[RELEASE] Hank Four Button Scene Controller

I purchased the Hank 4-button scene controller from The Smartest House and they provide a link for a Smart Things DTH to your GitHub repository for the:

• Aeotec NanoMote One/Quad v1.0.2
  • (Models: ZWA003-A/ZWA004-A)
  • Hank Scene Controller/Hank Four-Key Scene Controller
  • (Models: HKZW-SCN01/HKZW-SCN04)

In the new mobile app with the Hank I only have the option to configure one button and once configured all four buttons do the same thing. With the soon to obsoleted classic app I don’t have the ability to configure any buttons.

When using the Z-Wave Multi Button DTH I also have no ability to configure any of the buttons.

Hoping you might be able to shed some light on what I might do to be able to configure all 4 buttons of the Hank. See attached screenshots one from the classic app and one from the new mobile app for your DTH.

The new mobile app doesn’t support button numbers so I’d need to modify the DTH to create a separate child device for buttons 2-4 and that’s not something I plan on doing right now.

Have you tried joining the device without my DTH installed to see how/if the built-in DTH handles the other button numbers.

I saw that this had been marked obsolete and thought “ooh great - i can use a DH with local execution”, but it seems the Z-wave multi button handler doesn’t run locally despite being shipped with Smartthings?

Yes, it initially came up with the Z-Wave Multi Button DTH which offers me no buttons to configure. Sound like I’m out of luck. I’ll contact The Smartest House on Monday. I’ll suggest they remove the link to your DTH and if there is no DTH that supports multi button use obviously they need to indicate the Hank 4-Button “Doesn’t Work With Smart Things”.

Andrew Morris

1 Like

Have you tried using it with the official smartlighting feature in the new V3 app and see if the other buttons show up there?

Use the three horizontal line icon in the upper left on the home screen and choose smartapps and you should see smart lighting there.

It has some functionality that the automations that you create with the + in the upper right do not.

@TheSmartestHouse

I created a Smartapp as you suggested and the buttons don’t show up. I have a choice of a button to control things and I can choose the Hank 4-button controller as that singular button. Without a device handler that supports four individual buttons for the Hank Scene Controller I don’t see how any smart app would be to able access those individual buttons.

See my last post for a permanent solution…

Have you had any luck with the test version of the handler posted above?

Smart Things won’t let me save the button assignments. See screenshot for message I am getting, Hidden behind the NETWORK ERROR Message under “Then” is the assignment I made which is turning on or off Basement Lights.

I can’t reproduce that with a virtual instance of the handler so delete that automation, close/re-open the new mobile app, and try again because I’m pretty sure that’s unrelated to the button device.

It should work through the Automation feature and it does for me, but going into Automations isn’t necessary because you can set the actions from the child device’s details screen…

I didn’t go thru Automations - I went thru devices to the child device and when I went thru configuring the button Smart Things brought up the screen that says Add automation. There are no automations to delete as presumably no automations were created due to whatever is generating the NETWORK ERROR message. Here are a series of screens shots that hopefully will show you what I am doing.

I’m assuming you can figure out the correct sequence - if the file names show up they are IMG_2451 thru 2456 and in that order.

I’m not sure about iOS, but with Android, if you go through the device details screen to add the automation then you won’t see that “IF” section.

Start over with one of the other buttons so we can rule out something weird happening with your button #2.

It’s the same each of the child buttons 2, 3 and 4

I’m assuming you’re on iOS because I just tested the latest version of the iOS app and it displays the 'IF" section, like in your screenshot, but I can’t get it to display a network error.

Check to see if pushing the physical button 2-4 generates the event on the correct child device because that’s the only feature I couldn’t test and the child device is a built-in handler so there’s no logical reason for it to cause problems with automations.

I can’t reproduce that error when creating a automation through the device details screen or the Automation section using the iOS app and the Android app so if the child devices are creating events then I’m going to release the new version as is and see if anyone else runs into the same problem…

Have you tried using a different device for “Then”?

Are you able to setup automations using the parent as a trigger? If not, have you tried setting up an automation with a different button as the trigger?

Have you tried creating an automation from scratch through the Automation section?

Maybe this is a clue – whatever I program for the parent button to do shows up on all 4 buttons. When I removed all programming from the parent button I still can’t program any of the child buttons and get the NETWORK ERROR message. So it seems maybe the parent is blocking the child buttons from getting programmed somehow?

Since I can’t program any of the child buttons pressing the physical button doesn’t mean anything because there’s no event associated with that button unless I program the parent device.

I did try different devices for “Then” and still can’t get past the NETWORK ERROR message to program a child button.

I’ll try setting up automations and see what I can and can’t do. Might not get to it tonight.

One last thing - I upgraded to iOS 14.0.1 a few days ago. However everything else I’ve done with SmartThings since the upgrade has worked as expected. I think its dubious that iOS 14.0.1 is the problem.

The child devices are not available in automations

I’m going to assume that you mean that when you setup an action for the parent, pushing buttons 2-4 trigger that action, but you don’t actually see a new action added to each child device.

If that’s the case, then that’s caused by events still getting created on the parent for buttons 2-4 which is something I had to do for backwards compatibility and didn’t realize that would happen, but the next version has a setting to fix that.

iOS 14 isn’t supported by the new mobile app so that might explain why you’re getting an error and I’m not, but the child devices have duplicate states which shouldn’t be possible so that might be what’s causing that error.

[RELEASE] Aeotec Nanomote & Hank Scene Controller v 1.1.1

None of the built-in DTHs support the 4 button version of theses devices so I’ve released a new version that creates single button child devices for buttons 2-4.

You must install my Child Button DTH to use this feature.

If you’re currently using the parent device in SmartApps that support multiple button numbers then you should enable the “Create events on parent device for buttons 2-4?” setting. In theory, it’s enabled by default for existing installs and disabled for new installs, but I didn’t test that part.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

1 Like

Tried Replacing lines 276 to 279 with the code you provided below and got the following error message:

org.codehaus.groovy.control.MultipleCompilationErrorsException: startup failed:
script_dth_metadata_244893b0_5b8f_4c52_ae46_e97e91fbf7d1: 903: expecting ‘}’, found ‘’ @ line 903, column 2.
}
^

1 error

I released a new version with a setting that solves that problem and hopefully it will also solve the other problems so there’s no need to change the code.

Make sure you update the main DTH, install that new Child Button DTH, delete the existing child button devices, and save the settings to force it to recreate them.

2 Likes