[RELEASE] Honeywell Evohome 2020 Integration with new Smartthings app

@nayelyz could you help me out with merging the 3 grovy codes into one? Also i need to write this is node.js?

EDIT Tried it again today and it worked. No real idea why it does today and didn’t yesterday. Computers, how do they work?

Summary

Have had the Evohome system for many years but have just now got some SmartThings pieces so looking to do this integration. Clearly an amazing effort from @Andremain and others to have got this working. However, it isn’t working for me :frowning:

I have the symptom which @Philip_Street1 had in terms of everything appearing to work but temperatures showing at 5 degrees. I understand that issue was resolved in version 3.4 so my symptom must have a different cause.

I have been through the steps several times and even reset my Evohome down to a single HR92 to see if it was an error at my end.

The API call appears to be retrieving the correct temperature
Heating: getEvohomeLocationStatus: Data: [gateways:[[activeFaults:, gatewayId:5282455, temperatureControlSystems:[[activeFaults:, systemId:7242354, systemModeStatus:[isPermanent:true, mode:Away], zones:[[activeFaults:, heatSetpointStatus:[setpointMode:PermanentOverride, targetTemperature:15.0000], name:Hall, temperatureStatus:[isAvailable:true, temperature:19.5], zoneId:7242347]]]]]], locationId:5570863]

But what I can see from the logs is that I am throwing 2 errors.

The SmartApp does this every 60 seconds:
13:12:44: error java.lang.NullPointerException @ line -1 (doCall)
13:12:44: debug Heating: getCurrentSwitchpoint()
13:12:44: debug Heating: updateChildDevice(-1)
13:12:44: debug Heating: poll(-1)

The second error is caused by trying to make a change from the app with the device giving this error:
debug Heating: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method getOffset() on null object @ line 386 (setHeatingSetpoint)

Clearly it’s working smoothly for everyone given that there haven’t been discussions here in months but just in case someone is able to help with the above I’d be very grateful. In the meantime I might try some of the older

Thanks

Hello. I am sorry you are having issues. To be honest i moved to home assistant about 6 months ago.

Hi

Can i ask will this stop working by the end of this year with what smartthings is doing with legacy device handlers, groovy code etc from mid October?

Thanks

Any thoughts on the move to Edge drivers?

I just created the smartapp and get the exact same error. All the sensors are reading 5 degrees

We’re relying on this great integration to control our Evohome system. Especially in these times when gas is very expensive, this integration is a live-saver.

Since it looks like the integration will be obsolete from the 15th of October, when the legacy device handlers will be disabled, I really hope anyone will be able to develop a working solution.

I’m willing to donate some funds to cover development time/costs and will help in any way possible (although I’m not a real developer).

Any new on any Evohome intergration?

@nayelyz shouldn’t this integration work after the move to edge drivers?

Do you mean the integration for Evohome you updated? That is considered a custom integration, so, it won’t be migrated to Edge.
Also, I remember it required requests to Honeywell’s Cloud and Edge doesn’t support access to the public Internet. And, as this is a Cloud-to-Cloud integration, it won’t be migrated to the “closest” Edge driver because it doesn’t have a fingerprint.

There is already an integration published by Honeywell and it seems to be an ST Schema because it asks you to link an account. It means it is not Groovy-based and it won’t be affected.

1 Like

Wow - that is a good find. Does the custom device handler(s) predate that integration then?

For those of us with the device handler, should we remove our evohome from Smartthings and re-add using that integration?

Where do you find this list? I can only add the ‘regular’ Honeywell Home (which is for newer thermostats, not for Evohome), not the Total Connect version.

I also don’t see that, only Honeywell Home. Am in UK. We need to get access sorted out to the Evohome one globally otherwise we’re left without a working integration when Edge is fully adopted.

1 Like

Ive spoken to Resideo and they will not be developing Evohome with SmartThings and will not give a reason as to why it was removed.

Is it possible for anyone make an edge driver for this at all or make it work?

Sorry for the delay. I’m not aware of all the details about when the official integration was released and when the custom DTH was released either.

I think it is a possibility, but I don’t have further information about what the integration supports. That depends on the partner.

If you don’t see it, it means it’s not available for your region, that also depends on the partner as they choose the regions where the integration is available when they submit their certification request.

According to what I saw in the custom DTH, it was using requests to Honeywell’s cloud and Edge drivers don’t have access to Public Internet.
So, you would need to use a SmartApp to connect to that cloud and maybe interact with a virtual device to send the capability updates.

Or Smartthings could choose to override the regional availability of the existing integration so that their European customers with Evohome don’t just lose central heating control because of infrastructure decisions that primarily benefit Samsung instead of end users?

The availability of integrations is defined by the partners when they make a Publish request so, I suggest you contact the manufacturer (Honeywell) to ask them for this integration.

which has a vanishingly small chance of resulting in them putting in the work involved, and the incompatability is entirely the result of Smartthings a) totally failing to plan for the cost of cloud compute in their initial infrastructure and business model planning and b) subsequently deciding to pull the rug out from under customers who have working legacy integrations, instead of providing them with a route to pay for their own usage of said cloud infra.

A classic case of a software-dev driven team instead of a UX/customer-centric team. What’s easiest / cheapest / newest gets selected with customer impact as a secondary or tertiary consideration.

I’m moving to Home Assistant. Smartthings can’t be trusted to have the best interests of end users at heart any longer.

1 Like

I jumped to Home assistant about 2 years ago when I saw all this coming and haven’t looked back. Someone’s even working on a project that entirely controls Evohome locally using some additional hardware. I haven’t been reliant on the internet for it for about a year now.

God luck

2 Likes

I am thinking of giving home assistant go as well. I have a few custom device handlers including Evohome. My question, will all of my devices which works with smartthings, work with Home assistant?