[RELEASE] Heatmiser Neostat Integration

@skinnypope Sorry, Im losing track of who has said what as Ive been away for too long clearly! Did you have the latest version of the firmware where you can create the child devices from the NodeMCU webpage? (something within the last 6-9 months).

I assume it is only failing on the INFO command? Is it failing for all devices or just some of your thermostats?
If you go to this webpage NodemcuIP/neorelay?command={“INFO”:“1”} or NodemcuIP/neorelay?command={“INFO”:1} do you see a full status message (the last part of the message is some timing information and it should finish with a curly bracket “}” as the last character on screen)

No problem waiting for a reply, I know this is a hobby for you!

1. Yes I installed the latest firmware from your github when I got it, and I could create the child zones
  2. It fails for all the stats
  3. It seems to only fail the INFO commands

Running that command gave me:

{“relaycommand”: {“INFO”:“1”},
“relayresult”:{“error”:“Invalid Json”}, “timingstr”:“start:0 gotcommand:1 processedresult:1 connectedneohub:7 postwrite:8 postclientconnect:8 postheader:8 postjsoncommand:9 waitedfortimeout:22 availableloop:23-bytes:24 finishedloop:33”}

I did some rummaging in my router the other day and I can see the NodeMCU regularly disconnecting from my network about every hour or so. It’s not my network (rock solid) or the location (it is sited right next to the WAP). I reset the network settings on the NodeMCU but that hasn’t changed anything.

Thanks!

Sorry the Smartthings forum have corrupted these quote marks. I thought they had fixed this bug by now. You’ll need to use the double quote on the ‘2’ key on a UK keyboard ( " not )

Just trying to work out if there is something else going on with the Neohub and perhaps a more recent firmware that you have, or if its smartthings not processing properly.
Im not sure why it is dropping off the WiFi, and it is definitely strange, but I dont think it should matter tbh. What AP/router do you have?

{“relaycommand”: {“INFO”:“1”},
“relayresult”:{“devices”:}
, “timingstr”:“start:0 gotcommand:1 processedresult:1 connectedneohub:8 postwrite:8 postclientconnect:8 postheader:9 postjsoncommand:9 waitedfortimeout:26 availableloop:26-bytes:15 finishedloop:37”}

I on Ubiquiti router and APs

@fido - Ive spent almost two hours playing with various attributes to try and give Alexa the information it needs to display correctly but I just cant work out what is missing. If you have a Thermostat device that does display correctly then it would be great to see this panel as I assume it must be an attribute that Alexa needs to display information… It could be a missing command, but Im sure Ive copied all the potential commands from 2 other thermostat controllers (so I assume they dont work either…).

Afraid Im going to have to accept defeat for now as I cant find any documentation anywhere and have reached my limit of time to poke around, especially given that the control functions work fine (i.e. you can set the temperature correctly and query it). But if you have one that works I can use it as a template.

It’s been several years since @cjcharles developed this Heatmiser integration(Thank You). I have tried to read all the relevant threads since and just wondered what the current state of play is? Is the integration with SmartThings still working or has Heatmiser/ST broken anything since the original setup? Also Heatmiser have now released a neoUltra thermostat/Control centre which allow you to control all the neostats from one location. Do any users have any experience with the neoUltra and how it might fit into the integration. Does it just act as another thermostat as far as ST is concerned or has it provided opportunities. I did contact Heatmiser and they confirmed that the neoUltra cannot communicate with the other neoStats if the internet is down so it relies on the cloud to function.
I’m about to commit to Heatmiser controls and will still do so because of the benefits over my existing control system, even if the integration has degraded but would be interested to know.

I havent seen the new NeoUltra device, but if it connects to the NeoHub I expect it will work fine with the current integration since this just pulls all the information from NeoHub and then forwards it to SmartThings.

If it connects to the internet directly then it will not work with this integration since this device can then not talk to it. I don’t really know why they would build devices that connect directly to the internet since then WiFi coverage needs to be excellent, though I guess they are just cloning what Nest/Hive/et al do, and its an easier solution to install for some customers.

