[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!

With the greatest respect Greg, I think you haven’t used cast-web. I’m listening to Radio 5 Live on 4 Chromecasts, I had a TTS notification come through, then Radio 5 Live resumed again.

this is why i asked the question as im finding the cast api a bit buggy, im having to restat the node/js, device showing playing when there not or there even off

That only works if Cast-Web was what you used to start the content in the first place. Today I was casting to my kitchen speaker from my phone because all my podcasts are synced across multiple devices. A voice notification came through and my podcast did not resume. Personally, I have both Cast-web and Assistant relay set up. Both work simultaneously without a problem. I use cast web to play audio (sound) notifications or control the volume and i use assistant relay for spoken voice notifications. Why can’t we use both for what each does better. :smiley:

3 Likes

Greg:

Thanks for tracking the issue and the updates, really appreciated.

Do you know if the fix from Google will just re-enable TTS automagically, or if we’re going to need to update something to pick up the change?

Thanks.

They’re supposed to rollout a fix in the backend so theoretically, if you never closed the script it should start working again this Friday.

Restarting the script might be needed at some point tho.

As for cast-web, while it’s different from AssRelay, I personally prefer the latter. It’s more robust and more useful for my needs.

1 Like

hopefully there won’t be a delay between Ghs…

Has anyone else noticed that GH is less responsive. Sometimes not answering me all.

1 Like

As @kebel871 said, it should be a backend change at Google so it should magically start working again :slight_smile:

Yep… It’s working again!

2 Likes

confirmed working here again too! =D

Woot!! Back :slight_smile:

Finally! This is such a huge part of my HA.

1 Like

OH yeah… it’s all good

Is there a way of running the node/js on an adriord? how would you log on etc

mine is not working. Tried running the server but nothing happens with google.
Was working before so not sure what to do now

And it did automagically start working again! :slight_smile: Just restarted my Pi (assistant relay is set up to auto-run) and things are beautiful again.

Thanks, Greg for your relay.

@Danabw
How did you get your assistant to auto restart?

mine has to be restarted manually everytime pi goes down

@ghesp

Greg - I just wanted to say thank you for this project. I just recently received my first Google Home device, and was able to have your assistant-relay server up and running on a Raspberry Pi 3 without too much effort. I am actually using this on Hubitat, so I wrote a stripped down device driver for Hubitat that implements the standard “Speech Synthesis” and “Notification” device capabilities to allow any App that supports either of those to send a properly formatted HTTP Post to assistant-relay. It is working great!

Thank you!
Dan

1 Like

Great to hear, it’s one of the reasons I made it as it is so it could be used in any application

1 Like

please help. Did everything from the beginning and still on luck.
It shows forever processing file but nothing from Google side. Normally she announces that the relay is online

What else can it be?

I use PM2 based on suggestions from others here.

Below are notes I saved for my own use from info here and the web:

A pm2 site I looked at: http://pm2.keymetrics.io/docs/usage/quick-start/

Install PM2:
npm install pm2@latest -g

To keep assistant-relay node running in background:
pm2 start index.js --name=“assistant_relay”
pm2 save
pm2 startup
pm2 list

pm2 list displays the current running nodes.

To be safe, maybe search this thread for PM2 info, I don’t want to mess things up by miss-stating how to do it. :slight_smile: