[OBSOLETE] Google Home Helper (2016)

I might be able to…to be clear, are you saying the Google Home wakes up and speaks even when it is not prompted by voice? It sounds like it requires an external server, is that correct?

If it weren’t for me moving and getting a new job, I would hop on this…however, depending on your answers, it may take me a while to wrap a SmartApp around this.

1 Like

Yes, Google Home wakes up and speaks even when not prompted. The service uses a TTP API and cast it to Google Home. I tested and works well. I have the service running on a Raspberry Pi and all I need to do is to do a http POST with the text I want it to speak.

1 Like

But the Raspberry Pi is a requirement I assume so that you ‘locally’ cast the audio? Does it sound like generic TTS or is the voice more pleasing like Google Home itself?

You could have the service running anywhere that supports NodeJS. The service gives you two options: Local http URL or https external url to use. Voice sounds like Google Home.

2 Likes

If you have CoRE installed, it can make web requests based on a variety of triggers, might try that as an alternative to IFTTT.

3 Likes

Good morning and Happy New Year!!

I’ve pretty much quit tinkering with my automation for a while but just started looking at all the new development going on and have started making some changes. Thanks Michael (and everyone else involved) for all your work on this. I just started adding scenarios and already have a couple that will make my life easier! I have a couple of Samsung M7 speakers that I was hoping would work with voice reporting, I know there have been issues with TTS to non-Sonos devices but thought I would give it a try. I’m getting this error when I try to run it:

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script14832920605251768664977.playTrackAtVolume() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String, java.lang.Integer, null) values: [https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-media/tts/290a322d2cbac904115000446e752bf572d33be4.mp3, ...]
Possible solutions: playTrackAtVolume(java.lang.String, java.lang.Object) @ line 470

Is this something that can be fixed? Thanks in advance!!

This appears to be the incompatibility with non-Sonos…sorry, but I don’t have those devices so while these commands should work with Samsung speakers I can’t test them…

Just installed CoRE and it works well. Its exactly what I wanted. When I get home I will compare the delay between using CoRE and IFTTT but this is perfect and gives a great range of possibilities. Case Closed :smiley:

3 Likes

I’d love to get this smart app and donate as I’m about To get GH. But doesn’t GH work out of the box with SmartThings ? I thought it was a standard integration. If so guessing this app increases that capability ?

Finally has anyone using this gotten the ability to specify an artist or album via voice through Spotify to play on sonos? That’s the dream for me.

GHH uses the standard SmartThings integration to operated. Because it doesn’t know about locks, garages, routines, it uses the concept of virtual switches to ‘trigger’ items Google Home can’t do with the standard integration.

If you are interested in donating, the address is: https://paypal.me/mstruck

1 Like

Hi. Great app. Have a suggestion though. I have a GHH routine set up to run a ST routine after a 1 minute delay. I also have it set to send a push notification. Is there any way to make the notification run AFTER the delay occurs? Right now it happens instantly. Reason I want this is so I can say the phrase, and then the smart home monitor arms a minute later as part of the routine after I leave the house and the notification would be a indication this happened. Thanks.

I checked the code and tested this myself…this is ALREADY the way it works already…the code for sending the text or push message is after the rest of the code…

Are you using a control macro? That should be the only one you can set the timer for.

Let me know…

I figured out what I did wrong. I had a momentary push button setup to react to On/Off. I accidentally set the push notification under the OFF setting and the routine/delay were under ON. Change it to react to ON only. My mistake, sorry.

No need to apologize…forced me to look at the code, which is always a good thing :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

Hi, Just send you a small donation to buy you lunch. Thank you for all your hard work.

@Ev1l5anta Fred, Do you mind to share the setup you used with CoRE to get the TTS to work?

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you! You wouldn’t happen to be the Mike Nguyen from Austin Texas, would you…if so, you may have worked for me about 8 years ago :slight_smile:

No, I’ve lived in California for the last 30 years.

Nguyen is a common last name for Vietnamese.

Understood…either way, I appreciate the donation!

If I have a Delay in my command, what if I wish to cancel that command? Let’s say I have a command that after 2 minutes arms my alarm, but then I decide not to go (or I come back in for my keys as usually happens)? I would like to be able to say, “Hey Google, cancel going away” or something like that.

Thanks.