[OBSOLETE] Google Home Helper (2016)

This is a limitation of the SmartThings system in general when developers (like myself) combine the parent and child app into one code base. However, it should not impact you creating and using the app. When you enter the app it should take you to the main menu, NOT the last scenario. If it does, however, simply press the < button in the upper left to go back to the main menu.

This is unlikely to get fixed per SmartThings as the way the single codebase is implemented actually goes against SmartThings standards. However, from a developer standpoint (and giving instructions to end users) it is MUCH cleaner and is why we continue to use this method. When it stops working we will all need to go back to the dual code method…until then the exit after done is a issue we all choose to live with.

1 Like

looking for a little help, i want to use GH to set routines eg “good night google” - set to night mode " good morning google " set to “home”

do i need to create a virtual switch for this and or scenario?

I don’t think you can use the goodnight Google wording…Would probably be “OK Google, turn on night mode” with a virtual switch called “night mode”…That should work fine as that is how mine is set up.

I’ve set up a IFTTT using “Good Night” as the phrase (“Hey, Google, Good Night.”) that trips a virtual switch that runs the SmartThings Good Night routine routine.

Rube Goldberg would be proud! :slight_smile:

Works fine - Google Home doesn’t seem to mind using “Good Night” to kick off the IFTTT action.

Also have a “Good Morning” IFTTT.

Oddly, I wanted to use “nite nite” as the phrase to initiate my IFTTT action (I entered that in the IFTTT as the first/preferred phrase), but Google Home persistently refuses to launch my IFTTT action on that phrase, and just says good night back to me when I say Nite nite. Haven’t been able to figure that one out.

1 Like

Repeated words sometimes confuses the system. Also, your spelling probably confuses the system as well…Try Night Night.

1 Like

Good feedback, thanks! I think I tried “Night night” as well as “Nite Nite” but I’ll give it a try and confirm. Night night is just a lot more fun to say. :smiley:

May also try Nightie night as well, to see if that is less confusing.

[Edit] Just checked, I did have “nighty night” in the IFTTT and that wasn’t working. Changed to “Nightie night” (“nightie” is an actual word, I think “nighty” isn’t used/recognized as commonly) so maybe will work better?) and will try that after brunch.

Someone created a Google Home Notifier that allows you to push text to speech and announcements to Google Home. I’m no dev but thought you could port this to Smartthings as a Smartapp. Here is the Github link for his code if you’re interested: https://github.com/noelportugal/google-home-notifier

2 Likes

I will take a look… Thanks!

1 Like

@MichaelS I am trying to use GHH to send http requests to my Kodi installation. I can get it to work as long as I don’t have a username and password specified on the Kodi web server side. I’d really like to have the ability to set user/password though, is there a way to add this ability to internal HTTP requests? Format is as follows:

http://[username]:[password]@[ipaddress]:8080/jsonrpc?request={“jsonrpc”:“2.0”,“method”:“Player.PlayPause”,“params”:{“playerid”:1},“id”:1}

I’m also trying to make sense of Cloud Interface, if I’m understanding correctly it would make a publicly available URL that would trigger a switch when the URL is called, correct? What would be the difference between this and directly turning a switch on or off through Google Home integration?

The cloud interface is really for remote locations. This would allow you to control items in a second location.

As for your http string that feels very custom to your situation…Do you feel that syntax would be used in other applications?

This functionality would be so awesome. I have been using this app for a month now along with IFTTT to setup custum voice commands for my whole house. I’ve had smart lights and switches in my house for a year or so but adding the GH integration has really made shine. My wife is finally warming up to it also. Thanks for the great app

@MichaelS:

I tried w/"Nightie Night’ and GH remains confused and doesn’t run my IFTTT.

Good night works, as well as “Sleepy time” (but I have to say it somewhat slowly/carefully).

Seems like the duplication of similar words/sounds is the issue. Good to know.

Yeah. It is sometimes a bit inconsistent on what is recognized and what isn’t…

Probably not. It’s not exposed to the internet so I really don’t need a password, I’ll just leave it the way it is.

You can review your google account activity to see what google actually thinks you said. That might help with knowing which spelling google is using as well as what its interpreting you saying.

Thanks…didn’t know I could do that. Where can I see that GH information?

Yeah - it really comes in handy.

https://myaccount.google.com

Then click on “Go to my activity” then “Activity Controls” scroll to “Voice & Audio Controls” and click “Manage activity”

1 Like

Just found it! Thanks…off to spy on myself. :slight_smile:

Interesting…I did find Nighty night in the list once, so it does hear it.

It also sees it as “nighty night” not “nightie night” - so prefers the “y” spelling.

Very helpful. So maybe it’s IFTTT not getting the right words - I need to make sure that I have “Nighty night” set up in the applet.

Thanks!

1 Like

I know I’ve been hijacking your thread with this Google Home TTS wish I have but just an update of my tests.

I tried the Google-Home-Notifier NodeJS application by noelportugal. Installed it on a Raspberry Pi and the way it works it’s mainly a listener that sends TTS to Google Home… if you do a URL POST to the listener it will send a TTS command to Google Home.

All you need to do with the listener running is for example: curl -X POST -d “text=Hello Google Home” http://locaip:8080/google-home-notifier

The listener listen on HTTP if on local network so no problems with HTTPS. I have zero dev skills otherwise I would try to create a Smartapp that you can set when something happens then do a POST to the listener with the text you want Google Home to speak.

Even though this works well and easy with IFTTT, IFTTT service creates a big delay that is annoying… the ideal would be to have this as a Smartapp so you don’t have to deal with the delay.

Just wishing @MichaelS could do such SmartApp :smiley:

1 Like