[OBSOLETE] Google Home Helper (2016)

I’d expect the G to be the default icon - but going into the device, pressing the cog and selecting “Update Icon” I’d expect it to change.

Even more interesting, one of them I’ve swapped back to your device handler, and it’s kept my custom icon; but still won’t let me update it when set to that handler

I haven’t done much work at all on ST custom handlers yet, so bear with me on this one;

But changing

multiAttributeTile(name: “switch”, type: “generic”, width: 6, height: 4, canChangeIcon: true, canChangeBackground: true) {

To multiAttributeTile(name: “switch”, type: “generic”, width: 6, height: 4, canChangeIcon: true) {

Means you can change the icon! Although it no longer allows you to set a photo, but I only want an icon anyway for myself.

This might be a bug in ST interpretation, I’ll try to dig further.

Very good…that is the exact thing to do…and it is quirky…not sure it is a bug, but definitely not what one would expect.

Trying to install the app and cannot find the steps for installing the “monetary switch - google”. After installing the app it does not appear in the drop down list just “monetary switch”. "Google switch does after installing the device handler. What am I missing?

You will basically want to install the code in the devices area of the IDE as outlined here:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Google_Home_Helper#Virtual_Switch_Setup

Let me know if this helps or if you already did this and it still doesn’t show up. It may not be clear, but you do need to publish the code for it to be seen by the system.

I tried to do that but when I came to the Type entry is where I had the problem. In the drop down list box “Momentary Button Tile-Google” does not exits, only “Monetary Button Tile”. The “Google Switch” does exits on the bottom of the list.

Is the momentary item you are seeing at the bottom of the list or in the alphabetical list Midway through? And you are sure you saved and published the device code(which is separate from the app code). Can you give me a screenshot of the DTH page?

Momentary item is half way through the list in alphabetical order. Is there suppose to be device code for the momentary tile? I loaded the app code and the toggle switch code but did not see any for momentary tile.

Ok, I found the code for momentary tile-google. You should update your otherwise excellent documentation to provide the link and and process for installing.

You mean the links here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Google_Home_Helper#Latest_Version

:slight_smile:

No worries if you missed it…glad you seem to have it working.

Been a while since we updated this, and I got a great bug fix from Marty Gentillon that I have merged…Go out and get the update if you run this app:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Google_Home_Helper#Latest_Version

2 Likes

Thank you for all you do for the smartthings community, I am absolutely amazed by this community and developers like yourself. Just sent you a donation for your work, wish I could do more to help. I don’t know how to code but am interested in learning. Could offer help in some other area though (documentation etc).

1 Like

Brent,

I got it and REALLY appreciate it and the kind words! Hit me up if you see opportunities for an application or weak areas of the documentation you find.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

David, just installed, and published, your Google Home Helper. Download everything from Github (except the Cloud Interface). In my smartphone (iOS) I can create Virtual Switched, after typing/selecting Name, Type (Modes/Routines/…) & Control Switch, the ST app close when I tap “Switch States to React to …” . I uninstalled SmartAps & Device Handlers and re-installed but got the same result!

I assume you meant me, as I am the author of Google Home Helper?

Anyway, when you say you get ‘the same result’…what are you referring to?

Sorry Michael, the ST app always crashes when I tap the “Switch States to React to …”. Same behavior if I select a Switch or Routine! Thanks

let me get this re-installed on my device and see what might be happening…stand by

I am not able to reproduce the issue…is it when you chose a certain switch or does any switch cause this? Can you open up your live logging and see if there are any errors (red items) that pop up when you see the crash?

Screenshots will be helpful as well to troubleshoot this.

No error in the live logging. As previously mentioned, I create a New Google Home scenario

After selecting the “Scenario Type” if I tap on “Control Scenario Setting” the screen goes black and I’m back at the iOS menu.

Correction: I double checked and the ST app is still running but I back to the Marketplace/SmartApps tab

Michael, looks like the error it is not switch specific, since I’m having the same results with other switches!