[OBSOLETE] Heatmiser Neostat Integration

Yes that is the downside, radiator/room based control can only be done with an external device (and then use CoRE or something). Currently I am using the Heatmiser zones, hence limited by that. Luckily the actual thermostats only cost about £35-40 each and can mix between electric underfloor/liquid underfloor/radiator (have a direct feed combi boiler hence no hot water stat needed for me). A friend of mine built some radiator valves that have RF control, so I am playing with those to see if that fills the gap for me, since retro fitting thermostats in each room would be a challenge!
The zigbee link seems good for me, Ive certainly never seen any problems from it. But I can imagine anything at 2.4ghz could well struggle in some houses! That is probably the only benefit I can see from ZWave, though even then they can still have range problems. ST Zigbee stuff on the other hand is poop! Dont think I would judge based on that! Though Im not encouraging you to switch necessarily, just providing some balance!

HI thanks for information. I probably should have a look at it. I wonder if I could still maintain Evohome for the TRV side?

Im not sure how Evohome communicates with other things, but you could probably keep it, the challenge would be adding the logic in order to make it work smoothly with Heatmiser… (e.g. requesting heat from the thermostat and ensuring other zones dont get excess heat)! If you just want to be able to turn on/off some rooms based on logic then that might be easier, but temperature based controls would be complicated!

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the hard work on this - I just bought (and received in record time!) one of your pre-programmed NodeMCU’s…thank you!

I’ve gone through the setup steps, and its online and in SmartThings, however it doesn’t appear to be able to communicate with the Neohub to populate thermostats. Now it could be a networking problem (my home network is not straight-forward, and I need to go check that tonight when I’m home)…but there could also be another problem.

I’m actually using a Myson Touch2 Wifi system…its effectively rebranded Heatmiser Neo system (thermostats and the hub - the hub even advertises itself as a Neohub) but I wonder if they’ve done something odd with the API’s that breaks this. Have you ever seen your setup used with a rebranded system?

Many thanks in advance!

JC

Interesting! I know network can have an effect, though actually ST-NodeMCU is more fickle than NodeMCU-Neohub (due to shoddy interfaces on ST). Hence if network is a problem then I think you might also see some quirks in the connection to ST. That said if you pm me your network overview I would be interested in hearing a bit more as I do think some routers and switches do a better job than others!

On the rebrand front, it is entirely possible they have tweaked something, but the impression I got from my conversations with Heatmiser is that most products share the same firmware (e.g. Even the non-Apple-homekit Neohubs have to have firmware approved by Apple due to a shared process somewhere). Is there an app for your phone or do you use the Heatmiser app? Some easy things to test, if you type a command in the webpage such as http://ip_address/neorelay?command={“INFO”:1} do you get a response? If you go to http://ip_address/settings do you see the correct IP for ST and Neohub?

Is this the myson Touch hub?

Chris, isn’t that the old Gen1 neohub?
new Gen2 version looks like this…
Perhaps there could be differences?

The gen 1 hub looks like gen 2, except it doesn’t have home kit written on it (I.e. Spaceship Oval shape!)

I can see some people with Myson hubs online but can’t find any information about them. I would be surprised if there was a difference if they have just rebranded the hardware, and doing the rebrand would be pointless if they didn’t have an app to work with (unless they kept the same hardware)… Imho… Though I know many decisions are rarely logical!

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

The Myson system appears to be the Gen2 Neohub (it’s also HomeKit compatible), and is controllable via an iOS app which looks almost identical to the Heatmiser app (from what I can tell). I suspect my issue is around my network setup…

I’m running Unifi gear across 2 switches (which have different vlan/subnets on them, DHCP handed out by the USG/Unifi Security Gateway - which is effectively a firewall and router appliance). My ST hub sits on x.x.1.x and my Neohub sits on x.x.2.x. All the wifi AP’s are hung off x.x.1.x…so I wonder if somewhere there’s a problem getting between the vlans. Going to re-patch some stuff tonight and check it out…

I tried the commands you mentioned; the neorelay? times out, and the settings page returns:

{“ip_for_st”:“яяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяя”,
“port_for_st”:“яяяяяяя”,
“ip_for_neohub”:“яяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяя”,
“port_for_neohub”:“яяяяяяя”}

So I suspect ST is unable to talk to the relay and update its config…

Yup, exactly. Those are raw EEPROM settings from factory, hence it seems you are right that ST has not managed to configure the NodeMCU (actually cannot reach it at all). ST has to be on the same subnet as anything it is talking to, but I expect the NodeMCU could possibly be on a different one to the Neohub…

Based on what you say, it seems the first problem is that ST cannot talk to NodeMCU despite being on the same subnet, there might be some kind of blocking happening by one of the APs…

So migrating all my devices onto a single subnet/vlan appears to have solved the issue, as you predicted.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Ah great, so the development works with the Myson Touch Hub aswell! Thanks for letting me know, I’ll add it to the first post.

Yep, seems to work perfectly with the Myson Touch2 Wifi installation. Thanks for the support (and effort in creating this)!

Hi Chris,

Interested in purchasing the ST/Neostat interface but as a Newbie I can’t seem to send you a PM… would you have an email address I could contact you on please? Many thanks…

Panch

Hi @Panch , if you look in the first post then there is an online shop, and from there you can send me a message or buy. Perhaps your ST account is new and hence isn’t allowing private messages yet.

Great… many thanks… sorry missed that!!

Panch

Thank you Chris - your efforts in developing this integration and your support with getting it working is greatly appreciated. This is mostly working well now. I had an initial glitch with my Bridge device, but I think that was a SmartThings issue where it corrupted the device. I managed to remove it and re-add it and then it worked after that.

I can confirm also that my thermostats that had a space in their name did not work - they showed 0 degrees. I removed them, renamed them with an underscore instead of a space, and now they are all showing temperatures.

The only 2 items that currently are a little odd are the 2 switch devices that only support on/off and schedules, i.e. the NeoPlug and Hot Water. The NeoPlug shows a temperature of 255.255 and the Hot Water is just showing the temperature for the Central Heating (Hot Water and Central Heating are both controlled from a NeoStat Air).

Great, I will send you a PM, I am currently testing an improved thermostat device handler which also supports timer devices and possibly plugs in the same way…

HI everybody,

I have just released a new update which makes the display a bit cleaner - please let me know if it doesnt work for you, or you have a better idea for layout!!. I have also added a few fixes for bugs around refreshing and tile icons/customisation (you can change the icon of the device now). You can actually add a custom picture too, if you change “canChangeIcon: true” to “canChangeBackground: true” in line 92, but it works best with one or the other, and I though the icons were fairly versatile.

I have also added NeoPlug and Neo-HW support, hence if you have one of these devices then they will now show correct status as on/off and allow override. I have kept them in the same device type for simplicity and because I could not get the NeoHub to give me some information, hence moving it to a separate DTH made things harder!

Thanks to @zimguy for help with testing the changes!

As a result you just need to update the two device type handlers and everything should automatically switch over and update within a few minutes!

Please let me know if you have any feedback or questions!

1 Like

Thank you Chris - it is working brilliantly. :slight_smile:

@cjcharles- Can you please send me a message ? thanks