As for the integration it does function fine for me, and it should still be possible to install it using the latest firmware (just doing less in ST itself and more in the devices webpage). The smart controls are still possible through other apps, though the main ST app is now just for more basic controls (temperature and mode).

Hi everyone, kinda tearing my hair out here a wee bit. I had it all working but a reset on my router changed all the IP addresses. I have figured out how to set static addresses for Smartthings hub, neoHub and NeoBridge. Unfortunately, when I hit the “create child zones” I get a couldn’t connect to neoHub error. I have triple checked and the IP address is correct. any pointers? BTW I’m not overly tech savvy so may need explicit instructions :slight_smile: thanks

Probably the Neobridge doesnt know the new Neohub IP, this can normally be set with the configure command (assuming you have the latest version of DTH in ST, and latest firmware on the Neobridge which you can check in the settings page)

Chris, thanks for the reply. I’m not at home to confirm this but I’m certain that when I issued the config command (copied from further back on this thread but with my device IP addresses) I used the proper addresses and checked neobridge (both on its config page and on Smartthings devices page) against the static address table on the router. I was wondering if the port could be wrong or is that a standard port used for communication with the neohub?
I’m away from home for the next 2 weeks but will check on the IP addresses again when I get back.

Strange, can’t think of any other causes, and the ports are fixed (unless you override them). Maybe send some live logging info when you’re back

Will do, thanks

@cjcharles
Would you consider developing an edge version of the integration to replace the current groovy version

Sorry I’m afraid I don’t know anything about the new app design and process any more.

I spent several days (~15 hours) trying to get my intelligent features working in the new app, and finding everything I looked at was broken in some way. Unless there is a golden standard of guidance that has now been written then I don’t have the time to redevelop this sadly. I know if you link through to Google home then the interface is ok there.

Have ST now confirmed they are removing the current integration methods? I know they’ve been talking about it for years but never doing anything about it.

Groovy is being retired in the near future, as is the norm the time frame has shifted back by a few months, like most others we guess at reasons but no doubt one reason is, the new edge stuff is being written from the ground up which brings its own challenges

If you ever decide on having a bash it would be much appreciated, its going to be a shame to loose what control is left with our neo stats

If ST do go fully edge/cloud based then maybe the integration through Hubitat would be easy to setup, and it could pull the data that way (also preparing for all the other flexibility that it brings at the same time)

Not sure what you mean ?? Are you saying the integration will need a hubitat at the same location to work ??

Hello @cjcharles hope you are well.

The Smartthings community was concerned that the openness and extensibility of the Smartthings platform (that attracted many of us to the platform) was under threat. The Edge technology has addressed these concerns and although still beta, I have found the technology to be suprisingly robust.

As a happy user of your Neostat groovy driver and interface board, I would like to add my voice to encouraging you to continue your work as “Mr. NeoStat” in the Smartthings community and build an edge driver for us.

If this is not possible, would you be so kind as to publish the interface with your Neostat interface board to enable others in the community to write an edge driver and thereby secure our investment.

Many Thanks Tim

1 Like

Sorry Ive had lots of messages by a few different people and losing track of what people have asked for. The Hubitat comment was relating to somebody else mis-posted in here clearly.

I thought I had already published the code behind the interface but it looks like I just put the compiled firmware online. I’ll try and pull out my code and add a few comments so it is easy to follow, and then it should be fairly easy for somebody to modify so that rather than sending the Neohub messages onto ST locally it posts them online. I wont have time to do this myself IM afraid but hopefully ST have published some decent libraries for making an ESP8266 based chip communicate with ST cloud/edge setup.

Does anyone know of a Smart Thermostatic Valve that works with Heatmiser? I have an en-suite that is heated by a very large Towel Rail that I want to integrate into my Heatmiser system. Heatmiser don’t appear to make such a device although I have heard that Honeywell TRVs are compatible and possibly Tado? Alternatively could I use a UFH manifold Actuator with a NeoStatAir?
Has anyone overcome this particular issue?