamped re-auth page. On that page, enter your username and select a password. Then click the Done button at the bottom. This will take you to a login page where you log in as that user. Then you can alter the room configurations however you want and it applies only to that user. When done, switch back to “admin” or create another user. You can have as many users as you like. Each user shares the things from your hubs, but each user has a unique set of rooms that contain those things. The username is used to make a subset of the hmoptions file named hm_xxx.cfg where xxx is the username. I haven’t put any error checking in yet for the usernames so please take care to only use sensible names - start with letters and avoid spaces and other special characters to avoid breaking this file naming convention. The name will be case sensitive too. Here is what the new auth page looks like:

Hi all faithful HousePanel users. Today I have an apology and an important bugfix to report. The apology is somewhere along the way over the last month or so I managed to break the proper operation of switch tiles and locks. I didn’t notice because most of my lights are dimmers and those were not broken. And I don’t use my panel to operate my locks often. Anyway, long story short… what was broken was the GUI used to use the “toggle” command. I removed this in the main code but didn’t adjust the groovy ST smartapp accordingly. Tonight I fixed this so you probably should upgrade to this latest release. If all your lights are either dimmers, bulbs, or light types then you would not have seen this bug.

[EDIT - made Hubitat fixes too]
A similar fix was done on the Hubitat side and a few minor bugs fixed in the process. Anyway, please update your files with this latest release if you are experiencing funny behavior with switches or valves or locks.

NOTE This update will require you to upload the updated HousePanel.groovy code to your SmartThings account.

Thanks @jensen18 for reporting this… the bug noted above is what you were experiencing with your switches. Your report clued me into the fact that something was wrong here. After you update per above, the erroneous behavior you noticed will go away. Thanks again.

@kewashi no need to apologize, all your great work is why we are here. Thanks for looking into the switch implementation, as I wasn’t sure what to do next. I just updated the smart app based on your fix and now everything is working perfectly. Now I can work on finishing my tab config and figuring out how I am going to mount my tablets.

2 Likes

[RELEASE] HousePanel Version 1.964

Documentation for HousePanel updated to reflect all recent updates.

I also secured the housepanel.net web domain and will be placing all documentation and other information about HousePanel there in the future. For now it just has a copy of the bundled documentation page, but it is easier to remember than the old doc URL.

Check it out:
http://www.housepanel.net

Weather icons have been restored to HousePanel weather tiles in minor update post submitted today.

Note that this new weather tile format includes two new fields for text forecasts. They are hidden by default but you can display them by just going into the editor and unchecking the hide box for those fields.

And with the new tile customizer, you can even add these long forecast text fields to another tile and place it where-ever you like. I did that for my forecast frame tile so it now includes the text forecast for tonight and tomorrow. I think this is a pretty cool use of the new customizer feature. Take a look:

2 Likes

Dang @kewashi you just keep making this better and better my friend.

The power of HP still impresses me.

2 Likes

Thanks man! Having users that value it keep me inspired, and I get lots of great ideas from the community. A minor but cool update was posted just moments ago… I generalized the LINK feature so you can now link duplicates as long as you name the field something unique AND if that unique name begins with the same name as the field you are linking to. For example, you can now link: switchbedroom, switchkitchen, switchbar to an existing switch and it will show all four switches on the same tile. Prior behavior would allow only one.

See this example, where two switches are shown on the same tile along with a music title and a door sensor and a Stringify web post link.

This looks awesome. Took me a while to go through 1400+ posts. :blush: I have PI 3b or b+ and a few Linux laptops running idle doing nothing. Excited to get this installed tomorrow morning.

Ultimate goal would be to get this running from a jail on my Freenas server, reducing the need to have a dedicated machine just for this.

The machine you run it on can be shared with other things. Mine is running on a rPI happily with three other servers. It doesn’t take much space more compute power. It just is like any other php app on a web server.

Suggest you start with the easy install script. And refer to the current doc at www.housepanel.net for details.

Good luck and let me know what you create.

Version 1.970 minor release but important if you are using the new customizer. This update tidies up the customizer dialog box so that it shows what you selected before, and it gives more accurate cues and help. Also fixes editor for customized tiles so you can customize multiple states.

[EDIT]
Also fixed refactor (reset on menu) to work properly with custom tiles. Note that doing a Reset will renumber all your tiles and discard any that are no longer there from your hmoptions file. It still isn’t perfect if you have an old customtiles file but most people don’t so should be okay. I also cleaned up the forecast frame tile to be properly sized.

With this update I’m pretty happy with where things stand. I am studying a fork developed by someone on the hubitat forum that allows instant feedback using hub actions, but this will take some time to digest, so I’m not anticipating any major updates for awhile.

Of course the rPI can run multiple processes at the same time. I was using it with BigTalker and a small speaker. Now that we have Echo Speak I can just use a Dot with BigTalker to achieve the same result.I do have a decent size home built Freenas server that I use as my personal cloud for backup, Plex, ftp and so on, that has whole lot more bandwidth left to take on a lot more.

For now I will be running HP from rPI. It will be a learning curve to get everything configured properly.

Running from a jail would be good to have/personal project at some point.

Hi good people!!! Well my day off from work in honor of MLK day was a good one filled with lots of creative work on HousePanel. Most of it was debugging the complex customization feature which has proven to exceed my expectations for flexibility, but has also given me headaches for proper functioning of click updates, etc. I hope most of the quirks are gone after the bug squashing efforts of today. You will find that clicking on tiles that link to others now trigger the onscreen update immediately as it should for all linked tiles. Unfortunately it doesn’t work in reverse so you will have to live with polling updates for linked tiles that get updated outside of HP. Minor nuisance. I also tidied up the info table that “Show Info” prints to screen.

I thought I would showcase my latest office tab that demonstrates the power of the tile customizer and the highly flexible tile editor. Everything here on screen was created from within the GUI with no CSS manual editing.

Need a little help. I can run phpinfo/housepanel.php from my PI with PI’s ip address as well as localhost. But I cannot do the same from another PC on the same network. The PI has always been setup as headless, the 2 ways I access is ssh from Windows 10 bash shell, or TightVNC if I need graphical interface, which also requires ssh.

Attached a screen print that shows the TightVNC session to the PI, the ssh session using Bash ( brown ) and my failed chrome connection to phpinfo.php

I did chmod -R 777 on the files. Both owner and group is www-data. What am I missing ?

Hmmm I don’t see anything obviously wrong…

Perhaps there is a firewall blocking you?

Can you load other websites on the server from another PC?

I do what you are trying to do all the time and it works perfectly. I run HP on a pi tucked under my desk on the same sublan. I ssh into it to work on it, but usually I just upload files via the built in FTP in my Netbeans editor.

Step one is getting your pi recognized by other computers. Not sure what I can tell you to help at this point.