[OBSOLETE] Honeywell / Ademco Vista 20P Integration

@redloro

Two more questions:

1. I have a couple of carbon monoxide detectors as part of my Honeywell alarm system. Have you tried writing a device handler for those? If not, do you take pull requests?

2. Some Honeywell devices also support tamper and low-temperature faults. (I think my smoke detectors do both…) Is that something that could be handled with the device handler? (I’m assuming it could since those are listed as “capabilities” in the smartthings API docs) I believe tamer and low-temp are actually programmed as separate zones into the panel, but I don’t remember for sure.

Thanks!

@redloro, BINGO brother. That worked. Now I’ve gotta get the system running without me being physically logged into the PUTTY session.

Many options depending on your host OS… I just use forever to run it as a background process but that works for me cause the machine never goes down. If you want to make sure it comes back if the RPi reboots, check the following out:

I think I did for another forum user… you can just take the smoke sensor one and just modify for carbon monoxide… and I absolutely accept PRs.

We could definitely add those in… just need to see how they’re reported by EVL and pass that through to ST.

I’m running on a Raspberry Pi2 and the machine never goes down. I tried:

su pi -c ‘node /home/pi/server.js < /dev/null &’

No success. I know I’m doing something wrong here. LOL.

Another question. How do I exit out of PTTY once I finally get the Node.js to run? CTRL A+D??

Follow the second tutorial… they do exactly what you want on the RPi2.

Once you get it running as a service, you won’t see STNP running in the terminal console… in Putty you’ll see the command prompt and be able to exit and just close the window.

My issue is I’m confused about how to note where my node.js is installed. The server.js file is located at Download/smartthings-nodeproxy/.

The instructions however say to “note the 4th line (export NODE_PATH=$NODE_PATH:_/usr/local/lib/node_modules) where my particular Node.js installation is specified”.
Forgive my ignorance but I do not know where my node.js installed and so can’t note this location at line 4. :frowning:

Furthermore, do I also change the /usr/local/bin/server path to reflect where is my node.js installed? I followed the instructions and so all the files are in the same places as yours redloro.

#!/bin/sh
#/etc/init.d/myService
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
export NODE_PATH=$NODE_PATH:/usr/local/lib/node_modules

case “$1” in
start)
exec forever --sourceDir=/usr/local/bin/server -p /usr/local/bin/server myNodeApp.js #scriptarguments
;;
stop)
exec forever stop --sourceDir=/usr/local/bin/server myNodeApp.js
;;
*)
echo “Usage: /etc/init.d/myService {start|stop}”
exit 1
;;
esac
exit 0

@hionhifi no worries… if you followed the instructions @ OSHLab then NodeJS would be @ /usr/bin/node which would make your script look like this:

#!/bin/sh
#/etc/init.d/stnpService
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
export NODE_PATH=$NODE_PATH:/usr/lib/node_modules:/usr/local/lib/node_modules

case "$1" in
start)
exec forever --sourceDir=/home/smartthings-nodeproxy -p /home/smartthings-nodeproxy server.js
;;
stop)
exec forever stop --sourceDir=/home/smartthings-nodeproxy server.js
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/stnpService {start|stop}"
exit 1
;;
esac
exit 0

Couple things to note…

• This script should be here: /etc/init.d/stnpService
  • Assuming that node is actually here: /usr/local/bin
  • Assuming that you’ve installed stnp here: /home/smartthings-nodeproxy
  • You need to install forever by running: npm install forever -g

Good luck.

Is there anyway to use the smoke detectors with SHM? It seems it just sees the Alarmdecoder smartapp and not the actual detectors. Also for some reason alarm decoder shows the smoke detectors/CO as contact switches which I suspect is what is causing the problem with SHM. Just wondering if anyone has a solution for this, I do not use a monitoring service so I need to be notified if there is a potential fire. I bought the AD2Pi specifically for self monitoring and integration with Smartthings.

Edit: I just found this post, looks like they are working on it.

On a separate note for some reason when I enabled Armed Away, SHM switches to Armed Home. It will not stay on Armed Away mode. Not sure why this is happening, anyone else notice this issue.

Edit2: Figured out the arming issue, needed to change “auto stay” to off, cause it was changing arm mode to stay if a door was not opened after arming.

Assume you are using the AlarmDecoder SmartApp with AlarmServer and not this integration? The STNP integration for AlarmDecoder has support for all sensors including smoke detectors.

Yes, I did go through the instructions on the github page for setting up ST and connecting it to the AD2Pi. When I select smoke detectors in ST, it just shows “AlarmDecode,” not the actual CO/Smoke detectors/zones. Now maybe I am wrong but it seems since in the STHM I just selected the “AlarmDecoder” device, and not the actual zone, that it would trigger this for any zone connected to this device. If this was the case then I would not know if the alarm was trigger because of a fire or a security issue. I hope this makes sense, unless I have this all wrong.

Lol… hold on I’m confused… are you using this integration here??

Sorry to confuse, no this integration.

Ok… you should post in that thread… this thread is for another integration option for SmartThings w/Honeywell or Ademco panels through either the Envisalink or AlarmDecoder modules. It includes it’s own SmartApps, Device Handlers, etc and does support the smoke sensor.

Okay, thanks I will take a look at your integration also, this will work with the AD2Pi correct?

Not without some work… this was built to integrate with the AD2USB. It could be a pretty good fit, but the plugin here: https://github.com/redloro/smartthings/blob/master/smartthings-nodeproxy/avail_plugins/ad2usb.js

was built to talk to the AD2USB and would need to be updated to use whatever protocol the AD2Pi uses to talk to the alarm panel.

My stnp needed patching and reboot, so I thought I would update the envisalink.js as well.

Did that and now nothing updates in ST.

Went ahead and updated the app and device handlers from the repository, that went fine.

But nothing is updating in ST still.

Do I need to remove the app and re add it or something? Could be that my node proxy isn’t working right, I wasn’t sure what to look at to verify that.

Well, it was definitely my node proxy. I decided to just backup my config, npm uninstall it, delete the folder, re-download, restore config, re-install. Side note, PM2 is the greatest utility for auto-running node.js apps. Is so easy to use, and works 100% of the time.

Everything looks like it is working now.

Question though - if/when you update the smartapp or the device handlers and then republish them, do you need to do anything in the ST app after that? Or are you good to go after you update/re-publish?

Usually good to go after the update/re-publish unless there were major changes and I try to a) not push those and b) provide an update in the first post of this thread.

Thanks for clarifying! And thanks for the solution.

Other than rare times when the stnp stalls out, the solution works great. In the rare times it stalls, a quick reboot of the VM fixes it right up.