[OBSOLETE] Google Home Helper (2016)

I assume you are using 1.0.1c…I just did this again matching exactly what you have and I can’t see any issue…and this does error out EVERY time you attempt to create a new scenario? By default the “Switch State To React To” SHOULD be defaulted to On/Off…yours is blank, which is fine, except I don’t know if you did this or the app is sending it over blank.

When I unselect the On/Off it is acting kind of ‘funky’…I am looking into this, but that may be the cause…have you tried to just set it to on before you choose the switch?

Michael, I do run Version 1.0.1c. The switch “Bonne Nuit” I used was a Momentary. I’ve created a new Google switch and:

1. Create a scenario and your app closed when tapping “Switch State To React To”
  2. Turned on the new Google Switch in My Home/Things, create a scenario and your app closed when tapping “Switch State To React To”

This being said, I was able to create a new scenario with “Speaker Control” type and it run perfectly

Replace your line 161 with this:

input "showOptions", "enum", title: "Switch States To React To...", options: ["0":"On/Off", "1":"On Only", "2":"Off Only"] , required: false, submitOnChange:true, defaultValue: "0"

Let me know if that helps at all, and if so, I will publish it as 1.0.1d

This WILL cause all of the options to turn off…I just need to know if this stops the crashing and I will fix the rest of the dependent code.

Michael, currently line 103 is " } ". Should I replace it or insert a new line?

Sorry…161…also be sure to read my updated post as this will break something else, but help me fine tune the error

If that stops the crashing, then try this entire code with the proper fixes:

https://github.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThings/blob/master/Other-SmartApps/test/101d

Stop the crashing. Will try the new code later today. Thanks for your help Michael

No problem…let me know when you test it completely and I will update the documentation.

Can Google Home be triggered by ST to say…announce today’s weather once someone walks by a motion sensor?

Not through Google Home Helper. There are ways by linking it via Bluetooth or via the Chromecast service, but the speaker can’t wake up to anything besides a command.

If you set up HASS (Home Assistant), you can tie in SmartThings and use HASS for all sorts of automations.
HASS is free and runs on almost anything. I run it on an RPi 2.

I do this as follows.

I have HASS set to alert me via the Google Home when someone rings the doorbell, when the garage is open too long, when the washer and dryer are done… etc.

I also made an IFTTT recipe that turns my Google Home into an intercom. It’s not as clean as Alexa’s new implementation, but I did this back in January and it works until Google gets around to copying Alexa.

I also use it to call people in the house if no one is answering the phone and I need to get their attention :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you find any issues? If not I will post the code.

So HASS acts as a web server/proxy server for Google Home to communicate with ST?

well that’s a shame.

Is Google lacking on supporting the appropriate API side of things for it to be able to work with ST?

Alexa has the same issue. There seems to be a reluctance in the industry to allow speakers to simply pop on and give announcements.

Michael, the code resolved my issue. Everything is smooth and working well. Thanks

Excellent…for anyone monitoring this thread, please update to 1.0.1d.

Correct.

Setting up MQTT will allow ST and HASS to be in sync. Any device state in ST will reflect the correct state in HASS and vice versa.

It also gives a more configurable interface than ST.

I haven’t jumped on getting a Google Home yet; just doesn’t seem much more than novelty right now for my needs. But having the ability to use it instead of my Aeotec Doorbell to do “announcement” would certainly make me look again. Is there something you can point me at that might help me understand that integration (i.e., using HASS to get Google Home to play TTS announcements)? Thanks in advance.

I don’t have a detailed walkthrough but the TTS is a component of HASS

If at a minumum, you set up the following, you can send message to the Google Home. I use this to get the attention of people in the house when they aren’t answering the phone, sms, etc.

To get started, add the following lines to your configuration.yaml (example for google):

# Example configuration.yaml entry for google tts service
tts:
  - platform: google