[OBSOLETE] Honeywell / Ademco Vista 20P Integration

As much as I love the classic app (trust me, it’s great), it’s eventually going to die off one way or another. I have seen that Samsung is subtly messing with the code with each release.

With that said, is there ANY progress being made to re-write this for the new app? @redloro? @philh30? Thoughts?

More and more devices are only being supported in the new samsung app, so I’m being forced to run two apps at the same time.

IMHO, this is one of the best, useful integrations I’ve ever had. If we ever get forced over, I would love to have this still.

1 Like

I concur that this is one of the best ST smartapp for our household! Hope the classic app continues to work for a very long time as the past 3 years of use have been pretty smooth once properly configured :grinning:

I just started getting the same error this week. Not sure if Smartthings updated something that caused this?

Rebooting the hub fixes it for about a week. Disconnecting the Ethernet connection has no effect.
Started a few months ago for me.
Seem like the hub stops listening.

Looks like the end is getting here faster than we had planned (or that I spoke about above):

This just came out today (1/15/2020).

"Hi Everyone,

Many of the features from SmartThings Classic are now included in the new SmartThings app !

We have started asking some users to transition to the new app. However, a few of the features you know and love might not be available quite yet. We will be releasing our transition tool to small groups over the next few weeks. Keep an eye out for the banner in the SmartThings Classic app to get started.

If you have not yet transitioned to a Samsung Account, follow the steps in the banner in the SmartThings Classic app to get started.
Check out our FAQ for more information about the new app."

And this one:

**What happens if I don’t migrate?

You will need to migrate as the Classic app will eventually be deprecated. We will provide an exact date for that in the coming months to give you plenty of advance notice, but if you do not eventually migrate before that date, SmartThings Classic will no longer work and you may lose some of your settings or migration may be more difficult."

I’m hopeful that that message isn’t doom and gloom, but instead means we’ll have a path forward. The issue with adapting this to the new app at the moment is that the new app can only handle a user interface that matches a predefined capability or set of capabilities. That works for the zone devices, but the partition device is full of buttons that don’t match a standard template. I’ve been able to link virtual switches to disarm/stay/etc and those then show and function in the new app, but it’s not an elegant solution, and it doesn’t give as much functionality as the old app.

The other problem is that ST has indicated that they’re moving away from the groovy platform, but the new development environment is only available for cloud to cloud integrations at this point. So, even if we wanted to move this out of groovy, I don’t think a path currently exists.

Reading the other messages from ST staff in the topic you linked, it seems like they have some developments coming out shortly that, at the very least, will allow us to define custom interfaces outside of what the built in capabilities allow. That should at least solve the problem of getting the partition to work in the new app. The lingering question though will be whether they drop support for groovy at some point.

1 Like

So at this point we don’t know if we’ll be able to use this with the new app? Maybe Redloro knows a way to get this to work with the new app.

Is it possible to add a keep a live ping between EVL and the node server. I updated the firmware on my EVL, as a result I had to restart my EVL as it wasn’t receiving anything from the EVL. Log were blank…

@redloro (I’ll tag him for this reply)

I haven’t seen him in this thread for a hot minute. Hopefully he can come back and let is into what we can and can’t do. That might mean that we need to invest (something like Konnected?) into other methods to make our alarm systems work with the new app.

Hey everyone! Been watching the discussions on this thread for a while… just been too busy to take a look at the new app and figure out a solution. And half hoping someone would propose something that would just work. I’m actually working on an update to tie this into the Ring Alarm system, so that you can continue to use your Honeywell panel + sensors + Smartthings but extend with Ring. Should have more info in the next couple weeks.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, the classic app is going to be going away. There isn’t much we can do about it. It’s either jump on-board or move on with another solution. Hopefully we can figure something out.

Below is the part of the announcement that pertains directly to transitioning DTHs like this one to the new app. It says that there’s new functionality coming that will allow us to define what the user interface for a custom capability should look like in the new app. Until that happens, porting this to the new app will mean settling for something that does less in a messier package. The best thing to do right now is to continue waiting until we see what custom capabilities can do. I’d note that there are plenty of other DTHs in the same boat as this one.

In the meantime, what’s possible with minimal effort is creating virtual switches for each of the alarm modes and tying them to the partition with a smartapp or webcore. Here’s my setup. It works, but it’s not as useful as having a working partition device:

I went ahead and made (6) automations (3 when you press the virtual buttons arm stay/away/disarm and 3 when you press the same buttons on the STHM):

• arm stay, arm away, and disarm (pushing any of the three virtual buttons will arm/disarm the alarm and change the status of STHM)
  • STHM stay, STHM away, and STHM disarm (pushing any of those three buttons on the STHM will enact the proper virtual switch above and change them accordingly which will arm/disarm as well).
1 Like

Thanks! Appreciate all your hard work.

I did the same and it works well. I did use Webcore to use the virtual switches to arm/disarm the Honeywell system. This seemed to work better than using automations. I did use automations for the STHM stay, away and disarm buttons that now enact the virtual switches.

This scheme has all the functionality I need. I do use Webcore to arm/disarm the system based on presence sensors and this still works. I did delete all the rules and assocations I had in SHM in the Classic app. I then held my breath and deleted SHM in the Classic app…and lo and behold the world did not end.

@Sakman, I’ve got the duplicate routines (and scenes - although the scenes can be replicated in the routine to be honest) created in the New App already, but not sure if I want to fully pull the trigger just yet. I’m getting there, but I know that in some instances if you delete the contents of the Classic App you can’t get certain things back.

** update ** Screw it, I went all in. I deleted my routines in the Classic App and then deleted the app. All seems to be working in the new app, but I’ll give it time to see if my new routines/scenes fail the logic arguments. I will be curious to see how the presence plays out as well with my phone.

I’m still having issues with nodejs not being able to talk to SmartThings. I have to reboot the hub about every 2 weeks.

hey, know I’m probably jumping into the wrong thread, but wanted to make sure I used an active one. I have followed all the steps (I think) to add my Vista panel to Smartthings using the Envisalink4, and my node server is definately working, I can see all events through the cmd panel. My app appears in smartthings, but my devices do not. I have checked all my ports, ip addresses, and various other programming. Any idea on the best place to start looking? I’m sure it’s something stupid, but I am terrible at programming and am sure I just did one really stupid thing. Is port 8080 more likely to work than 8088? does the config file set the password for the smartthing node, or do I have to match it to something I have configured previously? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Willing to share any code or screenshots necessary

Do you have discover zones checked? Your config file will set a few things:

“port”: “8080”,
“authCode”: “xxxxxxx”, (node proxy auth code)
“envisalink”: {
“address”: “xx.xx.xx.xx”, (internal envisalink ip address)
“port”: “4025”,
“password”: “xxxx”, (envisalink password - typically default here)
“securityCode”: “xxxx”, (security code for your alarm system)