[OBSOLETE] Host Pinger (IP based Online State / Presence)

Hi this should now be on GitHub as they have just opened this up to the EU SmartThings users… I assume the repository is the same, but can’t find much on there?!

SmartThingsPublic/smartapps/jebbett/host-pinger.src/

@Entityxenon

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for but I get the following error.

3b126cc2-dcdf-44e1-b258-c2b42da674ed 8:59:41 PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script1480548557634188206478.updateLog() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String, java.lang.String, null, org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.GStringImpl) values: [set, Status, null, 192.168.1.181 [offline]]
Possible solutions: updated(), updateLog(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object, int, java.lang.Object), getLog() @ line 311

On the EXE screen I get
Failed to SendGetRequest: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Hi Ron, section 5 of my first post covers the issue with your exe, the config.config file is likely to contain the incorrect IDE URL, from memory this defaults to the EU URL, judging by the time you posted you need to update to one of the two US servers…

The error you are seeing in IDE is unrelated as the message isn’t making it to SmartThings yet, but I’ll fix that issue later today, all though that should disappear once you fix the exe…

Let me know if you are still getting problems or if you get it working. If you still have problems PM me your config file. Glad someone else has found a use for it!

I’ve updated the code to 1.3 to fix the error on a null value, I haven’t tested it however with actual events, but I have tested on another app I use the same code and seems to work…

Thanks for getting back with me. Your app needs to be part of the ST platform!

My IDE is on this server:
https://graph-na02-useast1.api.smartthings.com

To be clear, in your config file, you need to put the token, appid and ide in the:

Does the config take this and put it in the needed areas in the:

Then just populate my PC IP addresses here:

I so want this to work!

@Entityxenon

Working!!

Updated to latest version.
Still the Triggers were reading unknown.
I had to go into the Location in IDE, Uninstall the Child Apps i.e. 192.168.1.1xx.
Re-installed the triggers (Child Apps) then BAM!
I changed nothing in the config file.

Awesome Awesome Awesome App!!! This should really be apart of ST natively!

Full PC Control by following these steps:

1. Turn Off PC or other commands with Virtual Switch & Send Events to EventGhost - SmartApps
    Send Events to EventGhost

2. Turn On PC with WOL via CoRE & Virtual Switch
    Newly documented Wake on Lan (WOL) functionality (2016)

3. Keep the Virtual Switches in Sync with the actual Machine using Host Pinger (Switch Control)
    [Release] Host Pinger (IP based Online State / Presence)

I’m in Heaven! Thanks again for your hard work!!! Now I can go reclaim my Iris Plugs and have way better control over my house!

ToDo-Get this to run on my Pi3

1 Like

No worries, should run fine on the Pi from what I have read, but haven’t had a chance to try it yet… just need to install mono and execute on startup…

Interesting to see how people are using it though! I only wanted to know if my TV was on so I could remove the power meter socket (I stop automatic lighting when the TV is on)

Friendly Bump for those who might have missed this awesome App!

1 Like

Update on the Mono install.

1. This is my first experience with Linux and therefor I was/am clueless when it comes to installing, updating, navigating, etc… my way through the Linux OS, specifically Raspbian on Pi3.

2. I did my best to find Mono and install it but I kept getting errors as to certificate issues or HTTPS request…

3. The regular “sudo apt-get install mono-complete” will not work with Host Pinger.

4. After following the instructions here:
    Install Mono on Linux | Mono

Updated Link:
http://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-lin-raspbian

I was able to finally get Mono to work with Host Pinger!

Thanks again for your help with this awesome App!

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back and sharing!

Everyone helping each other out it what makes SmartThings work!

Just to add I followed the below for Ubuntu:

1) sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

2) echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-xamarin.list

3) sudo apt-get update

4) sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Taken from and credit to here:

Yep. Pretty much. As simple as that was, for someone who doesn’t know, it is hard to find that information.

Maybe, put it in your install instructions?

1 Like

Have updated the first post with the link you provided :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! I’m new to Smart Things and trying to configure Host Pinger. I’ve got everything set up in ST and on my computer. I can see “online events” being sent to ST Live Logging, and in the Smart App, but no changes are happening on my virtual switch. I’ve made sure to name the switch the same name as the host I’m pinging.

Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Can someone please help?

=)

You don’t need to name the switch the same, you just need to add the switch in to it in to hosts and triggers section and make sure the host name matches… hope that helps!

Could also have Host Pinger to create the virtual switch. That way, you know its correct then use that virtual switch for your other purposes.

I did it both ways and they both work perfectly. Honestly, this app does not get enough attention. It is one of the best apps I have installed for “thinking outside the box” automation.

I use for my TVs, PCs, Tablets and AVR.

Example, Tablet disconnects from Wifi when not in use, so if Host Pinger see that the tablet is online after a long sleep period, that means that the owner is awake! From the owner being awake, triggers another piston that helps owner of tablet about its day!

1 Like

Yeah although the you do still have to manually associate the switch, you didn’t in the first version but that forced using only those switches… :wink:

Thank you! Was finally able to figure it out, and get everything working properly.

1 Like

I’ve updated the app to 1.4 just to include some instructions to make this clearer :slight_smile:

So I am stuck right now. I have the app installed properly and had the exe installed on the actual computer I am wanting to sync the status with ST and it was working fine. I then read that the exe needs to be on system that is on all the time so I installed it on my HTPC (Windows) and it constantly shows that my computer that I want to sync the status on is always offline.
Here are some screen shots of what I have setup. And I do have my correct access token and app id saved in the config.config

If you ping the IP from the command line does that work? Also check your firewall to see if you are allowing access to the app? I think your configuration is fine something else is blocking it… (My money is on your firewall, assuming you haven’t accidentally provided the wrong IP) :slight_smile: